Need help with old alarm in ranger

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Need help with old alarm in ranger

Post by waynehead »

Ok so My buddy wanted to put a little sub in his truck. I told him I would do the work if he got everything. Well everything went in really well. I also installed a new battery terminal during the process. Well as soon ,as I hooked the power back up to the truck (hadnt ever powered up stereo) this old ranger starts quietly dinging and blinking its hazards in a funny pattern. It isnt loud at all, and it gos away when you turn the key on but it wont start and as soon as you take the key out it starts again. We have inquired that it is an old excalibur alarm system that was supposed to be deactivated. I hope someone here has used these and knows of some sort of sequence I am supposed to go through to get this straight. thanks in advance for any help
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Need help with old alarm in ranger

Post by ttocs »

I worked with them at one shop for a few years and was happy when I finally graduated school and switched careers and didn't have to work with them again. We had alot of problems with them forgetting remotes and alot of little problems. often the alarm will go into full alert when you power the car back up, did you try pushing the buttons on the alarm to see what would happen?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Yeah man. Last night he told me he pushed it like 100 times so I thought it was something else. I went out this morning, turned the key on, and held the button 3 seconds til the light stopped flashing. I was obviously impaired last night or just didnt care. I did the whole install in the dark.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no I am willing to bet you almost anything it was the alarm. They had a bad history of forgetting remotes when I worked with them and I would not be suprised if they still did it.
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Yeah I dont doubt it. I read multiple places that you may have to push the button multiple times. Thanks for advice for sure. I was starting to worry I was going to have to go back and eliminate every part of the system that was already supposed to be disarmed. Im sure without any experience it would have been near impossible
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well because of code hopping(which almost everyone uses) you might need to push the button more then once if it got accidentally pushed while in your pocket. That is not necessarily a bad thing as it shows that the old code learning technology will not work on your alarm.

one great example I can remember is that we had a guy come in and buy every option for the alarm he could. Optional pager(this was well before two way tech) interior motion sensor, interior siren, ect. a week later he came back and said that it will just sit there and false alarm all day. After tearing it apart and trying everything I figured out that the add-on pager was setting off the add-on interior motion sensor. You could sit there and watch the led for the pager transmitting on the antenna and a sec later the alarm would again false alarm, again when it sent the signal to the pager it would set it off again and this would go on until the battery dies... I called them and they had no idea and no advice other then to remove one of them. It was all their gear so and there were no warnings about them not working together, they never did update them after either....