shitty week

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

shitty week

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

been through alot of bullshit this last week and a bit. Just blowing off steam and getting drunk as fuck for tonight.
Anyone else had a shitty week???

end of rant...lol!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
joerg
SOFA-KING

Re: shitty week

Post by joerg »

Not really a bad week, besides the to the pilots saying a "little turbulent" flight from Sao Paul to Frankfurt yesterday.

Never the less enjoy the beers! 8)
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Thanks Joerg, I did!!! Now Im enjoying my morning cup o JAVA!!! 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

hope the hang over isn't too bad.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Im too old for hangovers!!!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Drock

shitty week

Post by Drock »

Not necessarily had a bad week but it was stressful as hell. Going through my mother in laws stuff that past away last year. Getting ready for the garage sale this long weekend was killer. Old people keep so much shit and dishes galore. Anyway today was first day of sale. The wife cried every time she sold something. I felt pretty bad for her. On the flip side we made $1600 for the first day. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. Oh I found a beer fridge is the pile of stuff, so that got plugged in and stocked right away. The perfect addition for the new garage for the summer.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:Old people keep so much shit and dishes galore.
I'm an auctioneer, been doing it about ten years now, and my company does a lot of estate sales, so I have seen what you're going through a thousand times over. I've emptied houses that are far worse than anything you see on an episode of hoarders. Not nasty places, we don't take those, but there was this one house where the lady spent all of her time watching QVC, and seemingly ordered two or three of everything. I shit you not, the house had 18" pathways through the house, and there was a sight line between the sofa and TV, but everywhere else in the house was floor to ceiling QVC boxes, things she ordered and hadn't even opened. Apparently she slept on said couch because even the beds were all buried.

I live in Virginia in a town on the West Virginia border, so we do a lot of work in West Virginia. I'm here to tell you, West Virginia hoarders put hoarders in other places to shame.

This past week (staying on topic) we actually got seven 16' trailers and two 18' box truck loads worth of stuff out of an average size 3 bedroom house, and we still have to go back and get more. There was more glassware in that house than I have ever seen in one estate. Usually it only takes one trailer and one truck load to empty a house that size, at most we need a second trailer.

Pretty much every estate we work on, even the easy ones, the heirs/executor/whomever says three things to us. "Have you ever seen such a mess?", "I'm going to start cleaning so I don't do this to my kids", and "I can't believe he/she had so much stuff".

If it makes you feel better, I can honestly say without even seeing what you're dealing with, it can be worse. Lol
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

I know right!! My mom passed last March and I still havent got up the nerve to go up to Dickenson County,VA. and spend a week going through all her stuff(crap).

Theres a 10'x16' storage shed there that is literally floor to ceiling,wall to wall packed such that you can barely slide the door open. All thats in that building is decorations Christmas,Halloween,Thanksgiving,Arbor day(lol). Not to mention all the stuff in the house.

I had recently moved her back there to the homeplace to be close to and take care of my mamaw.I was still in the middle of remodeling it for her when both mom and mamaw passed within a month of each other.

So at least most of its still in boxes.Bunches and bunches of boxes. Did I mention there were boxes? 8)

I feel for wife.I know how it feels. Im sorry for her loss. Losing a mother is something I think will never get easier. Im so dreading that day when I have to go through those boxes!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

funny my folks are just the opposite. The one thing my dad collects is stamps but a fairly small/rare area that he specializes in. He actually wrote a book on the material last year, has put together a medal-winning collection that I think he said yesterday he was sending off to Iceland for an show to display. He is always showing me stamps that he says they only know of 2 or 3 of this type of stamp, super rare this, bla bla bla. He has been collecting them since he was a kid, its something he really loves and is afraid to leave us with. Last year he started talking about selling the collection off and all I could tell him is that it could not happen till he finds something to keep him occupied in retirement(or he will drive us all crazy). Told him I was not afraid to be stuck with I his collection, worst case scenario it sounds like my bro and I can live like ex-presidents with free postage for life with all the stamps we would have - I don't think that comment helped much.....
Drock

Post by Drock »

I think what hit me most today, was the reality of what a lifetime of ones collecting, and the things we love, and think are so important us, one day all become meaningless and worth a couple grand in a garage sale. I found myself looking at all my things, thinking why did I think I need all this stuff.
(Except my elite amps) I definitely need those. In fact I think I'll take them with me.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I collect some things, coins and carnival glass mostly, but where I am in the business I see it all so much, it's just stuff to me. I have three rules that I adhere to when deciding to collect things. It has to maintain its value so you can sell it at any time and get your money back out of it, it has to be a good piece of what you collect (not junk), and you have to enjoy it. As long as it does those three things, collect away I say.

There is a huge distinction between a closet full of beanie babies, baseball cards, or nascar memorabilia, and a closet full of car audio gear. All things being equal, if you bought the audio equipment used, chances are pretty good you'll get your money back when you no longer enjoy it. Just be sure and leave your kids instructions on who to talk to about selling it, and how to find them so they don't give it all away at the wrong venue, like a yard sale, pawn shop, or flea market.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Drock wrote:I think what hit me most today, was the reality of what a lifetime of ones collecting, and the things we love, and think are so important us, one day all become meaningless and worth a couple grand in a garage sale. I found myself looking at all my things, thinking why did I think I need all this stuff.
(Except my elite amps) I definitely need those. In fact I think I'll take them with me.
So true. I remember mom saying a couple years ago (If I die you will just sell off all this stuff Ive cherished.)I said jokingly at the time that she was probably right. And honestly I have no use for any of it.Its kind of a shame but its the truth. I have too much crap of my own I really need to get rid of instead of leaving it for my son to deal with. I gotta a room full of old comics and mini r/c stuff among other things.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I have yet to find a good piece of car audio gear at a yard sale, lol.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

This is my shitty week. 60 hours a week at work for the last 9 months, save the last 2 weeks. Wore out, things just don't seem to click at all at work this week and to top that off I had to get out of the house as the whole family is pissed off at me. How dare I disaplen my daughter for telling me no and not listening, but I'm the ass according to my wife.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

ttocs wrote:funny my folks are just the opposite. The one thing my dad collects is stamps but a fairly small/rare area that he specializes in. He actually wrote a book on the material last year, has put together a medal-winning collection that I think he said yesterday he was sending off to Iceland for an show to display. He is always showing me stamps that he says they only know of 2 or 3 of this type of stamp, super rare this, bla bla bla. He has been collecting them since he was a kid, its something he really loves and is afraid to leave us with. Last year he started talking about selling the collection off and all I could tell him is that it could not happen till he finds something to keep him occupied in retirement(or he will drive us all crazy). Told him I was not afraid to be stuck with I his collection, worst case scenario it sounds like my bro and I can live like ex-presidents with free postage for life with all the stamps we would have - I don't think that comment helped much.....
I was just reading through some of the comments here and your caught my eye! LOL I know how you feel, My dad collects old fishing reels and knives. Every time he comes to the house and sees all my car audio gear he looks at me and sez whats the point. I reply back when you go fishing you never catch a damn thing, and you have never stabbed anybody either. Got to love our fathers! :)
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10
PG Elite and Sapphire 6.5 Comps
JL 13TW5 subs
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

my parents other collectable is fiestaware. The pottery stuff that they quit making in the 60s because uranium was used in the orange dye and made it radioactive... Great, stamps I can't mail and pottery I don't want to handle.
Drock

Post by Drock »

That's crazy Scott, must have been pricey pottery. My grandfather also collected stamps. He must have had 20 3" binders full. I think my uncle still has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drock

Post by Drock »

That's crazy Scott, must have been pricey pottery. My grandfather also collected stamps. He must have had 20 3" binders full. I think my uncle still has them.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

they actually got most of it for free. My dad works as a radiation physicist and is licensed by the state to check x-ray machines in a couple of states and has been for decades. It was originally a very popular design for a lot of American kitchens with its bright colors. And then when people got to know more about radiation and uranium they realized that the orange version of the pottery was radioactive. Because of this it was recommended that they not use it, and being radioactive(only lightly) it also wasn't recommended to just throw it in the dump. People turned it in and it made its way back to a place called the nuclear regulatory committee center where he had to go often to turn stuff in, pick up forms, ect. They really didn't know what to do with it either and didn't have the budget to dispose of radioactive waste so they boxed most of it up and it went into the basement. One day he saw it as he walked by, asked around what they were going to do with it and this was years later and they still had no plans for it. He was fairly well respected there having been around for a LONG time so they didn't see any problem with releasing it to someone regarded as an radioactive expert......

He loves to show it off and tell about it to any friend of ours that came into the house, and then loved to get his Geiger counter..... He would put it on its most sensitive setting and then wave the sensor in front of the plate which and the Geiger counter would make that static/clicking noise to let you know that "THIS AIN'T GOOD!!!" and it was about that time he would be ready to catch the plate.

They have also been eating off of them know for decades, yea can't figure out why my digestive system is f'ed.... Mom always liked the design, dad likes mom not mad, you would have thought I broke their hearts 2 years ago when I said I would like to eat off of the regular/non radioactive plates that we also have in the cabinet. "BUT WHY?!"......................
Drock

Post by Drock »

Lol