anyone ever sold something on craigslist to a crack head?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

anyone ever sold something on craigslist to a crack head?

Post by ttocs »

Finally got a nibble on the RSD amps I decided to sell after upgrading to the elites. Guy said he wanted them and would take them today if I could deliver as he didn't have his car today. I normally ONLY meet people in public places but I figured that it was at his house I was meeting him at that it didn't seem to concern me. I got to his place and he was in the garage working on a jetski, 5 ft away from his acural MDX with 22's on it(even though he said he didn't have a car), with a pile of car audio gear stacked up in the corner of the garage. Seemed a little fishy from the start and then when we started talking I was actually getting concerned. He said he bought all the gear in the past month or so and while I didn't see anything that screamed "STOLEN" on it like rca's or power wires cut rather then disconnect them but it all seemed wierd.. The guy was really jumpy, went from on subj to the other and could not stand still for more then a few mins. I just wanted to get the hell out so I told him I would let them go for the price we agreed on and sure enough he pulls out a wad from his Pocket to pay and I was off.

Anyone else ever had a sketchy deal like this? Never felt so justifed in my decision to buy a gun last year and bring it along that day, and just happy I didn't need to use it. I am not even sure how many times I have sold stuff on CL so I guess I was due to have a sketchy deal. Anyone have a similar story?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dwnrodeo

Re: anyone ever sold something on craigslist to a crack head

Post by dwnrodeo »

I had a similar dealing with a Craigslist transaction. A friend and I drove to Detroit to purchase a Xenon X600.1 from a guy who lived on 14 Mile Rd. (think Eminem and 8 Mile) I arrived at the house and was greeted by a very attractive woman dressed in business attire who at first didn't know anything about an amp for sale but said, "Hold on, let me go get my boyfriend." So far so good I thought. As my friend and I were standing in the entrance waiting, we began to take in our surroundings. The house was in disarray with the original Mario Bros. on the television looping the game music over and over and a guy passed out face down on the couch. A few awkward minutes later this guy comes from a back room wearing only underwear and looking like death with the amp and orignal box in hand. I look the amp over and say I'll take it to which he replies, "This is my friends amp, how much is he asking for it?". I told him $100 and got the hell out of there. The whole transaction was unsettling but it worked out alright.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

also forgot I almost had a great ending to that story. When I got home I was going to put a status update on FB about it and was just about to push enter when it occured to me, this is a small town.... I mean honestly its the 3rd largest city in indiana with almost 400k people but really with only 400k and living here 35 yrs its funny how we know someone who knows them when you first meet someone one. So just for kicks I did a search to make sure we didn't have any friends in common and wouldnya know it we have 2 mutual friends. How much fun would that have been?

me - Sold two amps today to a really tweeked out crackhead.
friend - didn't tony buy some amps today?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats too funny.

the only weird CL experience i had was buying some rsd speakers from a kid. when i got there (he wanted to meet on the top floor of a parking garage...very drug deal like) he had his geo storm packed with 3 other friends and tried like hell to sell me cases of energy drinks i had never heard of.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have done dozens of deals on there from az to indiana now and never had an issue or concern prior. I only took my gun this time because I have got use to carrying it now and want it around for situations just like that. Prior to having it I never even thought to bring a knife or anything other then the gear I was going to sell or the cash I needed to buy it.

Really tripped me out when he commented on my ring, one of the reasons I have started to carry more often. Best christmas present I ever got this year. It was my grandfathers that did some trading and wheeling/dealing because he liked it so much and while it isn't cheap the centimental value on it puts it right up with momstang. So yea reinforced the thoughts I have been having for a while now that one day I might need a gun, as well as if I want to take the ring to another craigslist deal :idiot: Forgot I had it on as I was out the door, won't do that again.

Fuck man now that I think of it all the shitty ghetto neighborhoods I ended up in around phoenix going to/from games downtown strangly enough this little crackhead midwest town has flipped me out more then the zeta's out there...
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

I ALWAYS take my pistol when I meet up with someone from craigslist or facebook.(theres a bunch of online yard sale pages around here). You just never know who your dealing with. I have my carry permit so i just strap it on and go. I think just the presence of it makes people think twice.

I met a guy at the mall one friday nite bout 11:30. He had been textin all day about this POS Boss dvd player i was selling. I figured it was cool as he was supposed to have just got off work. I roll up to this crappy looking caddy on 20's. He gets out.I open hatch on blazer to get dvd out and out of corner of my eye i notice 4 more dudes get out of caddy and start shuffling my way. I my eyes on the driver and just casually unzipped my jacket.Showing the .40 peeking out from shoulder holster. The 4 dudes just kinda stopped and talked then went and leaned against the caddy. I took my money and got the hell out of there.

That was my last nite deal. Give me daylight and a public place.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I avoid Craigslist for this reason. Give me internet anonymity and checking the mail any day.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have probably bought and sold 50 different things on CL just for the ease and cheapness of it all, as well as not shipping stuff. Majority of the deals were done out in phoenix and I honestly never once had a time where I felt like it wasn't cool. Funny though that the county next to me has had the highest meth busts in the state for a few years so the nice safe Midwest - dunno? I actually saw the crackhead and his car last week as he drove by and almost drove either over the median on the left hand turn or was about to crash head on into the car in the other left hand turn lane waiting for his light to change.

Since I got my gun last year(first pistol or gun purchase ever for me) and got my CCw I have now grown use to carrying it and thankfully have not needed any reason to draw it. Now I had my hand on it for the entire time I was with crackhead and it was the first time that I was just happy to have it on/in hand.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Have you seen this?
Attachments
Map.jpg
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yup that hit the nail right on the head as I am square in the jesus crack area.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Yeah, I try to handle all craigslist transactions at my own home and with me in my underwear. It is just a more professional experience for the both of us...

Actually in reality I have been doing craigslist without ever meeting anyone. My wife's family owns a very well known liquor store in the nearby city. Pretty much anything I find on craigslist is from that city. So, what I do is if I buy something I call my father-in-law and tell him what I bought and how much it was. He hands his employees the cash and they hold it. I send the seller to the store to drop off the item and when in hand the money is handed over. I then wait until the weekend to go to the city to visit my in-laws, and the item will be waiting for me at their home. I pay my father-in-law and everything works out OK.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Eric D wrote:Yeah, I try to handle all craigslist transactions at my own home and with me in my underwear. It is just a more professional experience for the both of us..
Now thats funny. ^^

But there are some people who actually do this. I am not big on CL, as it looks as if a 9 year old kid designed it. It is not near as big in Canada as it is in the States. The one i am partial to is Kijiji. I have bought everything from stereo, trucks, rims, ps3, even my house, lol (not kidding) there. I have run into a few situations where the people were a little too..... comfortable. I bought an Xmax last week in Niagara Falls, ON. The dude wasnt home but his wife and 4 screaming kids were. Her, in a nightgown (at 12 oclock) and dirty diapers rolled up all over the floor. :puker:

I have never been in a situation where i felt threatened, in fact most of the stereo deals have turned out to be with real good guys. I even hung around and shot the shit about the good old days of PG with a couple guys i met 2 weeks ago when i bought my EQ. But after reading this thread i think my night time deals will be few and far between. We cannot carry here (and i have no desire to), but there is always a knife in my truck, just in case.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so yer sayin all your craigslist meetings have happy endings eric?
Lux

Post by Lux »

yeah, happy to get away from the guy in the custom racing striped underwear. :shock: :?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

See, this is what I'm talking about......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zco07IJXUM#!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

THAT was not too far from it. But imagine the dude a touch more manic/hyper/cracked out and in a garage(complete with couches and a table) so it made getting out easy. Still had to say good bye to the dude 3-4 times before I finally got out. I just remembered the ending too, funny enough with me being a righty, and my gun in my right pocket/hand I damn near waved good by with my 9mm :)
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Nothing to do with craigslist but a roommate of mine wanted to buy a gun but insead of him going to gun store he got a gun from some FN crack head. So the gun ended up not working my roommate wants his money back crackhead has no money my roommate kicked his door down stole his playstation and all of the games then drops all that shit off at my buddy house for safe keeping. I had no idea that any of this had happened.I hear a truck pull up to my garage at my house I walked out truck stoped at the end of my driveway dude walks up says he is looking for my roommate. I walked into the house tell him some dude is in the driveway looking for him and walk back into my garage back to bullshiting with a couple of freinds in the shop. Next thing you know I hear them yelling back and forth so I walked outside dude man starts flashing a gun tucked in his FN pants I have no idea what the fuck is going and for some dumbass reason I start yelling at dude he is flashing this gun some how I got him to go back to the truck that was waiting at the end of my driveway and they took off.............Then I fliped apeshit on my roommate over the whole deal
Right after all that my buddy that has the playstation shit shows up I told him every thing that happened the he flipped apeshit went and got his ak with his brother in law went to dudes house walked in to his house dude went to flash his gun my buddy grabed and pistol whiped him with the fucking BB gun!!!!!!!!!!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

man we have kijiji and i have sold alot of things on there most i get people to show up at my work but i have never had a single problem...
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Sometimes I wish theyd do away with the borders and go to a continental currency kind of like the EURO.

I wouldnt even begin to understand the logistics or ramifications of it,but it would be nice to trade with you guys up north without the high shipping costs and having to deal with customs.

You guys seem to be pretty cool guys to deal with.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

screw that as I am sure mexico would want in on that as well and there is no way I want to pick their economy up with ours....
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:screw that as I am sure mexico would want in on that as well and there is no way I want to pick their economy up with ours....
Step 1: Annex Mexico
Step 2: Legalize marijuana
Step 3: Tax the hell out of it
Step 4: ????
Step 5: Economy fixed! (profit!)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not even the profit from pot could help to correct their economy. We have enough of our own economic problems to take on theirs. I am ALL for the legalization but I don't think that will pull mexico out of the economic funk they have been in for ever.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

ttocs wrote:screw that as I am sure mexico would want in on that as well and there is no way I want to pick their economy up with ours....
I gotta be honest where i live it feels like weve already done that as every job I bid goes to the illegal lowballers anyway,lol
Kirghiz wrote:
Step 1: Annex Mexico
Step 2: Legalize marijuana
Step 3: Tax the hell out of it
Step 4: ????
Step 5: Economy fixed! (profit!)
I dont think well ever get the economy straightened out,lol
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I moved from phoenix in '09 so I know that feeling.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:not even the profit from pot could help to correct their economy. We have enough of our own economic problems to take on theirs. I am ALL for the legalization but I don't think that will pull mexico out of the economic funk they have been in for ever.
Well, the infrastructure would have to be brought up to US standards, and of course the government corruption would need to be addressed. But, legalizing marijuana would have a similar effect on the corruption that ending prohibition had in the United States in the 1930's. Another byproduct of that is hemp, which can be used for making paper and cloth for clothes and linens, and other products I'm sure. It would give Mexico a legal cash crop similar to cotton and create industry for Mexico that doesn't currently exist. Couple that with the fact that all of the tourism in Mexico would see a boon from not requiring a passport to get there, and all of a sudden the economy is greatly improved.

That isn't to mention that businesses there would have to pay the U.S. minimum wage, which would eliminate all of the under cutting and cheap labor that we see now.

In the very least, that economy would be brought to the level of the rural southern United States, which is nowhere near the level of other parts of the country.