Building setup Cavalier 97 **NOW WITH RSD65CS**

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

It's just crazy how some simple carpet can literally change the look of a box! I was looking at mine like 10 mins ago. Without carpet, it was looking like, well, nothing. Now that i've put carpet on it, it seems amazing! Too bad i'm missing some cement glue to finish it, but i'm gonna go get some tomorrow morning to finish it!

Seems like this project took me forever, i've had lots of bad things happens, made me mad as hell, but just by the look of the box as it is now, i know it was well worth it! And with the XS in it, it's even better! I'll take pics tomorrow when everything will be done, installed in the car, with the XS hooked up.

For thoses who took the same way as me, i'm sure you all've got this crazy sentiment of satisfaction and you're as proud as i am right now when you finished a big part of your install!
He appreciates your support but he aint beggin for it
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nicely done, mes ami! Looking forward to some pics :D
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Okay, carpet is done!

Temporary install, just to see how it looks, and it looks good enough to me! I found that one of the corner is not 100% sealed, so i'll have to put another 2 layers of mat on the inside to correct this.

I've then passed my 12ga cable, and couldn't resist hooking it up for a little run. All i can say is WOW! How can you guys even think about installing some 4-500w sub in your cars?!?!?! Just thoses 2 are damn enough for me!!!

So basicly i'm going to remove it from my car tonight to do some more layers and make it 100% air tight. If it cures before sun goes out, i'll fix it permanent in my car tonight. I'll also work on the other box tomorrow, time is counting out since i'm starting working monday 45hrs a week, gotta finish everything this weekend!

In the 3rd picture, some cement glue got stuck on the carpet. Is there a good way to remove it? It doesn't really bothers me but if there is one why not use it!

Oh, and i'm now planning to dynamat the whole trunk, just to see the difference!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

You could try some solvents like acitone or alcahol but I would test it on the material first to make sure that it doesn't hurt the material.

Looks like the sub makes it a litle heavy up front? Take the speaker out and throw a screw in the bottom and then mount the speaker and it will not move. Be sure to make sure you miss the gasstank and it wll not be a problem.

it will probably sound much better after you seal the hole, its amazing how a small hole will kill thesound.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

The curve on the bottom is wanted, it will allow me to remove the spare tire if needed. Only the second part is like that, the mold is still fitting like a glove. I'll be sure to seal the hole tomorrow, too nice outside to work, i'm going to ice cream with the kids and gf :D
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Damn my lazyness, nothing has been done this weekend :x

I was thinking about soldering a metal bracket on the car's existing body to hold the box in place, but the guy i know that do soldering is out for 2 weeks. I then searched and found a nice product, JB Weld, that once cured, is supposed to be as strong as soldering. Did any of you used it already?

Here is a link to the product :
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

I've read lots of mixed review on the net, and it honestly seems like a good product to try! With one kit, i'd have enough to ¨solder¨ one bracket per side, so i'd be able to fix the two boxes without drilling holes in the car's body. I've already prepared the metal bracket out of scrap metal i've found laying around. If i understands right, all i have to do is sand to bare metal, make a 50/50 preparation of JB weld, apply a good quantity on both ends, wait 24 hrs, then finally screw the box on the bracket.

The product itself is pretty cheap, 12$ CAD at a local Canadian Tire place. If it works as described, i can think of 3-4 others applications to this one, and the way i see it, i should have plenty left from one kit if i only have 2 bracket to hold!

So if anyone had experience with this product, please let me know how it worked out for you!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

by solder, do you mean weld?

I wouldn't even mess with a bracket. Take the woofer out and throw 3-4 screws with washers in the bottom. IF you want to get real crazy get a strip of fairl thick gague steel and drill the holes through that and use it as a washer. You an even put some extra hole in it and then glass that metal bracket to the bottom. Then you can mount your woofer. With no brackets showing it will also be a little hard for someone else to figure out how to rip it out.

JB weld is ok, but with that much size and weight I would not want to find out that it will not hold
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Yep, i mean weld, sorry :p

Ordered a set of RDS65CS for my front doors yesterday! They shipped today, might get them before week-end!

I'll also have to ¨mod¨ my Blaupunkt amp, since today, with the hot weather, it shutted down itself due to overheating. Note that this amp don't have any cooling fan, so i'll probably just add one fan to dissipate the heat.

Didn't decided myself in how to fix the box yet, will probably take a decision before week-end!
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

hey nice work man looks pretty good so far and I,m really happy you ordered them rsdc components you won,t regret the upgrade and not to dis on your Blaupunkt amp but it may be ready for a upgrade as well especially if your powering them xs,s with it you need something with a little more grunt to really make them sing I used to have 4 of them off of one mps 2500 and it was sick :hmm: wish they had digital cameras back then
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Yep, i was thinking about selling the blaupunkt amp for a pg amp, have to check for a 4 channel one, 60-70w rms per canal would be good!

But not sure the girlfriend will be happy if i tell her i'm changing gear again :p
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Check what came in today!

Will be installing them probably this weekend! They look so great i can't wait to ear them play!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You're going to love them! :mrgreen:
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Honestly i have to control myself, otherwise i'd be installing them right now even if it rains hard out here :P
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Yesterday i helped the new neighbor moving his stuff in. Ended up with a couple of beer, some :bong: that i hadn't smoked in like real long time, went to sleep at 4 in the morning and got waked up by the kids at 7.

I decided to give a go and install thoses RDS65CS in the car. Took me almost 2hrs to install the first set. I first installed the crossover in the door assembly, simple location. I didn't had no hole saw so i took a drill and made lots of small holes to get a somehow round shape. I then took my rotary cut tool to make the hole the right size for the tweeter. On the first door i kinda dropped the tool, so the hole is just a little to big on the bottom, but i don't really care. I then installed the woofer on the door, and put back the door assembly only to find out that the woofer was rubbing on the door's original grill. With my current state of mind, decided to cut it ghetto way so it would work. Used a wire cutter to remove the exedant of the grill. Here are pics of the first door :

The second door was way easier, it may have took me an hour to fit everything. This time i took my rotary cut tool to cut all the grill. Still look like shit, but far better than the other door...

I'll probably try to find some 4x7 grill or 6x9 ones to cover the holes, so it should look cleaner.

I then started to play with my amp to set everything up to my tastes. I tried both 0db and +2db on the crossover, but +2db felt like a little too much. After some time playing and tweaking the system, i'm damn happy with the result! I liked the Boss speakers, but man thoses are just incredible! Didn't had much bass, but my doors are not sealed so i guess it's normal, and i see the woofer making a nice motion so maybe i'll try to get some dynamat to try it out! But what amazed me the most on theses are the tweeters! How can something so small plays so loud?!?! I don't even hear my rear speakers no more, and before they were the only ones i'd hear! It's like day and night change! Sure worth the money!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

:oops:

not trying to be a hater, or offer non-constructive criticism...but you really hacked that up man

try and get some 1/4 abs, and make a larger baffle, so it covers op the whole speaker hole. (like the big gap to the right in the first pic)

and then cover op the seams with silicon, or sound deadening

when you have gaps like that, the back waves comes through, and really messes up your midbass.

i will see if i have any grills i can send you
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

just checked, i have 2 6x9 rsd grills that are yours for shipping if you want

edit: looks like they probably wont fit under the window roller handle?
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

I was actually looking to get some sound deadening materials, saw some 32x54 sheet on mcmaster.com part number 9709T39 that seemed pretty good! 6 sheet would cost me 100$, and i think it would be enough to cover the trunk, the doors and probably the floor too! What do you think?

About the gap, i don't quite get it. The gap is not from the inside of the door where the magnet and the window roll down, it's just between the door's end and the door's mold. Original speakers were 4x6 that were directly in the door. Maybe i'm missing something here, didn't knew about back waves, do you have more info on it?

As for the grill, thanks for the offer, but i just ordered some over ebay for 14$CAD shipped, not a bad deal i guess :)
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

this gap.

you could remake that plate so it covers it, or even just covering it with butal deadener would make a pretty decent difference
Attachments
57.jpg
57.jpg (205.3 KiB) Viewed 10399 times
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Man you were able to see that on pictures, and i didn't even saw it beside working on the car for 3hrs today... I feel stupid :idiot:

Thanks for making me remark it!

Did you already applied sound deadening material? It will be my first time, i liked the idea of a self-sticking material like the one stated above. I was thinking about removing the factory plastic sheet, then apply one layer of sound deadening all over the door, then cut the hole for the speaker and reinstall my 4x6 to 6.5 adapter and my speaker. This way, there would be no gap anywhere. Is this the way of doing it?

Also, i saw some people putting deadening material on the floor, and some only on the doors and trunk. What do you suggest?

Sorry i'm a total noob when it comes to sound deadening...
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

sound deadening is pretty expensive.

if you are trying to deaden the car, you could do the whole door pannel and use closed cell foam on the floor.

if you are just trying to improve midbass, using something like 80mil edead, dynamite extreme or smiler is super easy.

just cut to shape, and use a roller (or even the back end of a screw driver) to mash it over the holes and gaps in the door.

it sticks to the metal (and damn near everything else) easily. (clean whatever you want it to stick to with rubbing alcohol or windex)

it will prevent sound from the back of the mid from coming forward and interfering with the wave in the front.

obviously you could spend a metric shit ton of money on deadening, but imo. 6 sqaure feet to cover the gaps in your door is the best bang for buck use of it, and a good place to start
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Thanks, i'll check next week if the funds permit it!

Cuz right now with the caps, the distro blocks, i'm a little broke :P
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

i don't understand why you would hack your door up???
then leave gaps where you mounted the speaker's as this only makes them sound less than optimum. kinda ghetto bro. sorry just my .02
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

It was either cut the grill or have the woofer rub against it, pretty easy choice :p

But i have to admit the fatigue may have played his part here
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Just a little update here...

Finally installed the grill on my fiberglass box. Still not fixed it yet, i'll have someone solder brackets for the 2 boxes when the other one will be over, but don't have much time to do it...

I also replaced the generic distribution block with PG one eulogious got me, looks 10 times better!

I've received the grill to cover the holes in the door, but didn't installed them, i'll probably do it at the same time i'll install the second ZX475 to replace the blaupunkt amp!

Basicly, what's left to be done :
- Deaden the doors and the trunk
- Finish and install the second fiberglass box
- Install the new ZX475Ti amp
- Change Caps in the old ZX475Ti
- Install the grills on the front door

And this project will be over for now! I'm waiting for more funds to deaden the install. I'm waiting for some 4ga cable and capacitors to install the ZX475Ti. For the rest, it's only a question of time...
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Installed the new ZX475Ti and took some time to configure it. It does sound awesome, but for some reason it didn't make me feel happy or nothing... Seems like nothing's getting to me theses days, kinda sucks to feel like that if you ask me...

2 weeks ago i was so hyped in the idea of installing it, but since, lots of trouble with the girlfriend and other person, sub blowing yesterday, hell i don't even have fun at job anymore... Guess i'm due to find myself another project that will make things better...