Cavalier 96 - Starting back from scratch

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
str3atwarrior

Cavalier 96 - Starting back from scratch

Post by str3atwarrior »

As some of you guys know, my old install went down in smoke. The only things that could be saved were my HU and my RSD6.5 comp. I've got 2 RSD12D that i'm going to install in this car. I was looking for a roadster66, and found one, but it seems like i won't be able to use my 2 subs at full power since they are dual 4 ohm, so i can either hook them up at 4ohm or 1ohm but they won't get enough power.

I'm looking for a 75wx4 rms amp to drive the front and rear speakers, and a 600-700wx1 rms at 4ohm to drive the subs. I'm still not decided, i might go for the roadster66, since it would be easier to hook everything to one amp, and i definitly like the look of this amp! So i may also just trade my RSD12D for RSD12, and that would settle everything.

Basicly, all i want is your opinions. I'm also looking for a nice set of speakers to put in the back, 6x9 and not too pricy. I'm missing my system a lot, so i'm trying to put as much $$$$ as i can in saving for the next one, but with 2 kids it's never easy...
He appreciates your support but he aint beggin for it
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I would stick with the roadster since you really seem to be into it. Then just run the DVC subs at 4ohms for now and trade them up for the SVC if/when you want some more low end since it'll basically be a drop-in replacement. You don't have much to loose and it's not like you'll be waiting for something else nice to come along.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

That's what i keep repeating myself, and honestly i might just keep the RSD12D if i like the sound, but i still wonder sometimes how it would sound at full power... But my choice is pretty stopped at the roadster... Just the name gives me the chill... Guess i only have to get the funds now!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

you need to find the funds and the amp, that might be the rear challenge. It seems as though I might have bought the last one two months ago as you are the third person in the last month that has decided to get one. I turned down $1k for it already as I am set on installing it in my stang....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

I found one local, BNIB, nice deal, just have to get the funds ready! I'll probably hit the 1k mark too with all the wiring and the completion of the rear stage. I want to do things right this time, fiberglass kickpanels for the front stage, and i'm thinking about installing the rear speakers in another location, but this would require more fiberglass... I'll see how it goes... :D
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it is an awsome amp, so far I take it out at least once a week just to look at it.... can't wait to hear it.
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

I get you on that!

At first i only wanted the amp, without the case or nothing, but since i found that deal, man i can't wait to get my hands on it! I've planned to make a fiberglass enclosure with a plexy window and some kind of extraction and lights, just to put the amp to value. I'll have to check with my boss, he's been in fiberglass for 30 years, so if i need any help i have the perfect person to go see! But i definitly can't wait to get this project started! I even think about doing some no good things just to get the funds quicker, but i try to convince myself not to, this life is over for a long time anyway, i'm gonna get the funds the legit way and just enjoy more the final product!
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Another small step done, i bought the necessary cable to hook everything up! Will install everything as soon as it arrive!

I'm also looking for some good 6x9 speakers in the 100$ range, any suggestions?
12voltjunky

Post by 12voltjunky »

running 2 subs at half their rated power will yield similar output to running a single sub at full power. (atleast in theory). I would run the roadster 66 and a single sub and think you will be pleased with its results.
1- Zx 400 Ti
1- Ti 600.2
1- Ti 500.4 (resurrected by valeks1)
2- Ti 500.4
2- Ti 1000.2
2-Ti RMD, Lpl, PG 1/0 Ga
Ti 6.5 comps, Ti 5x7 coaxials
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Yeah i understand this, but at 2ohm sub will be powered way over it's rms rated value. The amp will provide 650w RMS at 2ohm and the sub is capable of 350w RMS, so i'm kinda affraid of burning it quickly with that much power...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would rather run 2x the rated power then 1/2 of it...... Never had a problem overpowering subs as long as you keep the signal clean.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ttocs wrote:I would rather run 2x the rated power then 1/2 of it...... Never had a problem overpowering subs as long as you keep the signal clean.
totally....those subs will be fine.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Tom runs his RSDC for the last year or two off 250w rms it sounds great!!! but if your a bass head you might not be happy
Hell Im running a tantrum 10svc off 500 rms right now and it sounds great!
gain set right pg oem box and it for the wife so she is happy
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Just an little up.

Managed to find a QX2180 to hook up in my trunk with the old XS124SVC that was still working. Didn't feel like hooking up the RSD12 on this one. This amp never saw power before, it occurs that my step brother had it in his locker for the past 9 years, buyed it new and never installed it. It's not as powerful as my ZX475Ti amp, but it run the sub good for now.

And sorry for my absence, lots of things happened in the last few weeks, not much time to be here but still wanted to pass and say hi! When everything will go better in my situation you can be sure i'll be as active here as i was before!
money-b

Post by money-b »

dam....where the helll you been?
ALPINE CDA-9815,ALPINE CDA-7897
TI 500.4,TI 800.1
2 X JL AUDIO W6V2
str3atwarrior

Post by str3atwarrior »

Between the job changes, problems with the girl, moving from place to place, and dealing with lots of bad lucks theses last times, everything is starting to go better again...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

sorry to hear life has been kicking ya man. I just got back out of the hospital for the 5th time this year now so go eat some pizza and drink a beer for me.
money-b

Post by money-b »

str3atwarrior wrote:Between the job changes, problems with the girl, moving from place to place, and dealing with lots of bad lucks theses last times, everything is starting to go better again...
glad to here it......it's always cool when things are going well...or even start to go well again....so glad to see you here again.......haven't really seen you since the trunk fire....hope things continue to get back to normal!
ALPINE CDA-9815,ALPINE CDA-7897
TI 500.4,TI 800.1
2 X JL AUDIO W6V2