Going Shopping

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Going Shopping

Post by gkitching »

Figured it was time for some cool new gadget /game for myself for once and not the kids. Spoiled brats have everything. :lol: Now it's dad's turn.

But what? Suggestions?
Greg Kitching
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

- iPod Touch/iPhone
- TomTom/Garmin
- Car stereo equipment 8)
- One-legged prostitute
- :bong:
- A wicked bike
- Digital SLR
- More car stereo equipment :lol:
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Wii. Its the greatest toy ever, and, its actually alot better for you than sitting around getting a fat ass.

I pulled a muscle in my shoulder playing wii bowling, wasnt prepared for the lack of resistance when youre throwing a curve ball :lol:

Honestly, youll thank me for it. Theyre the most fun I have had in years.
If you're going through hell keep going

Winston Churchill

"this is the world's most powerfulest high's amp."

Some dumb cunt.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

-iPod Touch/iPhone

I've been fighting the whole I-pod thing especially since my daughter got hers. Been nothing but headaches and scams.

- TomTom/Garmin

If I got this then I would have to take off my sticker 'I may not know where I'm going but I'm making record time!'

- Car stereo equipment 8)

Covered!

- One-legged prostitute

Interesting but I don't think my wife would would like trying to write that off as a buisness expense.

- :bong:

Covered!

- A wicked bike

That means exersize doesn't it. .... ummm I'll pass. I get enough of that around here.

- Digital SLR

You know, I've had a 3.1 mp Sony S70 cybershot since '99' and have yet to see something take a better picture. I've gotten 5mp then 7 mp and now a 9mp camera for the wife over those years and mine still takes better pics. Plus I have all the gadgets for it soo

- More car stereo equipment :lol:

Finishing my install would fall into this catagory but includes more work .. see above :lol:
Greg Kitching
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

ydnap wrote:Wii. Its the greatest toy ever, and, its actually alot better for you than sitting around getting a fat ass.

I pulled a muscle in my shoulder playing wii bowling, wasnt prepared for the lack of resistance when youre throwing a curve ball :lol:

Honestly, youll thank me for it. Theyre the most fun I have had in years.
Covered! Like I said, my kids have everything :roll: One of my daughters friends put a dent in the screen of our tv playing baseball. Watching all the kids play is hilarious!

Actually we have Wii, PS2, PS3 (80gig) and X-Box. Just dont have the 360 version yet. If I wait long enough grandma will get that one too. :P

I've been hooked on Oblivion lately. My wife hate's it. She doesn't get to see tv anymore. :lol:
Greg Kitching
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gkitching wrote:You know, I've had a 3.1 mp Sony S70 cybershot since '99' and have yet to see something take a better picture. I've gotten 5mp then 7 mp and now a 9mp camera for the wife over those years and mine still takes better pics. Plus I have all the gadgets for it soo
The number of megapixels has nothing to do with image quality. That's a huge scam, it's ALL about the lense! Those crappy 500 megapixel cameras with a lense the size of a fruit loop will always take the most horrible pictures known to man. They are just bloating the number, because they know that's what ignorant consumers will buy first.

I too fell in love with my old Sony digital camera, until it was stolen in Prague. It had a nice big Carl Zeiss lense, and took some great pictures! Once it was stolen, I went out and bought a new point and shoot... FUCK I hated that thing. Triple the MP rating, but the pictures had all kinds of noise specks and crap. It was downright awful.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a digital SLR. I got a Canon Rebel XTI, and a Sigma 18-200mm optically stabilized lens. My god, the pictures that thing takes! It's just downright stunning. I always loved SLR photography, but it was hard to take pictures on film, as you would have to do a couple shots just to get "the one". With the digital, you can see the picture on the screen, so you know whether or not you got it right. Also, there are no costs for developing your bad pictures either. This REALLY empowers the photographer.

Now the first thing that confuses people when they get a real digital SLR, is that the image doesn't appear on the screen like it does on a digital camera. You have to use the oldschool viewfinder instead! There are actually a few new hybrid DSLRs out now, from Olympus and Sony, which let you have both options. Personally I am more than satisfied just using the viewfinder in my camera. I find I can take MUCH better pictures with it.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

stipud wrote:The number of megapixels has nothing to do with image quality. That's a huge scam, it's ALL about the lense! Those crappy 500 megapixel cameras with a lense the size of a fruit loop will always take the most horrible pictures known to man. They are just bloating the number, because they know that's what ignorant consumers will buy first.
Preach on brother!
Greg Kitching
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I went to e-bay for the first time in a while. Jeezzz ..It's like e-bay has become a site full of people trying to 'get rich quick' selling garbage.

*EDIT* I take that back. It's either junk or it's people buying collectables and reselling for stupid high prices. (not just JOMA)

Since when do Gibson Les Pauls go for $4000? And everything over 20 yrs old $20,000+? I'm not a collector. I just wanted a nice guitar to PLAY! It's just very frustrating.
Greg Kitching
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

I got it ! I got it !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220267

Im getting mine later ! fuckin kick ass man, plays divx mp3 and all sorts, and runs linux (but you can get XP lite).

Now thats a toy :D

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Wow that IS interesting. Anyone ever see these? Reccomendations? I see it runs on linux. Would that be compatible sharing folders with windows. Thinking for my daughter and school work. Our other comps are windows.

You say it can be loaded with xp lite? I didn't see that.
Greg Kitching
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

The EEEPC is bordering on toy, big time.

If you can see yourself using it, go for it. Otherwise, it's just a laptop that has the performance of a machine you could have bought 5 years ago, but smaller, lighter and less power hungry.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
joyride

Post by joyride »

I see a guy in clas with one...and every day wonder how th hell he can see the text and type on it. The screen is so small, that I feel like I would spend half the time trying to figure out what is displayed.

Im gonna second the DSLR (howeevr, I am really big into photography). I cannot believ how cheap they are now. I paid 750 a year ago for a D50 and now you can get them for around 325. Whatever you do, dont get a Nikon D40(x). Anoter good investment could be photoshop. Its expensive, but a good purchase.

Then again, you can never go wrong with some classic PG pieces.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

gkitching wrote:Wow that IS interesting. Anyone ever see these? Reccomendations? I see it runs on linux. Would that be compatible sharing folders with windows. Thinking for my daughter and school work. Our other comps are windows.

You say it can be loaded with xp lite? I didn't see that.
Theyre awesome. Ive got mine sitting in a cart on newegg 'cos my bank are assholes. still waiting for the cash to go in lol.

You can load xp AND 2000, however with xp it must be slipstreamed with SP2 already on and with 2k SS sp4 (for the external USB boot support.)

I'm going to be using mine for the following.

Media - divx (the screen is 800x480 a dvd plays @ 720x480) and ripped dvds (on the memcard Im getting, 8gb for $28 ) Music and so forth.

Web - its got wireless.

Photoshop - Im mostly zoomed in when I work, so itll be a piece of piss to work on the small screen.

And email etc.

Here is a link of it booting. Fuckin quick cos its all solid state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7FQKTIirg

Wiki -

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701

Bible -

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

And what Im ordering to go with it in the pic..

Theres a link on that forum to this place where they sell 'holsters' for it. The best one by far is one that slots in your cup holder and comes out like a little table :lol: it's only $16 too lmao.
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 5187 times

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
ydnap
More like Bannedy...

Post by ydnap »

Winston Churchill

Some dumb cunt.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

You're going to look like a cop rolling around with a touch screen laptop beside you... Don't be browsing the phorum too much while driving Pandy...
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner