Lincoln is gone

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Mackenzie wrote:Also Ide probably end up going with the 4 cylinder. Are their still some good upgrades for the 4 cylinder model to make it pretty fast.
ok a few reasons why thats not a good idea.

#1 - with the crankwalk the more you up the power the quicker that flaw becomes apparent.
The 4cyl is slow, keeping it stock keeps it reliable but then you have to put up with a snail.
As soon as you start putting on high power/performance parts the more it turns into a car you take to a race on a trailer. The less reliable it becomes basically.

Thats something that the dickhead kid from round the corner could not fathom. Sure his one was 400WHP but he didnt realise that it would only do 4-5k miles before all new piston rings and service parts (and a engine rebuild to keep it in tip top) would have been nessessary.

So that leaves you with a dilemna. Buy a car and spend aload of cash making it fast but horrifically unreliable, or buy a car thats already fast as stock and therefore reliable (used WRX, Legacy, MR2 and so on).

Its like that old saying. Why pour perfume on a pig when you can just buy the fucker without all the headaches?

Also look into VR6 jettas.
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Pandy wrote:Experience.
8 grand... what a laugh. At my dealer a new turbo was $1200, I got it for $650 shipped, new, with a ported compressor housing and larger clipped turbines via my tuner. 8 grand is more than a new engine costs... are you sure they weren't taking the piss? Seriously, I have seen these turbos go every week for $200 on eBay.

Turbos almost always wear out faster than the engine does (unless the engine can't hold the boost, which is not the case in the Ecopower engine)... they need to be replaced just like other maintenance items. I have heard of many turbo replacements on Saabs, but 85% of them are in the low pressure models (non-Aero) with the less reliable Garrett GT17. The TD04 is actually quite a flawless piece, and many people have taken them up to 200tkm and above without replacement.

As long as you aren't afraid to buy parts yourself, the car is just as affordable to repair as any other. I'll agree though, the dealerships are completely full of shit... 130 amp alternator? $1200... same as the turbo. OR I can get WranglerNW to fab me up a 195 amp externally regulated monster alternator for half the price. Damn, I wonder what i'll choose. Suspension... $3k, or... buy aftermarket for $1k. Catalytic converter broken? Stock downpipe costs $2600... or go to a tuner and get a 3" downpipe with a race catalyst for $550.

I bought my car for less than most people here pay for a similar year Pontiac Sunfire or Chevy Cavalier. These things depreciate like mad, and nobody knows the brand, so they can be STUPIDLY cheap. Working on them is easy enough.. I only had to go to the shop for suspension, otherwise i've been able to do everything within a few hours in my garage. Surprisingly enough since they sell Saabs with Saturn dealerships here, the flat rate labor price is cheap, so if you supply the parts it's just as cheap as a Saturn or any other beater domestic. My next car, when the price drops, is going to be an '05 9-5 Aero. No doubt about it.

I don't think you have to worry about Mack's money though. He is already talking about tuning a used car before he even has one (and fixed all of the problems with it first). Anyways, his parents are loaded, so i'm sure they'll help him out when he blows the engine.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Get a real car - 89-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe. There's many, many clean ones around for less than your budget limit. Parts a plenty and its domestic. Aftermarket parts are also plentiful at all budget levels.

Factory standard features:
- 3.8 liltre V-6 - cast iron block, aluminum heads, 2 valves per cylinder
- Eaton M90 Ssupercharger (240HP)
- Autos and 5 speeds
- Front engine, RWD, positraction of course.
- 4 wheel ABS disc brakes - upgradable with Lincoln Mk VIII parts.
- Automatic Ride Control - shocks have servos that turn the absorber shaft 90 degrees, providing a smaller orifice to stiffen the action. Manual control or auto mode. Auto mode activates the system under hard acceleration, hard braking, hard cornering, erratic sterring or above 90 MPH.
- Recaro inspired seats - 6way power plus air pumped side bolsters and lumbar controls.
- '94/'95 models have interior air bags
- 30 MPG if you drive normal.
- Very rare car. You'll have one of very few, if any, in town.
- They look fabulous - discreet - no badges.

These engines were engineered for superchargers. The bottom end is bullet proof.
Install a cold air intake, open up the exhaust with performance cats and undersize the SC pulley and your closing in on 300 HP.
Large car as well. I'm well over 6 feet tall. This car fits me.
And the ride.....It rides like Lincoln but turns into a Rice Eater with a push of the pedal.

An even more rare model is the Mercury Cougar XR7 from 1989 or 1990. Exact same car underneath, different skin and only produced those years. A 5 speed car here is really rare.

Hit my www button, then select Super Coupes for some examples.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Mack you know what myself or Fowler will tell you.

Long story short I have worked on many cars and the first brand I would avoid would be Mitsubishi, in fact I would take a KIA over it any day.

Do us and yourself a favor go drive a Legacy, Civic/Accord/Integra, Jetta/Golf, 3 series, Maxima, or Celica/MR2. All of these will have a different feel and different interior layout, while in the drivers seat reach out a see if the controls you will need are laid out well and comfortable to access, make certain you get the throttle response you like, feel the body roll into corners, good visibility for the driver, etc..... If you don't feel in tune with the car it will never work.

Okay here it is I know you were expecting it, while driving your various cars listen to the road. The german cars are far more solid than the others so will typically outweigh the rest meaning they hold the road a little better in everyday applications and are far quieter while driving down the road.

HH, no offense intended, the Thunderchicken is a great road car but it just does not cut it for the maneuverability and "quickness" I think Mack is going for. He just got rid of a Lincoln which is essentially the same chassis and same motor N/A not S/C though.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

bdubs767 wrote:eclipse = girls car
quoted for mutha fuckin trouth.

the engines really are garbage, they are one of my favorite cars to pick on. people think that because they have a 3.0 in them that they must be fast.....i trounce them OFTEN with my 2.8

if you were gonna go girly coupe with a heavy as underpowerd v6 you might as well get the Accra cl or Toyota solaria....at least they have nice interiors.

I'm not gonna dive into the Saab debate much, they are no different than ANY other car out there. every car has flaws, and they are just something you have to be prepared for ahead of time. i personally don't like the lack of lowed pull in the Saabs, but thats just me. once the boost spools up they got some decent go.

as a bimmer guy of course i am gonna say snag a mid to late 90"s 325, 328, 525 or 528. all are very solid, deceptively fast (see picture I took on last new years eve), and are surprisingly cheap to maintain. just shop carefully, many have been abused and you will probably have to pick thorough a pile of coals to find a gem.
Attachments
speedo before:
speedo before:
spedo_last_night.jpg (44.96 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
speedo after:
speedo after:
spedo_this_morning.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

HoseHead wrote:Get a real car - 89-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe. There's many, many clean ones around for less than your budget limit. Parts a plenty and its domestic. Aftermarket parts are also plentiful at all budget levels.

Factory standard features:
- 3.8 liltre V-6 - cast iron block, aluminum heads, 2 valves per cylinder
- Eaton M90 Ssupercharger (240HP)
- Autos and 5 speeds
- Front engine, RWD, positraction of course.
- 4 wheel ABS disc brakes - upgradable with Lincoln Mk VIII parts.
- Automatic Ride Control - shocks have servos that turn the absorber shaft 90 degrees, providing a smaller orifice to stiffen the action. Manual control or auto mode. Auto mode activates the system under hard acceleration, hard braking, hard cornering, erratic sterring or above 90 MPH.
- Recaro inspired seats - 6way power plus air pumped side bolsters and lumbar controls.
- '94/'95 models have interior air bags
- 30 MPG if you drive normal.
- Very rare car. You'll have one of very few, if any, in town.
- They look fabulous - discreet - no badges.

These engines were engineered for superchargers. The bottom end is bullet proof.
Install a cold air intake, open up the exhaust with performance cats and undersize the SC pulley and your closing in on 300 HP.
Large car as well. I'm well over 6 feet tall. This car fits me.
And the ride.....It rides like Lincoln but turns into a Rice Eater with a push of the pedal.

An even more rare model is the Mercury Cougar XR7 from 1989 or 1990. Exact same car underneath, different skin and only produced those years. A 5 speed car here is really rare.

Hit my www button, then select Super Coupes for some examples.

HH
Is that the same POS 3.8v6 that was in my 92 taurus LX? the one that loves to devour head gaskets? :lol:
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Found some jetta's in the price range, but honestly without some sort of a body kit, they look like a bitch car.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:I'm not gonna dive into the Saab debate much, they are no different than ANY other car out there. every car has flaws, and they are just something you have to be prepared for ahead of time. i personally don't like the lack of lowed pull in the Saabs, but thats just me. once the boost spools up they got some decent go.
I should come down there and show you my car... it's quite different than any Saab you would imagine. With the Abbott Racing GT17 hybrid turbo, a new 3" exhaust, and a Nordic Stage 3 tune... holy hell, that thing is nothing but low end grunt. I'd see what you mean comparing a naturally aspirated engine against the TD04 turboed (Aero) models, and older Saabs... they have some lag until 2000, then ZOOM. Mine would haul ass off the line... hell, it hits peak boost (1-1.4 bar depending on gear) at 2000rpm... but on the highway it would be a tight match against an untuned Aero.

One cool feature of the Aero in a manual car is that it has an overboost function that allows the turbo to put out 1.4 bar for short periods of time (for overtaking). Coupled with longer duration cams the things still scare the shit out of me, but from a stop i'd take them 8)
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Dood Mak, just realize that you're looking at some small cars. It's going to be like going from a refidgerator box to a micorwaye box.
Boomshackalacka
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I dont mind. Im used to driving small cars aswell.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:
Bfowler wrote:I'm not gonna dive into the Saab debate much, they are no different than ANY other car out there. every car has flaws, and they are just something you have to be prepared for ahead of time. i personally don't like the lack of lowed pull in the Saabs, but thats just me. once the boost spools up they got some decent go.
I should come down there and show you my car... it's quite different than any Saab you would imagine. With the Abbott Racing GT17 hybrid turbo, a new 3" exhaust, and a Nordic Stage 3 tune... holy hell, that thing is nothing but low end grunt. I'd see what you mean comparing a naturally aspirated engine against the TD04 turboed (Aero) models, and older Saabs... they have some lag until 2000, then ZOOM. Mine would haul ass off the line... hell, it hits peak boost (1-1.4 bar depending on gear) at 2000rpm... but on the highway it would be a tight match against an untuned Aero.

One cool feature of the Aero in a manual car is that it has an overboost function that allows the turbo to put out 1.4 bar for short periods of time (for overtaking). Coupled with longer duration cams the things still scare the shit out of me, but from a stop i'd take them 8)
i didnt realize you did those mods, i bet that changed things quite a bit. i havnt ever road in any with upgrades.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

oh mack
just buy a honda civic and then paint it 14 different colors and
load it with stickers and join the rice community.

actually im kidding.

actually if you want a decent good car with power(and potencial)
get a lexus is300

i really like mine and i seen 01 with turbo and rims going for mid 14k

my friend just boostedhis and it boogies.
good luck
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:oh mack
just buy a honda civic and then paint it 14 different colors and
load it with stickers and join the rice community.

actually im kidding.

actually if you want a decent good car with power(and potencial)
get a lexus is300

i really like mine and i seen 01 with turbo and rims going for mid 14k

my friend just boostedhis and it boogies.
good luck

i think he said he is looking to stick around 8

but a is300 is a baddass car....esspecialy with a turbo
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

Pandy wrote: Is that the same POS 3.8v6 that was in my 92 taurus LX? the one that loves to devour head gaskets? :lol:

eeeh sorry they are not even close to the same motor!!!!!!!!!!
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Mackenzie wrote:Found some jetta's in the price range, but honestly without some sort of a body kit, they look like a bitch car.
If you are looking at 92.5-98 be forewarned they have electrical quirks and serious booty roll at factory height. I personally suggest you look at 01 and up or 92 and down VW's. If you want the MKIII body lower it asap and have a spare set of window switches on hand, and do not get the GL model shoot for the GLS or GLX the latter of the two has the 2.8L VR6 motor stock. Tinted and dumped it'll lose the chick car appearance pretty quick.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

VW337 wrote:
Mackenzie wrote:Found some jetta's in the price range, but honestly without some sort of a body kit, they look like a bitch car.
If you are looking at 92.5-98 be forewarned they have electrical quirks and serious booty roll at factory height. I personally suggest you look at 01 and up or 92 and down VW's. If you want the MKIII body lower it asap and have a spare set of window switches on hand, and do not get the GL model shoot for the GLS or GLX the latter of the two has the 2.8L VR6 motor stock. Tinted and dumped it'll lose the chick car appearance pretty quick.
I was looking at the 01 and up actually..
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

the 2.8 jetta/gti will keep up with my car up about 80, and arent bad looking at all. as errin said, EVERY 3rd gen jetta has serious build quality issues
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Mackenzie wrote:
VW337 wrote:
With that said, I advise to look at and drive the GTi over the jetta. Far better balance and handling all the way around, and little lighter. If you go this route I have a dual 15" enclosure for ya.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

VW337 wrote:
Mackenzie wrote:
VW337 wrote: If you are looking at 92.5-98 be forewarned they have electrical quirks and serious booty roll at factory height. I personally suggest you look at 01 and up or 92 and down VW's. If you want the MKIII body lower it asap and have a spare set of window switches on hand, and do not get the GL model shoot for the GLS or GLX the latter of the two has the 2.8L VR6 motor stock. Tinted and dumped it'll lose the chick car appearance pretty quick.
With that said, I advise to look at and drive the GTi over the jetta. Far better balance and handling all the way around, and little lighter. If you go this route I have a dual 15" enclosure for ya.
I personally cant stand the look of the gti. I like the jetta much better. Is it easy to make the 4 cyclinder jetta fast. How is installing audio in it?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

if its the 1.8t four cylinder.....yes. if its the 2.0...no
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

So what kind of upgrades should be included into the jetta to get it up to some real speed.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Another thing if I were to find a deal on a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 is it really that difficult to make the 2.0s fast?

No one answered how easy audio goes in them aswell?
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

Mackenzie wrote:Another thing if I were to find a deal on a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 is it really that difficult to make the 2.0s fast?

No one answered how easy audio goes in them aswell?
2.0 = 2slow can be made fast but it will cost you more $$$$ v.s 1.8

1.8 = the metric assload of go fast parts aval.

audio = I will let Errin explane that one to you. :wink:
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

you love the benz so much why not get one?
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Mastiff wrote:you love the benz so much why not get one?
Anyone that takes a look at my price range will know why a benz does not come into play.