Tool recommendation

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Tool recommendation

Post by joerg »

I got to get my self a non metric socket(ratchet) set and a set of those non metric allens before i leave america!

I bought a Kobalt ratchet set a while ago but that´s the cheapest crap i´ve ever seen in my life! The 3/16 socket didn´t even fit the screws to deassemble a MPS2500. It was too big! :shock: And those screws are 3/16´s for sure! :roll:

Any suggestitions on what to buy that is kind of a quality product.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Canadian tire best tools for the money no comparison.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

gridracer wrote:Canadian tire best tools for the money no comparison.
They might be a little hard to get here in CT i think! :? But thanks!
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

depends on what you want to spend. craftsmen, sk, thorsen i think are good on the cheaper end. snap on is what i prefer. you tend to get what you pay for
dry with match
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

I´m thinking of a 1/4 inch ratchet set plus a full set of allens for arround 100 to 150 USD
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

sears craftsman.

not the BEST, but you cant really go wrong..
I'm afraid of widths.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

joerg wrote:
gridracer wrote:Canadian tire best tools for the money no comparison.
They might be a little hard to get here in CT i think! :? But thanks!
Anything can be shipped.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Opiate
Undertow
Ænima
Lateralus
10,000 Days
and Salival :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

i cant find a good copy of opiate anymore ...of the 3 real cds that i have they all sound like the die was worn out when they pressed them :evil: for 100usd you should be able to get a good set. i had a craftsmen 1/4 inch set for years, it treated me fine
dry with match
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Yeh. I use craftsmam.

I used to have a ton of snap on and mac but I had kids and they all disappeasred. I replaced em with craftsman. I do prefer the smooth handled ratchets over the ones that come in the sets though. Sharp edges can make your hands sore.
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

For my home stuff I use Craftsman and other assorted brands.

At work I use mostly Mac, and some Snap-on
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

which kobalt set did you get? was it the low end one?

I LOVE kobalt tools. lots of them are oem'ed by the same company that makes snap on.

i cant find it on the kobalt site now....

these: http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/xl_pa ... arratchet/

best tool purchase i have made
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

yeah, I just came back to recommend those style of wrenches..
I'm afraid of widths.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

All my tools are craftsman....... Never had an issue with any of it......... I've broken 4 of the 1/2" breakerbars but nuthin else. Years ago, I bought one of the bigger sets and got 3/8 drive SAE's in 12-point shallow and deep, metric shallow and deep, 1/4 drive the same, all of the extensions and a bunch of misc bullshit but it was only like $150 and it all came in the molded plastic carrier. That lasted for years until I had a place for a big toolbox........ I'm a fanboy you could say. :oops:

Hell, I even have a Sears cc for the reason that if I ever NEED a tool and don't have the cash for it........CHARGE it...... :wink: They've never NOT had a tool I've needed and they're open till 10 in the sumer..........
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
joyride

Post by joyride »

Im also a craftsman guy. Good price, good quality. And after using a ratchet underwater or dock installs all summer, I brought it to the store, gave it to the cashier and said it was binding up on me (from all the dirt and water), and they ave me a new one. No questions asked. The powertools are another story though. Ever since being produced in China, they havent been as good. My new 19.2 drill only lasts half as long as my dads that is 6 years old.

Anyone else heard tool on vinyl? Its simply amazing. I highly suggest it. Its too bad 10,000 days isnt out yet. Opiate/undertow were recorded analog and pressed from the master, so it is as good as it gets. Lateralus on the otherhand suffers from clipping on the low end, a result of the conversion from digital. Buts lets face it, Who really cares about Lateralus?
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:All my tools are craftsman....... Never had an issue with any of it......... I've broken 4 of the 1/2" breakerbars but nuthin else. Years ago, I bought one of the bigger sets and got 3/8 drive SAE's in 12-point shallow and deep, metric shallow and deep, 1/4 drive the same, all of the extensions and a bunch of misc bullshit but it was only like $150 and it all came in the molded plastic carrier. That lasted for years until I had a place for a big toolbox........ I'm a fanboy you could say. :oops:

Hell, I even have a Sears cc for the reason that if I ever NEED a tool and don't have the cash for it........CHARGE it...... :wink: They've never NOT had a tool I've needed and they're open till 10 in the sumer..........
I bet that same kit was my 'starter' kit as well, and to this day the blown plastic 'drawers' from it remain in my larger toolbox to keep things organized.
I'm afraid of widths.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

I second this motion:
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/xl_pa ... arratchet/

I have all four sets. I use them a lot....beats a deep socket and it's like buying a full set of ratcheting wrenches (but a lot cheaper)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I am a big fan of Snap-on, SK and KD tools (makers of gearwrench).
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I bought a rachet set from ace hardware a couple of years ago that I have been happy with. I have not broken anything yet but they have an over the counter exchange if I do.

I have broken a number of craftsman tools and not from abusing them.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

Unfortunately Craftsman tools (especially ratchets) are not nearly as good as they once were. They're still pretty decent for the money and obviously carry a good warranty so you really can't go wrong. But for something a little nicer I would also have to recommend Gearwrench. They're well made and have a nice level of precision in their ratcheting mechanism. I'm almost embarrased to say it, but I spent almost as much time in the gearwrench booth at the last SEMA show as any other booth!
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Where did you buy this set b/c I hold Kobalt tools to be the same quality as Craftsman, Snap-On, and Matco :?:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

^thats what i think too!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Tools are only as good as the person using them. lol I've had installers who run the gamut from 1 who spent $20K just on his Snap-on tool Box to 1 guy who refused to buy anywhere besides Harbor Freight. Vowing he could buy 20 tools for the price of my 1 Snap-on tool. I used to laugh every time he opened his box. But he always had a tool for the job and he never fucked anything up. Did great work.

BUT, when it comes to sockets, no one beats Snap-on. I have a set that is going on 27yrs old! They still look brand new and they were used HARD every day. What sets theirs apart, aside from the high tolerances, is a simple, 1 extra machining process no one else does. The points/corners are bored out. Doing this ensures that all the tork force is applied to the flat surfaces of the nut/bolt and not the corners. It makes a huge difference. Many times I've removed a bolt after a Craftsman socket striped it.

As for wrenches, screw drivers, etc., you can throw them in a pile and pick. And any reputable company offers lifetime warranties on hand tools.

Cobalt has good and ugly. I bought some that are still in my box and some that have found their way to the dumpster.
Greg Kitching
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

gkitching wrote: no one beats Snap-on. I have a set that is going on 27yrs old! They still look brand new and they were used HARD every day. What sets theirs apart, aside from the high tolerances, is a simple, 1 extra machining process no one else does. The points/corners are bored out. Doing this ensures that all the tork force is applied to the flat surfaces of the nut/bolt and not the corners. It makes a huge difference. .
The Canadian tire pro series/maximum series are machined exactly the same. I have also been told more than once from different people the pro/maximum were made for Canadian tire by snap-on.