RIP MCA

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

RIP MCA

Post by ttocs »

waaaaay too soon....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNmLMs7 ... ture=share[/youtube]
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Re: RIP MCA

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Just finished listening to some B-BOYS as a tribute...R.I.P MCA :beer:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
ROBSCUSTOMSAPK

Post by ROBSCUSTOMSAPK »

R.I.P mca. Old school beastie boys forever.
JVC usb/cd h/u
PG ti eq6
4x PG ti6cs
2x Eminence alpha 12"
2x Incriminator Audio 18" Judges
2x Incriminator Audio 3.4
2x Incriminator Audio 40.1

AUTHORIZED PHOENIX GOLD DEALER.
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

I have always and will continue to stand by my belief that Paul's Boutique was an instrumental turning point in hip hop production and doesn't get nearly enough credit for how influential it truly was. Granted a lot of the concept was already done by the Dust Brothers beforehand, but the end product remains one of my favorite FUCK YOUs to the pop music machine. I can ramble on and on just about this album alone. The first time I got booked to DJ a club up in Brooklyn, my first thought was "I can't wait to drop hello Brooklyn," needless to say the place went bananas.

They did some surprise club shows a few years ago and I was super stoked that one was in Baltimore at a fairly intimate venue (was living in DC at the time)...I was on ticketmaster watching the second hand and started clicking to buy tickets frantically the second they went on sale. Immediately sold out, I was pretty upset. My good friend calls me a few days later all nonchalant like "so yeah I got 2 tickets to that surprise Beastie Boys show no big deal, you interested?" At this point I had already been calling all over town trying to figure out if I knew the promoter or anyone at the venue since it was still kinda new and totally stuck out everywhere. I hadn't seen BBoys since probably 94 or 95 and I kind of had a feeling there weren't gonna be a whole lot more opportunities to so to say I was thankful would be a huge understatement.

I still went in with somewhat low expectations, and I couldn't have been more off. They were fucking fantastic, both MCing with MMMike behind them and playing several of the live instrumentation songs as a band. Biz Markie played an opening "DJ set" which was hilariously terrible but fun and entertaining at the same time, then he joined them for Biz v Nuge and Bennie and the Jets. So so glad I was able to see them one last time. The setlist:

Root Down
Skills to Pay the Bills
Sure Shot
Alright Hear This
No Sleep Till Brooklyn
Shake Your Rump
Egg Raid on Mojo
The Biz vs. The Nuge
Time for Livin'
Sabrosa
B for My Name
Lee Majors Come Again
Remote Control
Body Movin'
B Boys in the Cut
Flute Loop
Pass the Mic
Right Right Now Now
Ch-Check It Out
Ricky's Theme
Lighten Up
Off the Grid
Something's Got to Give
Benny and the Jets
Tough Guy
So What'cha Want
Heart Attack Man
Three MC's and One DJ
Intergalactic
Sabotage
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

My dream was to see therm and watch Mike D scratch it up with his 10 minute intros!!!!

R.I.P MCA...Beastie Boys will NEVER be the same! Good thing is he just got inducted into the Rock-n- Roll Hall of Fame!!! woo hoo! Fight for your Rights bro!!!!! GodSpeed!
Square 1
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I too am disappointed at the idea that I will never get to see them perform all together at one time. I too can remember them being one of my first tapes and have been rocking them right up till last night on my mp3 player. They always put me in a good mood and I have some great memories of things happening with them playing.

To this day when I hear girls it reminds me of my move from indiana to arizona. Needless to say 1700 miles in a 17 ft penske truck with my life packed inside it, my truck on a trailer behind it governed to 70(not that I really wanted to go faster) makes for a looooooong trip. When there is nothing but an am/fm radio you remember when the good songs came on. My girlfriend made the trip with me(sleeping most of the way that bitch) and needless to say we were excited when we made it into the state of az even though we had another 7 hrs of driving to reach pheonix. We were going up hill towards flagstaff and the penske was straining to hit 45 when Girls came on the radio. I flicked the knob so high I had to back down for fear of having to replace a ten cent speaker when I got to phoenix.

Jenny was not a beastie fan and almost acted shocked by the song by the intro. I broke out into the song having a great time when it got to the third verse

GIRLS to do the dishes
GIRLS to clean up my room
GIRLS to do the laundry
GIRLS and in da bathroom! GIRLS!

Jennifer had the most shocked look on her face. I Am fairly sure it was not the fact that I was rapping as much as what I was rapping but she just sat there literally with her mouth open.... She had her good points but as seems is the case with most women good taste in music was not one of them.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

i have a reel that no one has seen before... its a crazy long story... it was from a show in rassiac N.J. april 12 1987. its the final tape transfers from back when they were with capital records... its camera b tape 3... russell simons had a flood in his basement where his studio was... everything in the entire studio was ruined. water was down there for a couple weeks and the only thing that survived was this reel. the reel was on top of a cabinet that was screwed into the wall. no one was ever to know about this reel and the reel just came to light around christmas time... i have no idea whats on the tape.. i will have to go get it transferred to cd and sit there and watch them until its completed.. this by far has to be the rarest of the rarest of all.... i wonder what the worth is...????
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

OK first, who are you, as in how do you have access to such a thing, are you in the industry? Second, what exactly do you mean reel? What exactly is the film? Third, I would not trust it to any business to do a transfer even if you watch. They can easily retain the footage without you knowing.
JK

Post by JK »

i will be looking into this reel this week.. the funny thing is that its been 25years since the date on the reel. last 25 years ago japan released a beastie boys album over in japan.. i bet i know who would be interested in it..