audiophile sub in use

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

audiophile sub in use

Post by nico boom »

After the first tests, and listening for a week, I changed to a heavier plate-amp, described elsewhere on the forum.
Only disadvantage of that amp is ,that it has no bass-boost.
So I digged up my old bass-cube!
since I play my music with a ms2125, on a big power-supply, there is a very stable 14.4 volts source available in my livingroom, so hooking it up was very simple.
AND IT WORKS...
After trying out the different settings possable, the sub now extends low frequencies full power down to 22hz.
For a closed sub, that's low-end with super controlled movement of the driver. [Now I can use the advantage of the driver's huge x-max. to do that].
Old cd's now reveal bass-notes I've not heard before.
All in all; fun to build, and to listen to!
Now it's ready to be finished, than my wife will be happy with" that sub-whatever" too...
nico
Attachments
naturalis en voorkant basbox 025.jpg
naturalis en voorkant basbox 025.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I'm definitely going to come by and hear that when I am in Holland! Will you be there June 24-27 or so?

I didn't know you were using the MS2125 to power your home stereo!! That is awesome! Why don't you run one for the sub instead of a stupid plate amp? :twisted:

Are you going to finish the box so that it looks like your beautiful towers?
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

yep! Since I heard [by accident] how good the ms2125 sounded on my home-audio, I've never looked for an other amp since.
However; to be 100% sure of a clean power-supply to feed it, I don't want to have a second 2125 [for the sub], to drain the power for the first one.
It had come to my mind however; every time I get a pair of socks out of my drawer, a pile of ms-amps is staring at me, like they say; WHEN THE ....ARE WE GOING TO WORK AGAIN!!!!!
But the plate amp is just a good solution for now.
and yes; the sub is going to match the towers.
YOU'RE VERY WELCOME AT THE SUGGESTED DATES.!!
nico
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

How are you planning on finishing your box. I just finished an enclosure for my Cyclone, but it's in my living room in a rough form like yours! I have no experience with veneers or laminates so I was just wondering what you're planning on.
joyride

Post by joyride »

If you really want to veneer it, try and find a local woodshop. There is a place around here that would do it for about $75 including materials. I was surprised by the low cost, as it can really make a huge aesthetic difference.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I just sand it down, put one layer of primer on it, fill all the holes of the screws, sand, and primer again.
sand again in two stages,then apply three layers of normal paint, which I polish and I'm done.
for me this is a finish that is so smooth, that it looks like a factory-finish, only besides some time, costs almost nothing.
venering takes a lot of practice, and I'm not building loudspeakers all the time anymore.
try to enjoy finishing the box; take your time, and you'll enjoy the endresult for a long time!
nico
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Sub finished.
Friends came to listen.
One wanted to take it home, and never give back... :evil:
Made me a VERY good offer...
Time for audiophile sub no.2 ?
Does anyone have experience with PG woofers in a home-setup?
After all... the fun of building the sub has ended. :(
Any suggestions????
nico
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nico, if you can find a Xenon subwoofer, they are perfect for home audio installs.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

THANKS TOM;
then I can start all over, finding the right driver, going to Titus, to calculate a new cabinet and drinking all his coffee, eat all his biscuits, have sleepless nights about how-to-get-it-all-together in the right way, and last but not least;
work with my fraising-machine again! :D :D
ohhh, the neighbours will love this again...
I'll think about it first though.... :wink:
Will contact my friend Gert, with the car-audioshop, if he can get me a xenon sub.
I'll let you know what it's gonna be. :?: ...