anyone ever sold an idea to a manf?

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

anyone ever sold an idea to a manf?

Post by ttocs »

I just got done installing my custom door handles. The are a smooth design that is perfectly flush with the door panel and you push on one end to unlatch the door while the other end comes to make a handle to pull. I modified mine and with an led so that the side you push lights up as shown.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4979_n.jpg

I was not sure how they would turn out so I didn't take any pics while I was doing it as I thought I could take pics of the drivers side if it did work out. I posted a pic on the manf facebook page and then forgot about it. Today I got a notice they mentioned me and was surprised to see it had 75 likes on it and 20 different people asking how I did it/can I post pics. One of the responces from the manf was asking me to send them pics to post on their website. I could not be more flattered and as we know I am happy to post pics of what/how I do things but this is the first time I have had a manf of a patented design asking me to show them how. These were not cheap and I imagine they are making a good profit on them so I have to wonder if it isn't worth something from a T-shirt/hat to ??????

I wrote a quick email just asking them what they planned on doing with it and saying its something they could do on their current design easily, or make as an add-on kit for people that have already installed their handles as an add-on kit. Anyone ever do something similar?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Re: anyone ever sold an idea to a manf?

Post by Drock »

Very cool, I want that. Lol
If only I knew someone that could install something like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

To be honest, the idea of actually putting the lights on the handle may be all you've got, and that is surely worth a shirt or hat or whatever, if they decide to make them that way. But for the "how-to" portion of the equation, it depends how involved the wiring got as to whether it's something they'll do factory, and that will determine whether you get the shirt or not. "Ease of install" is a big thing that after market accessory makers take into account, because a lot of people that buy their products are technically inept. If you had to run the wire down into the door and out the boot into the dash, or even through the firewall, that is more complication than a lot of people are going to want to fool with. What is easy for you with your installer knowledge will be rocket science for most people.

It does look bad as hell though. :twisted:
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Its a single wire that would need to be ran and yes I get ya that hot rod people are traditionally not electronics people but as far as I am concerned anyone that can weld and smooth them in can get a single wire there. Its the most in depth metal work I have done but the led aspect really is easy. I sent an email asking if they were just going to post on their site as an FYI, or if this was something they were interested in makng a product out of and selling. I ended it by saying if it something they are interested in selling but not making I have all the parts on hand now to make a bunch of add-on kits that they could sell. Hopefully in the next 48 hrs I will hear good news back, keep yer fingers crossed but even if they don't it was flattering to have them ask me to show them.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

So these folks don't know how to install an LED? That door handle is sweet looking.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I'm pretty sure if someone has the skills to install that handle, they can manage a led and a run of wire. And if they don't have the skills them most likely they are taking it to someone that does.
Hope something works out for you Scott.
Keep us posted how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Heard back from them today and they said it was just something they wanted to share on their website. Doesn't sound like bad news to me I think I will write it all up and include an email to contact me at if the want to buy the pre-made parts.