Building setup Cavalier 97 **NOW WITH RSD65CS**

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
str3atwarrior

Building setup Cavalier 97 **NOW WITH RSD65CS**

Post by str3atwarrior »

Hi.

I just found out about this forum. Here is my little setup as of 2010-05-10 :

I have a Lanzar DVD Player deck which perform just fine :

In the trunk, i have 2 amp :
- A Blaupunkt PCA 465 4 Channel amp for my speakers

-A Kenwood KAC-5295 2 Channel amp for my XS124

I also have a Capacitor that was given to me, 500mf :

Here is my Phoenix Gold XS124 12inch Subwoofer :

My rear speakers are Pyle PLDV693, which run just great for me when hooked up to my Blaupunkt amp :

For the front speakers, i ordered some 6 1/2 Boss speakers, but i have yet to install them.

I started to make a fiberglass subwoofer box for my XS124, i will post pictures of this project in my next post. On theses pictures, the Blaupunkt amp was not hooked up to my speakers, theses are old pictures when i just installed it. I will post new pictures tomorrow with the actual wiring.

2010/05/12 : Edited to match size of pictures ;)
Last edited by str3atwarrior on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

you're off to a good start man. as a damn yank...the tim hortons cup cracks me up :)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Bfowler wrote:you're off to a good start man. as a damn yank...the tim hortons cup cracks me up :)
Im a fellow hoser and that cracked me up aswell :lol: welcome aboard :mrgreen:
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Here are some pics of my fiberglass project :

The first layer

The mold removed from the car

The second layer applied, waiting for drying

The cutting line drawed, and all the spots that needs more fiberglass

Side view

Last layer before cutting

After cutting with a grinder

Side view

Test to see if it fits, and it does fits like a glove :)

The MDF ring before installing T-Nuts

T-Nuts installed

A fit test with and old blown MTX Thunder 6000

The volume chart for my subwoofer, with the one i wanna get

The MDF Ring hot glued on the mold

The final test to see orientation of the subwoofer before next step in fiberglassing

Fabric applied, soaked in resin

Hole cut, ready for the last layers of fiberglass

Overall layers of fiberglass finished, with my old MTX Thunder 6000 to check the overall result

Side view

I still have to clean the edges, and i will probably add another layer on the inside of the box to be sure everything is nice and sealed. After that, i will add some carpet on it to match my car's one. Will keep updating!
He appreciates your support but he aint beggin for it
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Bfowler wrote:you're off to a good start man. as a damn yank...the tim hortons cup cracks me up :)
:p took thoses pictures while waiting for the kids at school :p and Tim Horton's coffee is a life saver every morning :D
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

does the blaupunkt perform very well with only one 18 awg power wire to it and no rca inputs? :D
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

ttocs wrote:does the blaupunkt perform very well with only one 18 awg power wire to it and no rca inputs? :D
Nah it was not hooked up at the time i took thoses pictures. But now that it is, i must say that i'm amazed at how good music sound! All the systems i've been playing with only had an amp for subwoofer, speakers were all running througt the deck. But it's amazing just how good my sound system became just by adding this piece of hardware!
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Nice fiberglass work there. :)
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

dwnrodeo wrote:Nice fiberglass work there. :)

Also, this part is not for the sound system, but it's there parts because of it. It's an Aftermarket Generation AGA-1201 alarm with built in remote start. Here are the features :

* Ultra-long FSK communication range (two way range over 2400 ft.)
* Three in one (car alarm, remote start, and keyless entry)
* Includes two remotes
* Remote start
* 2 Wireless remote keypads
* Ultra-long FSK communication range (range over 2,400 ft.)
* Code hopping technology for anti-scanning and anti-grabbing
* Compatible with factory security system
* Multiple user-programmable features
* Audio alert
* Long range remote start with gear position checking
* Multiple signal detection(Tach, High-Voltage and Oil sensor)
* For remote start
* Reservation mode and Turbo mode selectable
* Valet mode
* Anti-carjacking system
* Door/Hood/Trunk sensors
* Silent arm/disarm/alert
* Automatic windows roll-up
* Automatic dome light supervision
* Remote trunk release
* Programmable auxiliary output
* Interface of microwave sensor or optional sensor
* Smart LED indicator
* 120db siren
* Ultra-low standby power consumption of remote control

Pic of the package :

I hooked it up on my 2 doorpins, and on my trunk light ground, so whenever the system is active and one of the doors or my trunk get open, it triggers the alarm. There was a place to hook the hood, but when you do so you can't start the engine while the hood is on, is will kill the motor for safety, so pretty useless. Since i had manual door lock, i installed 2 doors actuator to allow me to lock/unlock the doors with the remote. For the remote start part, i needed a GM Passlock Bypass. I buyed it after finishing my install, so it's still in the box waiting to be installed. I added an additional siren to the factory one, so there's no way i can miss the system when triggered at home. I'll try to get somes pics when i dissamble my car. I installed the main unit right behind my cluster gauge, since almost all the wires needed to hook it up passes by there.

The range is pretty incredible. Didn't try the 2400ft but tried a few times when comming out of a store, always connected so far!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Little update, i went out and took new pictures of the Blaupunkt amp, with the wires this time :p

Old habits here, i've tagged all my wires so it would look clean. The only ones i ain't done are power, ground and remote, but all my power have red tip, ground black one, so that leaves only remote, but i used a small 18ga wire going to my kenwood amp, so hard to mess it up :p
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Oh yeah, almost forgot, once i put the fiberglass subwoofer box in, i'll probably install the amps on the back of the backseats, and i will try to hide all the wires so it makes a clean install.

What is the best way of mounting amp there? I was thinking about selftapping screw, or maybe install a plywood covered with carpet with the amp screwed on
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

drywall screws are the best for it. :lol:

the longer the better.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

as for the alarm the hood pin is important for two reasons.

1rst if you evern have anyone else work on it. They had some rare occasions where after power was disconnected from the alarm after the battery as replaced for example, when connecting power it would cause a glitch in the remote start and it would cause the engine to crank. With the hood pin hooked up it will prevent it from starting if the hood is up.

2nd don't forget that if a theif can get by you alarm, he can get your car and its system. With no hook protection all they need to do is pop your hood, cut he siren wire and then then can just go ahead and open your door. At that point your alarm will be making the relays click every few seconds while it flashs your lights but those noises will just guide the theif to your alarm unde the dash. If he is smart and knows his wiring colors he can they even use your wiring to identify the important wires and hot-wire you car.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

ttocs wrote:as for the alarm the hood pin is important for two reasons.

1rst if you evern have anyone else work on it. They had some rare occasions where after power was disconnected from the alarm after the battery as replaced for example, when connecting power it would cause a glitch in the remote start and it would cause the engine to crank. With the hood pin hooked up it will prevent it from starting if the hood is up.

2nd don't forget that if a theif can get by you alarm, he can get your car and its system. With no hook protection all they need to do is pop your hood, cut he siren wire and then then can just go ahead and open your door. At that point your alarm will be making the relays click every few seconds while it flashs your lights but those noises will just guide the theif to your alarm unde the dash. If he is smart and knows his wiring colors he can they even use your wiring to identify the important wires and hot-wire you car.
The hood is hooked up to the door switch, forgot to mention that. As for the remote start, it is not working as of now, but i never thinked about this before.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Just a little update, this came in today :

I'm not awaiting lots of theses, since they were cheap. It's mostly just to say i have front speakers, since my current ones (Pioneer 30w) are really in a bad shape. They were in the car so i can't really complain, but the tweeters on them are ripped, so i ended up putting the sound on the rear speakers only.

I wanted to get Pyle ones since my back speakers work great, but the Pyle ones would not fit in my doors, mounting depth too big :(
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Oh Yeah!

My 4x6 to 6 1/2 speaker rings came in today!

So with my usual patience, even if it was past 19h30 and sun was starting to get down, i went and installed thoses boss speakers :)

Well, i have to say one thing... having 4 speakers over an amp simply ROCKS! I've been used to have 4 shitty speakers running on my deck only, so when i added the 6x9 and the amp it already sounded awesome to me. I didn't even planned to add front speakers, but since the boss ones were cheap i told myself why not... But i was not awaiting myself to such a great result!

If it goes on like this, i'm gonna be deaf soon :p

Now i want another XS124, more than ever!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Oh yeah, theses are pictures of my old pioneer ones, ripped in the tweeter :

Can't see very well on the pictures, but they are ripped bad! And only 30w rms, was not too bad with the original radio that came with the cavalier, but since i switched to the amp, they sucked bad to the point i desactivated them!

And this is my trunk, cleaned, can't wait to have enough spare time to finish this damn fiberglass box and install it!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

DAMN I'M PISSED AT MISELF RIGHT NOW!

I was trying to do this damn fiberglass box in a hurry, and seems like i totally forgot about the basics... SPACE!

Check theses pictures :

So now i have to cut the top of the mold, sand it, try to remove the MDF ring or make new one, buy some more resin, and redo everything...

Guess that's what happens when you try to do everything in a hurry... I will probably laugh at it when done, but for now, it's killing me... Cuz i told myself to go check before fiberglassing but just didn't feel like it... Got me served heh :x
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

fuck...thats annoying. you dont really need to redo it all, you can just cut a nutch out and cover that part back up
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Nah 'cause i'd have to cut the MDF too... But now that i found that awesome deal on resin, i don't really care :)

What was pissing me off was buying another gallon at 100$, if i can get a 5 gallon for 139$ i'll be able to do the other side too, and will have plenty of resin left to make my custom pillar pod and lots more! :D

I will just cut the last part i've done, make a new MDF ring andplace it further, then i will make a shape that allow me to close the trunk and laugh at this mistake :p
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Just a little update!

I ordered some new gears today :
1 - 1 1/0ga In - 4 4ga Out distribution block for my 12v line
1 - 2 1/0ga In - 4 4ga Out distribution block for my ground line
1 - 1/0 ANL fuse holder with a 150A fuse

Plus all the terminal ends to connect everything. I'm waiting for my boss to get me some 1/0ga cable, and some 4ga cable :)
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Boss called back, told me that the waiting time would be a month before he needs some 1/0 and 4 cable, so i decided to buy some on ebay!

Bought 25FT of 1/0 for a decent price, for once the guy was in the same country as me :)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0258947920

And bought 8FT of 4 so i'll be able to hook everything up
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0153580871

For a total of just under 100$ for the two, not too bad :)
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Entry time at hospital got delayed, so i decided to retape the interior of my trunk, just for everything to be ready when i'll be out! Will do both side this time, so it'll motivate me in finding another XS124!

jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Sorry im late to this one, looked good from the start. That sucks about the trunk. You could just cut the back off of the speaker box then cut around the edges then push the top back towards the side a little to angle the sub upwards giving you the clearance that you need, then simply glass on the back again.

Oh by the way, I like the stretched material. I hope you had permission to use it :lol:
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Got this one at the dollar store for 2$, so it's all good :p

I've decided to change the orientation of the subwoofer, so might as well redo everything! It's gonna be a fun project :)