New "Old-School" install in my 1999 Civic Si...(Updated!!!)

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Lowcountrypsulion

New "Old-School" install in my 1999 Civic Si...(Updated!!!)

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Hey everybody. I made some significant progress last weekend on my false floor-style install in my otherwise totally stock Electron Blue Pearl 1999 Civic Si. I am not nearly as skilled as some of the excellent installers on this site, but I have enough tools to do basic wood-working.

This system is an intentionally low-power system and was designed specifically to minimize or avoid permanent modification to the car, and to avoid an electrical system upgrade. The main portion is primarily attached to the car using the stock spare tire bolt and post. All amps and processors are original, first generation, powder-coated and silk-screened components that I've collected over the last two years.

The signal chain begins with the Alpine CDA 9884; out to the PLD1 in the glove box; back to the EQ215; then (currently) out to the AX406A. From there the low-pass signal goes to the M25 (to the Punch 12) and the high-pass signal goes to the front channels of the M44 (up to the 1999 MB Quart 5 1/4" Refs).

Current plans are to add proper distribution blocks next to the EQ215; re-wire the doors and go "fully-active" with the AX406A eliminating the passive Quart crossovers (powering the mids with the M44 rear channels and tweeters with front channels); replacing the crummy temporary cables with matching Streetwires ZN5 cables; fabricating wood-framed and tinted plexi covers for the amps and processors; and fashioning a new carpet cover with a cutout for the sub.

Future plans include replacing the Punch 12 with a new Ti12; replacing the Quart Refs with new PG Ti6s; adding an additional M25 to power a center channel using the AX204A; and adding an M50 to power the sub.

This is far from complete, but I am currently a non-traditional student pursuing my bachelor's degree and my time (and money) is at a premium. I will post updated pictures as I make more progress. Ltr...

Here's my ride:
IMG_3370.JPG
And the previous "installation" (not worthy of the M44):
IMG_3547.JPG
And some under-construction pictures:
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3543.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
Last edited by Lowcountrypsulion on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Re: New "Old-School" install in my 1999 Civic Si...

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

nice, i like that clean look, put some plexi on everything and then panel it off with some windows and you have a winner!!!
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yeah, all you need is a trim panel, and that will be one sweet install!

Make sure you check this thread out for getting the perfect fit:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5798
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Nice looking work, All that purty white gear, nice even lines and a very clean looking car :wink: love it!!!!
you`ll never be quite done but it looks real good.
Maybe you could find an xmax 12 to replace the RF, now that would be totally period correct.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I
Stryker wrote: Maybe you could find an xmax 12 to replace the RF, now that would be totally period correct.
I concur.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
Lowcountrypsulion

Re: New "Old-School" install in my 1999 Civic Si...(Updated!

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Well, I finally installed my recently acquired old MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" components. The installation certainly won't win any beauty pageants, but it is solid.

I originally started this project with the intention of using fiberglass molded to the door panel (like the excellent tutorial on the other page), but my time is severely limited, so I opted for the simple, yet somewhat fugly flat baffle approach.

First, I fitted the 3/4" thick spacer and mounted it with sheet-metal screws to the door metal behind the stock panel. Second, I designed the 3/4" thick baffle and mounted it to the spacer with screws hidden under the woofers mounting flange. So, when the woofer is installed, all of the other screws are hidden.

All four speakers in the set receive individual power from one channel of the M44. The front channels power the tweeters and the rear channels power the woofers. And I utilized the awesome passive crossovers that come with the set. They're in the glovebox with the PLD1.

I am extremely happy with them! Even with the gains on the M44 dialed to their minimum setting, they are tremendously loud and very clear. The only issue I'm having is with the tweeter setting on the passives. But I'll post another thread about that.
Attachments
Like I said, they're not that pretty, but they work.
Like I said, they're not that pretty, but they work.
I then designed and cut a 3/4" thick MDF baffle to mount to the spacer.
I then designed and cut a 3/4" thick MDF baffle to mount to the spacer.
I fitted and cut a 3/4" thick spacer to fit over the flat surface under the stock speaker grill.
I fitted and cut a 3/4" thick spacer to fit over the flat surface under the stock speaker grill.
Grill removed with stock basket partially cut away.
Grill removed with stock basket partially cut away.
The stock speaker grill.
The stock speaker grill.
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Who says you can't fiberglass those baffles smoothly into the door anyways (when/if you have the time)? In the mean time I'm sure it sounds just as good :)
thingy

Post by thingy »

I like it, looks good :-)
Kenwood DDX5016DAB
In stock awaiting install ideas
Alpine 7893R
PG Rsd 65cs
2 PG M100
2 12" Xmax
PG Bass Cube Special Edition
PG Xmax 10"
Old School CVIT15.0DVC
PG M50
PG M44
PG M25 Special Edition
PG Xenon 6,5"
PG TiDD10 + Sld44
PG ZX 475TI (Needs check, bought as blown)