Newb from Ontario, Canada

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Darkside

Newb from Ontario, Canada

Post by Darkside »

Been lurking here a bit and reading about some of the great installs. Great work to all those who have posted installs. Some really creative work here. Not so young anymore, but just getting back into the auto sound fun and games. Picked up a 84 blazer with all kinds of custom work. Interior is a mess, but came with a couple of old school PG amps M44 & 2125 installed in a motorized lift, Image Dynamics horns in front playing thru a custom dash, onto the windshield basically where the old defrost vents would have been, two 6.5" in kick panels and an Alpine 12" R series sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the back. Sounds real good when stationary, but too many rattles in loose panels when driving over our wonderfully maintained (NOT) roads here in Ontario.
Picked up a box of Dynomat this week to do the doors and interior, then on to remake the entire interior upholstery.
Here are a couple of photos -exterior and the only interior shot I have at the moment. It will all be changed anyway.

You guys & e-bay are making it hard on my PayPal and credit cards, with all the bling and really nice amps, speakers and so on, that I have been ordering lately, getting ready to redo the entire system. Some really nice old school equipment on here for sale as well. Just received my DLS 2.5" mids this morning & the tweeters are on the way. Now need to find (4) DLS 6.5" mid-base speakers at a good price. May install in the blazer or in our Honda.
Glad to see there are a few other Canadians here, active in the car audio hobby.

Now where is my lottery ticket. Need to order more goodies.
Attachments
84 Blazer instrument panel.JPG
84 Blazer instrument panel.JPG (59.54 KiB) Viewed 10008 times
84 Blazer passenger side front.JPG
84 Blazer passenger side front.JPG (75.34 KiB) Viewed 10009 times
Drock

Re: Newb from Ontario, Canada

Post by Drock »

Nice ride, I had an 86. I loved it.
I'm Calgary Alberta.
I think this is 3 people in Calgary and 5 or 6 in Ontario and Toronto. Lol
I wish we had more people near Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

post pics of the pg gear!!!! welcome from Calgary Alberta
guess I will be #2 in Calgary..lol out of the 3
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Thanks guys. I am just North of Toronto about 45 min. Hate to go to the city. Way too much traffic. Bad enough where I live with all the commuters heading for the city every morning. I am lucky that I only have about a 10-15 min drive to work. I am at the age where I should be retired, but life has deemed that I must work until the day I die, so I am starting over again with my youth toys. This is my second 84 Blazer custom. Love these things.

Will be working on doing some interior mods this weekend, so will take some photos of the PG gear and mounting. I am not completely happy with the install, so it all may change this winter anyway, but will show you all what it looks like for now.

Glad to be here. In the day when all this stuff came out in the early '90's I had young kids and could not afford any of it. I spent a lot of time drooling over all the old Phoenix Gold, Orion and such equipment, but could not justify the cash outlay at that time. Now that my kids are all mature adults (yea right), and we are empty nesters, I figure I can play a little with this hobby. Going to try to not leave anything for the kids, I am going to spend it all and then some. When I go, there will probably be a couple of banks go down with me.

I have a daughter and her husband (in RCMP) who live in Medicine Hat area, not too far from you.

I have lots to learn, so am sure there will be questions as things progress at my end..

Regards to all

Brian
Drock

Post by Drock »

Robert jr. Is in your area. Doing a big build in a civic. You guys get a few comps out your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Welcome. Retirement age? Retirement is becoming a thing of the past. Even if you could afford to retire it usually leads to to getting real old real fast.

Very cool blazer and nice gear that it came with. More pictures please.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

You are right. I could not retire as I really enjoy my job, and I would go crazy just sitting around all the time, and of course the money is nice. Pension cheques are just not enough to live on with a hobby like ours. These PG toys are expensive............. I just get older each year, but refuse to grow up.

Did not get any work done on the truck this weekend. Played in (and won) a pool tournament on Saturday. First prize was a trip for two to Niagara Falls in November plus entrance into another tournament called the "Border Battle". My first time there, understand there will be about 85 teams playing in the team event, something like 450-500 players. Should be fun. Will take the wife with me so she can keep me out of trouble, and maybe do a bit of shopping while we are there.
Anyone know of a good shopping venue in NF Canada or USA, for PG goodies? Mostly interested in old school stuff.

Big car show locally this coming weekend (July 26/14), so trying to get things ready for this event. Interior will still be a mess, but will take the truck anyway, as long as the weather is decent. I just joined the local car club who are putting this event on, and it is their big event for the year. They are expecting about 400 plus classic cars to show, along with bikes, tuner cars, a dedicated truck section, sports cars, local vendor section, and I guess just about anything else on wheels. No dedicated audio section, but I am sure the tunes will be blasting all day. Anyone local should come out- Heritage Park in Barrie. Right on the lake so is a really great venue, and a great place to spend the day looking at some great cars along with all the activity along the waterfront. Lots of eye candy.

Hope to get some sound deadener installed this week, before the show and will be out shopping for interior material. Will be a busy week.

I will post more photos shortly of the current install, and as things progress along.
Brian
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Finally got around to taking a couple of photos of the PG equipment installed in my latest project truck. Very hard to see model numbers due to all the metal surrounding the amps. It all seems to work very well and sounds great. Only issue seems to be that all of the terminals will back off a bit, probably due to some shaking when driving, so a little locktite maybe on the terminals threads.
Don't be too critical of the yellow painted amps as it all will come out for a revamp this winter and things will get painted again most likely back to original. Interior will be redone in a black vinyl/leather/suede and some carpet on the floor. Sub will be remolded in the side, amp rack built and possible new speakers as well.

Dam - can't upload the photos. will try again later when I have more time.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the horns sound interesting for sure and a motorized lift is always fun.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Picture files are too large for me to upload so will need to get my daughter to resize them for me, as I am a computer idiot. I will upload them then.

Yes the horns sound really good, they do bring the soundstage up to the center of the windshield about neck high, and spread across the windshield from side to side.
Not sure yet if I will keep this arrangement when I redo the interior, but for now they do sound really good. Actually the whole system sounds much better than I expected when I bought the truck, and added the head unit. With a little tuning I am sure it will get only better.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

TA-DA - My genius daughter :mrgreen: resized the photos for me so here are a few of them for all to see. Remember this is how I got the truck so be nice...........
20140810_133124_800x600.jpg
20140810_133124_800x600.jpg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
20140810_133116_800x600.jpg
20140810_133116_800x600.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
20140810_133102_800x600.jpg
20140810_133102_800x600.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
20140810_133035_800x600.jpg
20140810_133035_800x600.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Those amps are beautiful (I never though I would say that about yellow amps), are they sprayed or powder coated? If your getting them back to OEM then go with powder coat (much better than spray)

From the looks of it (little round sticker on top of the cap) it has the original caps...Replace the filter input caps before its too late (they can short and catch on fire...causing serious damage to the boards).

I dont see an M44....I see the 4ch MS amp which is probably better (or as good) as a M44.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Being a noob, I was not quite sure which models they were. The end plates are obscured and I had a very difficult time finding any labeling, so was, quite frankly guessing at model numbers. My OLD eyes just don't read upside down and in dark areas like they used to.
The units are spray painted, however, when I take them out in the fall they will be recapped, and powder coated at that time, and I will have a clearer look at them to see what exactly they are and what need to be done to bring them up to date. At this point they work great, with not apparent issues, but yes I have read about the caps and do plan on replacing them all just as a matter of safety.
Will probably be looking at another amp as well to add a rear stage, with a 2-way system. I do have a bunch of speakers in my stockpile, so may experiment a bit before the final rendition is built.
Brian
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Welcome! Always good to see another Canadian on the Phorum. I am in Cambridge. I have family in Orillia so i was through your city last weekend (stopped at the 400 market).
Great looking Blazer you have there. If you are into the car show scene, and you should be seeing your ride, there is a show going on September 20th at Bingemans in Kitchener. Called Northern Showdown, it promises to light a fire under this Ontario truck scene. Look it up, there is a facebook page with info. I will be there with my toyota and some buddies. I am always up for talking trucks and PG, my 2 favorite pasttimes :)

As far as your amps, the 4 channel is an MQ430. The only MS series 4 channel. The other is most likely an MS2125.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Nice Ride. Sounds like it will be a great event. We just had a big car show here in Barrie a few weeks ago with well over 300 vehicles. They are always fun events. I will try to make it with a couple of our local buddies with trucks. I lived 18 years in KW so know the area and lots of folks from there. Always willing to talk trucks and PG. Just getting back in the hobby after many years away from it, so have lots to learn and relearn.
Look forward to meeting fellow low rider truck/PG fans.
Brian
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

It's a FAS clone.

MQ 430 and an MS2125.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......