So, I started on the Jetta

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Sorry to hear they're not working out as well for you. I just switched back from my 12" DCON to a 10" RSDC. It really is a fantastic sub, but I do run it sealed.

I have found subs that sound best in sealed setups are generally geared to play a lot deeper and smoother, while subs that work best in ported setups play higher and snappier. I have also found these smooth deep-tuned subs are generally slow and boomy when ported, and useless on higher notes. I have heard Xmax, Ti, Xenon and Octane-R subs in both ported and sealed setups, and the only one I thought sounded good when ported was the Xmax. I believe this is because the Xmax is geared for tighter, faster, higher frequency bass, while it relies on the port to fill out the bottom end more.

Your CV's are definitely geared for higher frequency bass compared to the RSDCs, and were designed for ported setups. I am not surprised that they play tighter and cleaner, since the RSDCs are butter-smooth in sealed setups, they are likely too slow when ported.
bogart

Post by bogart »

Damn Jason....car is looking good!!!! I too was unimpressed with the rsdc subs and run them both sealed and ported....not bad, just an average driver. I would personally run type r's or diamond d6's over the rsdc's and they are bout the same cost per set if you watch.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

bogart wrote: I would personally run type r's or diamond d6's over the rsdc's and they are bout the same cost per set if you watch.

(tom you're lack of shifty smily fails me AGAIN)

chris, in the nicest way possible....i respectfully disagree with your opinion.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I've never heard the D6 but Type-R's? Whoahhhhhhh... noooo!!
bogart

Post by bogart »

Really, I don't get the hype with the rsdc...or any pg sub but maybe the cyclone. I've run type r's ported and sealed and hands down out performed the rsdc's in my opinion.bit more power but they were what I would call the standrard for what a 150 dollar sub ought to be....the rsdc's arnt bad drivers...just a slightly better motor and cooling then all their subs from every line. It is about the most un inovative thing they have done. They are fairly punch and will carry fairly low but they arnt running efficiently that low and as far as spl goes, please, they are not loud drivers...believe me...they just arnt. If you want loud shop elsewhere for subs cause pg doesn't make em. They are decent for what they are but I know for a fact that just one of my solo x's on 1200 watts ported will put up higher numbers then any 3 rsdcs...on equivalent power. They are just another street loud cheaply made speaker...so what is so grea( bout em? I don't get it....not arguing, not offended anyone disagree's I really just don't like em...personally I think the hertz 10 I sold you last year brian are a far superior driver to the rsdc...that is what I think of as entry level sq gear...
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

sorry to derail the install thread...maybe you just WANT to hate the PG subs so it doesnt sound as good to you?

i am VERY aware they arent a SPL driver, i wouldn't want them if they were.

i have NOT heard a sub with their range. (diamond, W6 or type R included IDmax) Type R's are VERY tuned (at least to my ear) and have noticeable peaks and do not play as low as the rsdc's in any application i have heard them in.

we can fight about that later in another thread :)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Well, I have had some more seat time in the car and the subs are growing on me a bit. I think #1 reason they struck me as lack luster is I don't have enough power for them.

The RSDc's seem to perform much better on the low end, and get a bit mushy with higher bass. I have them crossed over at 90Hz 24db/oc so "higher bass" is still pretty low end... Anyhow, this make them preform very well for rap and such, but they don't fill in as well with rock type program material.

Near the tuning frequency they actually sound louder than the strokers, probably due to the fact that they are a much higher excursion driver, I am anxious to get some real power on the subs and see what they can do. My guess is that the same long excursion suspension, which I expect is much more compliant than the strokers, is what tends to make them sound a little loose and washed out at higher frequencies.

Long and short of it, the strokers sound damn near like a sealed sub in a ported box, lots of punch and control, the RSDc's seem to sound pretty good and tight down low, but they loose it when playing higher.

I never used to be a huge fan of ported boxes, but I also think it isn't fair to discount ported enclosures as a "spl" or "rap" thing. A lot of it comes down to enclosure design and tuning-- When you stop and think about it, how many HA drivers are ported? From low end to high end, virtually all manufacturers port their enclosures, granted some really high end stuff is typically transmission line enclosures, but they are still a variation of a ported enclosure.

The big issue is going to be getting real power in the car. The MX3000.1 was a good choice for the strokers as it came close to it's rated power at 2 ohms. In reality, I would like to run a single amp to each sub, but I am running out of install space. A 6.5ft^3 box in a jetta is pretty large... I will have to get creative if I am going to stuff 3 amps in there... I may think about mounting them on the parcel shelf, or I could go with the trunk lid.

Any thoughts?

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
RaTtlZ

Re: So, I started on the Jetta

Post by RaTtlZ »

What up? Just wondering how you like the Eclipse 7200MkII? I love my Pioneer but I think I wanna update and have more features like mp3 folder capabilities, usb, and bluetooth. I like the looks of the mkii, Can it do 4 way active? or just 3? Great detail on your build log! I'm tuned in :)
2006 Chrysler 300C
Pioneer P9 combo
Factory Boston Acoustic 6 speaker system,
Sub: TBD
JL Audio A6450, Autotek MX-3000.1
80A, 300A fuses
6 Ga.,1/0 Ga. wiring
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

RaTtlZ wrote:What up? Just wondering how you like the Eclipse 7200MkII? I love my Pioneer but I think I wanna update and have more features like mp3 folder capabilities, usb, and bluetooth. I like the looks of the mkii, Can it do 4 way active? or just 3? Great detail on your build log! I'm tuned in :)
The 7200MkII is right on par with any of their OS head units for SQ. They kind of got off track for a few years, but they got back on with the 7200MKII. I like the HU a lot, but like most of the Eclipse heads with a VF display, the display is not great. Also, if you are looking for something to do mostly "mechless" or USB/MP3 Player, then this is not the HU for you. The USB functionality is about the worst I have seen. It was evidently beyond being just an afterthought when they built the unit. It refuses to display long file names and folder names and is just difficult to navigate due to that fact. Now, MP3 on CD works absolutely perfect, Bluetooth audio and hands free use is about the best I have seen, the ordinary CDP and tuner are excellent as well. The HU can do 3 way active or 4sp+sub. It is a really good unit, but it wont be for everyone. Eclipse also recently left the aftermarket, they are no longer manufacturing aftermarket consumer electronics, so your only options will be to find a nice used unit.

I am in the process of building a carputer to take it's place, mostly for flac audio and the convenience of having all my music on the drive and at my fingertips all the time. The fact that it will do HD movies, GPS nav, and internet anywhere are just perks :) See here for my ongoing build: Clicky. I already have people lined up for my eclipse when I get the PC done, so it can be tough to get a hold of one :D .

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

Install is sick, can't wait to see it done..

Sub arguement... Just say no to PG subs... Lmao.

Easy formula. 250 to 600 watts equals W6v2
700 to 1200 watts equals 2 W6v2s or 1 W7
1400+ equals 2 W7s. Lol

If u need more than 2W7s, ur install sucks or u are deaf as hell... 2W7s will easily do over 150 and sound real clean.

I just dunno why the anti JL sub peeps on here unless you are all deaf from too many years of loud tunes. :lol:
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale