Phorum Swag

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Phorum Swag

Post by stipud »

So we've been tossing the idea around for ages now, to have some sort of Phorum Swag. T-shirts, stickers, shop banners, etc. I think it's time for some action! First things first... we need some designs! I know we've got some graphical talent here, so I propose a design contest, with the winner receiving a box of random and probably useless crap.

I'm not 100% sure if we can use PG logos or not. Since we don't plan to do this for profit, I think it falls under fair use... at least that's how it works on all the car forums I go to. Also, we need somewhere that can make these items for us, once they have been designed. If you know anywhere good and cheap, let us know!

So... feel free to reply to this thread with any ideas or designs you've got :)
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Re: Phorum Swag

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:So we've been tossing the idea around for ages now, to have some sort of Phorum Swag. T-shirts, stickers, shop banners, etc. I think it's time for some action! First things first... we need some designs! I know we've got some graphical talent here, so I propose a design contest, with the winner receiving a box of random and probably useless crap.

I'm not 100% sure if we can use PG logos or not. Since we don't plan to do this for profit, I think it falls under fair use... at least that's how it works on all the car forums I go to. Also, we need somewhere that can make these items for us, once they have been designed. If you know anywhere good and cheap, let us know!

i know im still new here but my brother in law runs a sign shop and they also do silk screening. im out in vancouver though
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Re: Phorum Swag

Post by mhyde71 »

stipud wrote:So we've been tossing the idea around for ages now, to have some sort of Phorum Swag. T-shirts, stickers, shop banners, etc. I think it's time for some action! First things first... we need some designs! I know we've got some graphical talent here, so I propose a design contest, with the winner receiving a box of random and probably useless crap.

I have the shrits/hoodies/hats and stuff covered... I THINK as well... as I explained in the thread moments ago (http://phoenixphorum.com/new-look-i-ve- ... t7668.html)... I say I think becasue given he is in china, some may be opposed, and/or depends on how many of what we would like... If not making profit, I'm not sure we would want to go that way... but once we have some of the particulars worked out i can approach him with a quote anyways... to see/hear minimums, Ball-park shipping expenses, etc...

I think I would like to enter one of those works I already did... but would also like to know if that's where we're going with this... i.e. are we doing PG artwork, or PP.com artwork, etc...

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'd say more on the PP.com side of things........ PG may have a problem if we try to change up their logos.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
denim

Post by denim »

Well the money could go to forum expenses (hosting fees).
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

But that would still be a "profit"....

I wish I had ninja skills with PS..... Shit, it took me all day to google sketch my M amps......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I get all of my company printing done at I-Print.com. They seem to have great prices and a design tool that lets you....well.....design your own stuff!! So far I have done 3 fold pamphlets (2 different designs), and business cards all designed by me. I like them, maybe you guys want to give them a try as well.

As far as the graphic designing goes, I'm useless as all hell. :doh:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
joyride

Post by joyride »

Im just worried about a few constraints. These will help me know what can and cannot be done in final production. Should we focus on a siingle final product (a shirt will be designed much different than a sticker for print)? How many colors can we use? Can it be pigment based die inks? Does it need to be vector, or will raster work? Any size specifications?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Those are all great questions. Tom need not be the only person to answer those questions, by all means anyone with an opinion should voice it.

I personally like the idea of starting out with a single item. We could get general consensus on whether or not a shirt is what most people would want. This way, we'll also be able to judge how ambitious we can be with other swag once we've accounted for everything from the first swag item.

I think the type of graphic necessary may depend on who and how we get said item made. For a shirt, we could look at what people are willing to pay ($15+ship?) and see what that can get us at certain order sizes. I doubt we'll be able to get full coverage with a large range of colors but I don't know the business very well, just a bit from friends in bands, really.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

I'm in Vermont.. Hoodies Hoodies Hoodies! That's my vote...

OR Long Sleeve Fleeces, Knit Hats, and themal underware (hehe).. maybe not the underware..

but seriously maybe some nice button down long sleeve, and short sleeve for warmer climate ppl's, cotton shirts is my vote.. something in which even us out in the professional sales could wear... and then some hoodies for when longin' with the family or fellas on the weekend...

m
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

joyride wrote:Im just worried about a few constraints. These will help me know what can and cannot be done in final production. Should we focus on a siingle final product (a shirt will be designed much different than a sticker for print)? How many colors can we use? Can it be pigment based die inks? Does it need to be vector, or will raster work? Any size specifications?
Yep, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew a good shop to use. If we can pick the shop, we can figure out the formatting and colors allowed. Of course a general design can be mocked up in MSPaint by anyone. We can always make it look nice once we have chosen the logo. So feel free to post rough sketches, scanned hand drawings, or whatever you want!

I was thinking this would make a nice banner as-is (of course I would have to make a high res version):

As for an item to make first... personally, I think T-shirts are always a good bet, because everyone wears them. It's tough to find hoodies that actually look cool and don't cost a bundle. I hate poorly fitting cheap hoodies, so I would probably never wear it unless it was quality. It's a lot easier to get away with fruit of the loom T-shirts if you ask me.
Last edited by stipud on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

... I'll ask my wife to come up with some ideas. It would be really cool to have a store both sides of the pond...

Bret
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

stipud
Yeah Tom, I tried loading the PP.com LOGO into PS and AI, and doing some tweeking to it, but no good.. I am unable to spank it with anything that would be job ready for any printer.. maybe it would have to be re-done/re-constructed...

and what exactly are we vying for?? i.e. are we looking to make a whole new PP.com logo, or clean up the one we have, or just offering ideas as to what type of clothing to put it on???
joyride

Post by joyride »

Posterize it in PS, then you can remove specific parts of the image much easier.

Also, what is the font used for the text? Or did you trace over the logo? I know the new logo is Eurostyle, but i always liked the old one better
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

It's similar to sand font. I actually built the RUM letters myself, cutting parts from the PG lettering.

This should help you guys with material:
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Logos/

I got the letters here:
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Logos ... ldlogo.jpg
harobkr90

Post by harobkr90 »

i have access to both photoshop and illustrator.
i'm in a graphics class at my school.
anyone have any good ideas let me know what to try out.
i'll put something together this week.
but the phorum banner is also a great choice.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I think we should probably stick to doing a phoenixphorum.com T-shirt.

1. It's simple.
2. It's likely the majority of us wear T-shirts at some point vs. other clothing
3. It represents the phorum and our community here, not just PG as a company.
4. T-shirts don't cost much

As far as what the logo actually is? Well, that might not be super important. If someone can take elements from the current logo and include "phoenixphorum.com" in it somewhere, that will be good. Perhaps we have an open submission process and people can vote on what they like?
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
harobkr90

Post by harobkr90 »

Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

that's pretty cool...i was wondering what "Pd" was though.... :lol:
Took a second...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Man I gotta spend one of my free evenings working on this instead of playing PS3... :lol:
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

That was my idea!!!!!
I even PM'd Tom a couple weeks ago about that cuz my PS skilz are shitty.....

I knew it would look kool........ 8)
harobkr90

Post by harobkr90 »

thanks!
haha, i didn't think of it as saying Pd. i guess cause i made it.
i used a vector version and got rid of the g side and reflected the p around.
but i'd love to see some phorum gear.
slide any ideas/opinions/alterations my way.
harobkr90

Post by harobkr90 »

sorry for jacking your idea fuzzy, it was a good one!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

No worries man..............

It's out there now......Lets play with it alittle.......
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Whats up fellas???????

Are we gonna get this swag going or has this idea stalled........

I'm in for probly 10 XXL's myself.......

I vote for either a black or dark charcoal colored shirt. Not those thin bullshit material shirts though..AND 100% cotton.... "GILDAN" is the maker of shirts my boss buys to print our logo on and they last quite awhile.

Common guys.......this will fall to the way-side if we don't keep going.......