What are you rockin???

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Drock

Music

Post by Drock »

Can I move this post or admin will do it?
audiophyle_247

Re: Music

Post by audiophyle_247 »

You people are crazy!! Late 80's ~ early 90's music was HORRIBLE, there is very little I'll listen to from that era.

70's & early 80's has some good music, but late 90's & on has had tremendous advancements in music.

Old Techno fan + basshead? Try Dubstep, there are more than a grip of various genres within that category and most (if not all) will have those ears ringing from the bass in no time. Any music pre dating CDs has very little bass, so old school techno is nothing like new school techno.

Step out of your boxes a little bit & play around on Pandora or Slacker radio, shits free & has a million times the selection you can get on the radio. Its great for introducing you to new artists, genres, etc...
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

If you want newer dance music that is bass heavy and not dubstep:

Techno/Tech House/Minimal

Julio Bashmore

Dirtybird records has been killing putting out quality for a while.

Anything the Soul Clap guys do is good

Tim Green

House
The Revenge has probably been my favorite producer to blow up the past few years. A lot of mid tempo and 120s house and really dope edits/remixes of hits.

(more coming I have to come back to this because I have an appt at 2 and I could go on for days)

My boy Cole has a ton of remixes and edits out there that are awesome.

This one is more downtempo.

So my friend Dave invented a new genre called Moombahton a few years ago and its exploded the last 2 years. I'm not a huge fan, I dig some of it, but the kids love it. If you like Reggaeton, its uses similar tempo and percussion but combined with more of a house/progressive/techno production style. Here's a few of my buddies' takes on it.

(I'm really feelin this one)

OK I really gotta go now you got me runnin late hahaha. If you aren't feeling any of this give me some examples. I'll lace you when I get home later.
Last edited by ajaye on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

Rap and basshead...Anything E-40.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

love some e-40(fuck friends) , gangsta nip,spice one,mc eight,too short (beeeitch) and bushwickbill or anything from the geto boys some crazy beats
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

kg1961 wrote:love some e-40(fuck friends) , gangsta nip,spice one,mc eight,too short (beeeitch) and bushwickbill or anything from the geto boys some crazy beats
U have good taste in music lol. I love the old school westcoast era.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

audiophyle_247 wrote:You people are crazy!! Late 80's ~ early 90's music was HORRIBLE, there is very little I'll listen to from that era.

70's & early 80's has some good music, but late 90's & on has had tremendous advancements in music.

Old Techno fan + basshead? Try Dubstep, there are more than a grip of various genres within that category and most (if not all) will have those ears ringing from the bass in no time. Any music pre dating CDs has very little bass, so old school techno is nothing like new school techno.

Step out of your boxes a little bit & play around on Pandora or Slacker radio, shits free & has a million times the selection you can get on the radio. Its great for introducing you to new artists, genres, etc...

Could not disagree more with rap/hip hop really taking off just then. Think of the beastie boys, ghetto boys to two live crew, Run dmc, What about "walk this way" with aerosmith and run dmc. Now go on to rock, U2, INXS, peter gabiel and then go into the grunge era of pearl jam, nirvana, stone temple to sound garden and I think you are absolutely crazy...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Im not prejudice, I like all kinds of music :D Lately it has been Rock and R&B.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Gotta give it up for Heavy Fuckin' Metal :thumbs: - Been wearin' out the new Fear Factory and Testament CD's. AND goin' to Testament, Anthrax and Death Angel Saturday night ...gonna be a ragin' fuckin' show. :metal: :metal: :metal:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I agree most music nowadays is just electrically generated tones and not many artists have any musical talent. Of course there are always exceptions. I have and will continue to listen to old school hip hop and rap with Tupac being at the top of my list. I also enjoy rock of all generations and styles, from 70's ELO and Ac/DC to grunge, punk (NOFX) and heavy metal. I really seem to enjoy the work of Dallas Green (Alexisonfire, City and color, solo work). I would say my taste is pretty eclectic but leave the Nicki Minaj and Justin Beiber off of my playlist, lol.
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

for modern music/electronic lately two groups/people have caught my eye
Wolfgang gartner rocks and you would recognize some of his stuff in commercials now.

VCMG is made up of vince clark and Martin Gore of depeche mode(another freaking great 80-90 group I forgot). Makin some good stuff and intersting enough not together in the same room. They communicated via email during the making of it.

ajaye

Post by ajaye »

audiophyle_247 wrote:Any music pre dating CDs has very little bass
You do realize that analog tape was the primary method of tracking in just about every major recording studio on earth well into the 90's, right? So even if the CD is rolled out in 1983, the recording and engineering practices didn't really change all that much to take advantage until a while later? And that the 12" single at 45 RPM is not a new development?

So this came out in 1983, this only has bass because of the 7 people the group figured were gonna go out and buy it on CD when it came out back then?

I had about 2 dozen songs(videos) all accompanied by their year of release but my browser crashed before I could post. Suffice it to say I can prove you wrong over, and over, and over again. LOL where do you think all those west coast synth bass lines came from? Sampled from CDs?
Drock

Music

Post by Drock »

This is awesome. I have lots to look for. Keep it coming.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

ajaye wrote:
You do realize that analog tape was the primary method of tracking in just about every major recording studio on earth well into the 90's, right? So even if the CD is rolled out in 1983, the recording and engineering practices didn't really change all that much to take advantage until a while later? And that the 12" single at 45 RPM is not a new development?
That's right, I forgot I need to be explicitly clear on any claims made in this Phorum.

What I meant is SUB BASS, as in below 40hz or so. I was also talking more exclusively toward techno & old school electronic, but it applies to just about every music genre nonetheless. There was very little low bass in music recorded to cassette tape.

I do not doubt original recordings contained full sound spectrum, but how many people buy original studio recordings? Nobody, because most people buy what is sold in the stores and low bass eats up recording space. Considering tapes only provided so much space, that low bass was sacrificed for higher song counts. CDs were also not the go to audio source when they debuted in the 80's, I don't recall exactly but I'd venture to guess it was what, the early 90's when they really impacted the music industry, at which point the original recordings could actually be used without running out of playback space.

& yeah Scott, I think a lot of the music around that time frame sucked. Not all but a good portion in my eyes. Depeche Mode, INXS, U2, maybe to you those support your argument, because I think they support my argument. How many times did you jump on the dance floor to "New Sensation" by INXS? A decent amount of good hip hop came about in this era, but the shit played on mainstream radio....... not quite
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

audiophyle_247 wrote:
ajaye wrote:
That's right, I forgot I need to be explicitly clear on any claims made in this Phorum.

What I meant is SUB BASS, as in below 40hz or so. I was also talking more exclusively toward techno & old school electronic, but it applies to just about every music genre nonetheless. There was very little low bass in music recorded to cassette tape.

I do not doubt original recordings contained full sound spectrum, but how many people buy original studio recordings? Nobody, because most people buy what is sold in the stores and low bass eats up recording space. Considering tapes only provided so much space, that low bass was sacrificed for higher song counts. CDs were also not the go to audio source when they debuted in the 80's, I don't recall exactly but I'd venture to guess it was what, the early 90's when they really impacted the music industry, at which point the original recordings could actually be used without running out of playback space.

& yeah Scott, I think a lot of the music around that time frame sucked. Not all but a good portion in my eyes. Depeche Mode, INXS, U2, maybe to you those support your argument, because I think they support my argument. How many times did you jump on the dance floor to "New Sensation" by INXS? A decent amount of good hip hop came about in this era, but the shit played on mainstream radio....... not quite

Not sure how inxs and US could support your argument. U2 has been known for some time to be one of/the more popular/best selling groups from that era so to say they suck to me just means ya got a chip on your shoulder about it for some reason. Inxs was popular enough to have its own tv series to pick a new singer not all that long ago, so to say that they sucked then and are not popular now? Well they sold out stadiums then and still do today.... Not sure what type of joke you are tying to infer with the "new sensation" title as that was a very popular song/album but "devil inside" was one I liked better.

Later on I thought about another good one - rage aginst the machine, anthrax had some cool shit then too.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:
audiophyle_247 wrote:

Not sure how inxs and US could support your argument. U2 has been known for some time to be one of/the more popular/best selling groups from that era so to say they suck to me just means ya got a chip on your shoulder about it for some reason. Inxs was popular enough to have its own tv series to pick a new singer not all that long ago, so to say that they sucked then and are not popular now? Well they sold out stadiums then and still do today.... Not sure what type of joke you are tying to infer with the "new sensation" title as that was a very popular song/album but "devil inside" was one I liked better.

Later on I thought about another good one - rage aginst the machine, anthrax had some cool shit then too.[/quote]
A decent amount of good hip hop came about in this era, but the shit played on mainstream radio....... not quite
Hell, you could say this about any era. Look at today's Top 40 artists and tell me that their generic, passionless, cliche' music regurgitated over and over on mainstream radio is any better. Katy Perry, Justin Beiber, Nicki Minaj, Emphatic, Shinedown, pretty much anything country, etc... Mainstream radio lacks passion and talent for the most part.

As for INXS having their own TV show or any other American Idol or Project X show, I am going to refer to a scene from a recent movie I saw called God Bless America. The first minute sums it up perfectly.

XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Hilarious vid dwnrodeo, which I think also covers the slow death of MusicTV and birth of MoronTV.
You know, when MTV used to actually play only music videos. Beavis & Butthead, the only good thing of early 90's MTV, and it had music videos but made fun of them.

Late 80's early 90's there was very little mainstream music outlets, you had MTV and local radio (which sucked in MT where I lived for any kind of selection). Pretty much limiting you to the crap gaining popularity on MTV and the teeny bopper radio stations, or what you could find at the local music stores.
There was a lot of good music, but it wasn't easily shared/discovered and certainly wasnt mainstream. I had to actively search & try new tapes to find any good music, I could not just kick on the radio & hear something I liked like I could before (& after), so I stand by my opinion.

& Scott if you want to get all technical, INXS started in the 70's. So while they "technically" wouldn't fall into the category of music from the late 80's early 90's, their music produced at that time clearly sucked competed to the rest of their career.
How about the new kids, or Hanson, or Madonna, or many of the hair metal bands & glam rock phase?
At the time I didn't mind the mullet rock ballads, but who still listens to that shit today?
I have music I still listen to today from around that era, but not very much of it. To me that makes a song good, by being timeless.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

And for stuff not so in your face

I think that's enough for now
Boomshackalacka
soundbit

Post by soundbit »

I have to chime in on this one.

I love all music (well accept maybe polka and bluegrass...well maybe Weird Al polka is alright). I listen to trance more than anything though. I find it very calming and relaxing music. It wasn't until I listend to "Leaving Planet Earth" by Talisman and Hudson (on the Paul Oakenfold New York CD) that I realize just how beautiful trance music could be. Other great trance groups I have found are Above and Beyond, Oceanlab, Ronkie Speed, Kaskade, 7 Skies, Static Blue. Chicane.

Others that I like are good rock. Nine Inch Nails (the Downward Spiral is still and epic album), Dream Threatre, Liquid Tension Experiment, Tool, Perfect Circle, Korn. I have to through some Pink Floyd in there, even some Dave Matthews Band.

Old school rap is there too. NWA, Ice T, DJ Quick, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys. Then some new school, of course Eminem, like a little Flo Rida, Nelly (gotta represent the STL :))

Love putting on music that I can close my eyes and be taken to another world.

I will say this. If you have not listened to Liquid Tension Experiment give them a shot. No vocals all instrumental rock. Albums are recorded very well and Mike Portnoi is one of the greatest drummers in the world. Love when the goes to town on the double kicks.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

soundbit wrote:I have to chime in on this one.

I love all music (well accept maybe polka and bluegrass...well maybe Weird Al polka is alright). I listen to trance more than anything though. I find it very calming and relaxing music. It wasn't until I listend to "Leaving Planet Earth" by Talisman and Hudson (on the Paul Oakenfold New York CD) that I realize just how beautiful trance music could be. Other great trance groups I have found are Above and Beyond, Oceanlab, Ronkie Speed, Kaskade, 7 Skies, Static Blue. Chicane.

Others that I like are good rock. Nine Inch Nails (the Downward Spiral is still and epic album), Dream Threatre, Liquid Tension Experiment, Tool, Perfect Circle, Korn. I have to through some Pink Floyd in there, even some Dave Matthews Band.

Old school rap is there too. NWA, Ice T, DJ Quick, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys. Then some new school, of course Eminem, like a little Flo Rida, Nelly (gotta represent the STL :))

Love putting on music that I can close my eyes and be taken to another world.

I will say this. If you have not listened to Liquid Tension Experiment give them a shot. No vocals all instrumental rock. Albums are recorded very well and Mike Portnoi is one of the greatest drummers in the world. Love when the goes to town on the double kicks.

LTE is a great group, check out "Animals as Leaders", guys rock, all instrumental and some of the best low tuned guitar playing out there today.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

A couple artists Ive been hooked on lately....

& on a little different path....

ajaye

Post by ajaye »

audiophyle_247 wrote:
ajaye wrote:

You're confused on some things I think. For starters, who gives a fuck about cassettes? If you were an audiophile back then, then well into the late 80's you were still buying 12" singles and/or LPs. It was the norm to have a single mixed and mastered specifically for the 12" release vs the cassette singles/album and LP if space on the full length was coming into question. Also, if you look at the RIAA curve, you can see it would take very little signal to replay that low end on a record, because at 20hz you can be almost -20db for a 0db response at playback (not accounting for stylus/speaker response/etc) Just because the music medium you bought didn't contain "low bass" (or it did and the machine you used just couldn't play it back), doesn't mean all music lacked it, which is what you're trying to say. I'm not trying to be a dick but you are selling people short of decades of great music with claims of inferior fidelity which are just untrue.

Go listen to Street Sounds Electro 1/2/3 (yes even on cassette) then get back to me.

And INXS is awesome.

audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

ajaye wrote: For starters, who gives a fuck about cassettes? If you were an audiophile back then, then well into the late 80's you were still buying 12" singles and/or LPs. It was the norm to have a single mixed and mastered specifically for the 12" release vs the cassette singles/album and LP if space on the full length was coming into question.
Who gives a fuck about tapes? Considering this IS a car audio Phorum, TAPES were the primary (if not only) music choice anyone had besides fm radio, I think they are a more than valid topic here, and you cannot deny that I am right. Was it possible to get low bass on tape? Sure, but no companies pushed it when it cost them song time to produce frequencies most sound systems couldn't handle anyway. Sure you could find a few here or there, or you could buy Hifi singles.
The point is, CDs opened the door for everyone to push full Hifi sound and every cd player reproduced the music the same, and there was no sacrifices in song time to do it. No longer did they need to offer a single to sell a Hifi recording, and I rest my case.

:End Argument

Can't anyone make a light hearted comment on this fucking Phorum without having the shit picked apart completely? I hated most mainstream music in the late 80's, early 90's, and loved the huge improvement in sound & bass when moving to a mobile CD player.
You disagree? So fucking what, go listen to your INXS 12" LP and cry about it. God forbid someone doesn't share your opinion.

Dwnrodeo, I gotta pick up some of that LET, that's pretty cool.
Drock

Music

Post by Drock »

Wow, yes it is a car audio thread which I mistakenly posted in the wrong place. In my first post I asked if it could be moved to the proper location. And the purpose of this was to discover some new music and share what others consider there favorites. Nothing more. I don't see how it helps to be criticizing others taste in music. Each to there own. I appreciate that people are taking the time to post in this thread. But let's keep it positive. I was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say it.
Thanks.

By the way thanks for all the great leads. I'm going on vacation for three weeks, so I'm downloading like mad from iTunes to make the trip fun listening to all the new songs that were suggested here.
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

audiophyle_247 wrote:
ajaye wrote: For starters, who gives a fuck about cassettes? If you were an audiophile back then, then well into the late 80's you were still buying 12" singles and/or LPs. It was the norm to have a single mixed and mastered specifically for the 12" release vs the cassette singles/album and LP if space on the full length was coming into question.
Who gives a fuck about tapes? Considering this IS a car audio Phorum, TAPES were the primary (if not only) music choice anyone had besides fm radio, I think they are a more than valid topic here, and you cannot deny that I am right. Was it possible to get low bass on tape? Sure, but no companies pushed it when it cost them song time to produce frequencies most sound systems couldn't handle anyway. Sure you could find a few here or there, or you could buy Hifi singles.
The point is, CDs opened the door for everyone to push full Hifi sound and every cd player reproduced the music the same, and there was no sacrifices in song time to do it. No longer did they need to offer a single to sell a Hifi recording, and I rest my case.

:End Argument

Can't anyone make a light hearted comment on this fucking Phorum without having the shit picked apart completely? I hated most mainstream music in the late 80's, early 90's, and loved the huge improvement in sound & bass when moving to a mobile CD player.
You disagree? So fucking what, go listen to your INXS 12" LP and cry about it. God forbid someone doesn't share your opinion.

Dwnrodeo, I gotta pick up some of that LET, that's pretty cool.
really dude?
audiophyle_247 wrote: Any music pre dating CDs has very little bass
"The music I heard on cassettes before CDs didn't have a lot of bass." OK I'll agree because that's what it seems like you are trying to say now. The word "Any" suggests an indiscriminate selection of all, negating any difference in genre, playback format, listening environment, or any other stipulation, which is what I disagree with, and have been trying to explain why with facts and examples for the benefit of anyone else that may read the thread and you if you care to accept that maybe you were a little off base for the sake of not missing out on some music that you/they may enjoy. If that was not clear than I apologize. I have happily kept up with and appreciate the technological advancements in recording and playback technology. I have a dedicated stereo listening setup with 24/96 D/A audio conversion capability along with my analog rig at home and my car will hopefully be capable of the same at some point. I have also played 100s of records that "pre date CDs" on many $100K+ sound systems, most recently on one that has 17,500 watts dedicated only to 65hz and below and I can assure you I tried to use every one of them.

I'm no cassette expert. I do know a little bit about recording though, and I still cannot figure out your theory on how low frequency limits playback time on a cassette. The only reason I can remember that might make someone rethink very low frequency signal on a cassette tape is because they are concerned with dynamics. Tapes require biasing to overcome "tape hiss" so the waveform is off axis vs. a 0 bias waveform which will be centered on a horizontal line, so a certain amount of compromise with low end makes sense to salvage some of the headroom lost to biasing when tapes have a pretty limited amount of headroom to begin with. If you take a blank 60 minute tape and record a 1000 hz tone on one side, then record a 40 hz tone at the same 0.9 amplitude on the other, the tape doesn't magically become 26 minutes. It sounds like you are confusing the issues of records and tapes. Vinyl records can lose playback time as peak-to-peak amplitude increases due to the way the grooves need to be cut and spaced.