Exile Xtec 6.5" Door Pics

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
AVICJR
Team Coach

Exile Xtec 6.5" Door Pics

Post by AVICJR »

I deadened the inside of the doors (2 layers) with Elemental Designs eDeadv1SE^2 cutting small pieces to fit in through the 2 small openings in the door which was time consuming and a pain in the a*s. I closed the big opening in the door with galvanized tin, and then deadened the top of it.

Xtec installed in the door replacing the 5"X7" hole.

Edeadv4 Teklite above the deadening, I also placed a layer directly behind the mid.

I had the Xtecs initially mounted as coax, I bought the Mustang Mach460 tweeter pods and cut and grinded my door panel to get them to fit. Small tear is from putting the door panel back on, I will fix it.

Door panel back on.

Unfortunately all the deadening didn't allow the door panel to go back on flush. It's not bad ~ 1 inch just in that spot. I will work on it more later.

I am amazed at the sound difference which is immediately noticeable. Very impressed so far. I will do the passenger side door soon.

My next project is to remove Ti Elite sub, deaden my trunk and build a new amp rack.

I would love to pay someone to do this work for me, but I live too far from any quality installers and refuse to pay someone to do mediocre work that I could do myself. I appreciate any input, but please note I am an "amateur".

Mando
Last edited by AVICJR on Thu May 24, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Looks good friend, actually it looks a hell of a lot like the doors of my Saturn! I used Raamat and Ensolite, it looks a lot like the stuff you just used. :lol:
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

nice work sir 8)

how do you like the exile comps???
vin78
Vin Diesel

Post by vin78 »

so no fiberglass huh?
Good work though. 8)

Door not fitting right??? I think the v4 is the culprit. Check around where the sheet metal bulges out the most (especially at the top) then cut and remove some of the V4, that may give it some extra room

If you are willing to fork out the cash, V4 over 1SE on the floor makes a hell of a difference...at least it did in my car.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Thanks guys,

mr tibbs
The eDead is thinner and cheaper than Dynamat Xtreme, I'm really low on fundage right now, that's the main reason I went with that brand. Easy to work with, you just have to double it up.

twisted
I've enjoyed the Xtecs. They don't sound half bad without a sub either. I've had these in my car since last Sept. "IF" I replace them, I'd like to do a 3 way setup.

Vin
I do appreciate the advice on the FG Vin, but I'm just not comfortable YET with doing that kind of work. I'll give it a shot later. The v4 is alot cheaper then the v1SE also. That's definitely in my "to do" list. It's really not that much I need to alter to get it to fit.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

You should have said something man! I have a half of roll of Raamat sitting here along with some ensolite. I'm going to use it on my car, in the trunk, but that won't be for a while. I wish I could have helped out! :cry:
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

mr tibbs wrote:You should have said something man! I have a half of roll of Raamat sitting here along with some ensolite. I'm going to use it on my car, in the trunk, but that won't be for a while. I wish I could have helped out! :cry:
I appreciate the offer. I opted to use the liquid deadener for the trunk. This stuff is pretty cheap. On the elemental designs website (search- forum) and you get better pricing. $1.28 sq.ft. for the v1SE^2 and $1.60 sq.ft. for the v4.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Very nice. My Xtecs sound great in my dead doors too....in fact I just lowered the x-over point probably to around 48-53Hz...whatever a few indents below 57 is...and they blend even better with the subs which I also lowered the lowpass freq. They are awesome speakers and I cant wait to try the sub. :)
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

Hmm interesting, I have mine crossed higher ~78Hz per Morgan's recommendation. When/if I get everything finished, I'm definitely playing with the xover points. I'm replacing the Ti with an RSd. Thanks for the kind words.

Note: The Xtecs are powered by a Xenon 200.2.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

hmmm...Morgan told me 60 would be just right...24db/oct. Im using the Exile 800.4....so a little less power than your 200.2....oh well. They love playing low...I can crank it up and they dont complain...so yeah...experiment with the crossover point... :)
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

I heeded your advice today audiophiliac, I set the HP xover point on the Xenon to 63Hz. DAMN!!! These little b*stards are awesome!! I also disconnected the TX406 xover. I ran 1 set of RCA's directly to the X200.2 and aux output of that amp to the input of my sub amp. The deadening did wonders. They sound good before, but now I'm thoroughly impressed. What do you recommend setting the LP at?

I kind of hate the thought of pulling the Ti Elite sub now. I bet this still would have hammered off of a X1200.1! Makes me hate slc even more now.:twisted: :twisted:

Thanks
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Well I am crossing my ED 6.5" subs over right around 55-60Hz...it blends really nice....but every vehicle/enclosure/sub/speaker combo will be different. If you are happy with the midbass without the sub on, and the mids arent stressing at high volumes, start the sub xover all the way down at 20 and work your way up until it blends well. Of course, I assume you are using an LPL? I dont know how anyone can live without sub level control....hehe....
LeggoMyEggo

Post by LeggoMyEggo »

AVICJR, in the pictures your MDF trim rings appear to have no coating over them. It will be a matter of time before moisture puckers them up like some kind of sponge. I would suggest removing them and coating with that crinkle truck bed liner material.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

I had some temporary rings in there before for about 8 months and they showed no signs of moisture. BUT, I will try and seal them as a precaution. I probably have some kind of wood sealer laying around the garage.

Thank you for the advice.

I've completed both sides and am VERY pleased with the outcome. Everything sounds awesome. I give thanks to the numerous people on here that have given me advice. :clap: :clap: