1997 Dodge Ram Extra Cab

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
NewOldStock

1997 Dodge Ram Extra Cab

Post by NewOldStock »

I didnt take pics of the boring stuff...

so, here is a quick rundown of the sub enclosure and single-amp rack.

built the frame and started glassing:

after all the glass, filled with 12oz of polyfil, built the amp rack put the top on it:

test-fit before carpet, paint and port:

with carpet - before port (the sub hole looks all wonky because I quick-cut the carpet instead of using a razor to make it clean, but the sub-hole is actually router-round)

pick of the top with the amp mounted - I still needed to clean up the quick scissor cuts of the carpet, they look clean and straight now:

another view

with the sub in, I cant find my port flare (the port trim piece that makes the port look clean and tidy, but I will get a new one if I cant find it)

What I didnt show was the mounting feet/tabs on the box, bolted through the floor with security screws or the security screws holding down the sub and the amp...

more to come as it happens...
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
(2) RSdC 102 10" Subwoofers - Sold
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

I was planning on running 8's, but I didnt have time to modify my door panels so I will just re-run the 6.5's that I have.

So, I need a baffle for my door, a buck or two at Ikea solves the material question:

a few minutes with a dremel solves the shape question:

mid now mounted to the baffle:

and since the OEM tweeter sits in a little square baffle of its own, I made a copy and dropped in my tweeter... the only problem is, I dont have the flush mount cup anymore, so I had to hot-glue it in the baffle... it looks like ass, but since no one will ever see it, It doesnt matter:
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

forgot to add the pic of the door with the baffles installed... before I put on sound deadener:

The crossover is mounted in the door-card pocket on the inside.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

I think I am going to pick up this head unit for the install - Clarion CZ500:

4v outputs, rear-USB (the front USB just look like an accident waiting to happen, bump a thumb drive and you gotta get a new stereo - dumb), Bluetooth (with A2DP so I can stream music from my blackberry or whatever)
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

if you want a rsd flush mount cup for your tweet, its yours for shipping. i have a metric ass load of them. might work
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

if you live anywhere that gets warm in the summer you will not want hot glue holding your tweeter in the door.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

ttocs wrote:if you live anywhere that gets warm in the summer you will not want hot glue holding your tweeter in the door.
I know, I have been thinking about that ... I think when I go back and deaden the door i am going to have to find another option. if I cant find any cups with any of my goofball friends i will take Brian up on the offer.

At least in this install, the tweeter is close to the midwoofer. The last install had my mids low in the doors and my tweets up in the sails, a good 27" apart, I know that caused some timing issues.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the other poblem with a door location besides heat is the impact that the recieve every time a door is closed. I have mounted many tweeters in my install career but only glued in one set that two days later I ended up re-doing as they already popped out of the door and it was winter....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

In all the installs I have done with tweeters in the doors, I have had a glue a few of them and never had a problem, but I have never used just 1 type of glue.

either way, when I open the doors back up I plan on fixing the tweeter mounts and putting in deadener, I just need sound in the truck and 6 blown stock speakers and a head unit that the volume quite literally only goes up until you shut off the head unit and it resets to volume at zero.

The good other good news is that tomorrow is my 6yr anniversary and my wife, against her "50.00 limit" went and bought me the Clarion CZ500... so, now all I need to do is find my PG RCA cables (all power cables are PG and my RCA's are PG) and I will have everything I need to get the system done.
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nice work on that enclosure! :clap:
NewOldStock

Post by NewOldStock »

Thanks.

I used a layer of chop and a layer of the cloth (woven) then another layer of chop/woven/etc...

now I just hope it sounds as good as it looks!
MX2 Crossover
Sapphire 1.5x - Sold
Roadster66 #11 - Sold
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Use some 4040 that tweeter willl never move
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.