My Install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Drock

Re: My Install

Post by Drock »

Well it's not wired up the way I want it yet. But it will have two batts off the first 130 amp alt and three batts off the 250 dedicated for the amps. The one under the good are optima yellow tops
The ones for the amp are xs batts.
And I've heard a few people say that about the batts. But I've mixed batts many times and never once had an issue with batts or alts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Are you using an isolator or just dedicating the alts to specific batteries? of course but with the mix-match of battery brands/sizes and alt sizes can't that cause charging problems?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I don't think it will. Each alt is a separate electrical charging system and each alt will have matching batts on there load. All batts are new and same size/capacity.

I I had different size, old/new mixed up then ya could see a possible problem. But that's not my case. I will post lots of pics as I go.
I hope the dual mount was up soon so I can get started.

Also I've been trying to find that nice wire covering and the heat shrink but have had no luck. Anyone able to get this let me know please.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The difference in the alts is what worries me. As long as they are not on the same ciruit it should be ok.

I am in the process of removing all the stock 20yr old wire loom/coverings as they have become so brittle that you can just crush them in your hand and the pieces fall off of the wires. I am also tucking/hiding all the wires under the hood and covering everything with techflex. The make a number of styles from split down the middle so you can wrap it around an already ran hrns or you can get a loop that you would need to put over the wires which takes a lot more time but can be cleaner. ITs tough as hell to cut so make sure you have sharp scissors or a very sharp knife. Get some heat shrink to go on the ends but prior too that I always do a wrap of electrical tape around it or it can work its way out from the heat shrink.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

If the 250 alt and its associated batteries aren't connected to the other alt, and separately regulated, it would be fine. Any other configuration is asking for trouble.

That being said, I think you plan to run The One and a pair of Elite.4's at 2 ohm? I don't think you have enough current there. Even if you run the 4 channels off the little alt, dedicating the rest to The One, The One is going to suck the batteries dry a lot faster than that 250 will charge them. I have a dedicated 300 amp alternator and the biggest battery stinger currently makes on my amps, and I would be hesitant to add anything short of another four channel to it, and even then it would be four ohm all around on my four channels, resulting in only about a 30 amp increase in draw. I don't have much headroom on the electrical.

The Elite.4 Pulls about 120 amps at 2 ohm, so you'd have about 240 amps there. That should be fine. I don't know what The One draws, but at 2 ohm it makes 8,000 watts. The Elite.1 Draws about 210 amps at 2 Ohm, making 2500+ watts, So you have to figure The One is pulling at least 600 amps at that load. You can probably do it, but I think you'll find yourself sticking battery chargers on the batteries overnight quite a bit. I'd be looking for a triple bracket and a pair of 270 amp alts to feed that thing myself.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Kirghiz wrote:If the 250 alt and its associated batteries aren't connected to the other alt, and separately regulated, it would be fine. Any other configuration is asking for trouble.

That being said, I think you plan to run The One and a pair of Elite.4's at 2 ohm? I don't think you have enough current there. Even if you run the 4 channels off the little alt, dedicating the rest to The One, The One is going to suck the batteries dry a lot faster than that 250 will charge them. I have a dedicated 300 amp alternator and the biggest battery stinger currently makes on my amps, and I would be hesitant to add anything short of another four channel to it, and even then it would be four ohm all around on my four channels, resulting in only about a 30 amp increase in draw. I don't have much headroom on the electrical.

The Elite.4 Pulls about 120 amps at 2 ohm, so you'd have about 240 amps there. That should be fine. I don't know what The One draws, but at 2 ohm it makes 8,000 watts. The Elite.1 Draws about 210 amps at 2 Ohm, making 2500+ watts, So you have to figure The One is pulling at least 600 amps at that load. You can probably do it, but I think you'll find yourself sticking battery chargers on the batteries overnight quite a bit. I'd be looking for a triple bracket and a pair of 270 amp alts to feed that thing myself.
a one?! Not sure where you got me owning/installing a one I am just doing a .2 and .5 being powered off of a 200A alt and dual kenetik batteries(1800 for the stereo and an 800 for starting) with an isolator between them.

Yes if I jam too hard/too long those suckers could put a hurting on the charging system but I am lucky if I crank it up for one song here/there when I find one worth jamming.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Think he was talking about my setup.

Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks for all the advice so far. I found a local alt shop and I'm talking to them about my needs for more power.
I will just be trying "the one" out just because I can't resist. But the final install will be running the two .1 amps and two .4 amps.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:Think he was talking about my setup.

Yeah, Drock was talking about using The One recently. Lol
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yahoo, finally got my dual alternator bracket today. Now I'm on the hunt for another 250-300 amp alt

Drock

Post by Drock »

Anyone have a power distro that might work for my setup?
I need 2x 0/1 in and 4-5 0/1ga out.

I just finished adding my second alt and rewired everything.
But now the short 4ga I had from my distro to the elites are not good enough. Need to change them all to 0/1ga now.

I will now have several pg distros for sale I can't use.

dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Drock wrote:Anyone have a power distro that might work for my setup?
I need 2x 0/1 in and 4-5 0/1ga out.

I just finished adding my second alt and rewired everything.
But now the short 4ga I had from my distro to the elites are not good enough. Need to change them all to 0/1ga now.

I will now have several pg distros for sale I can't use.

Hey bud ...try these ...have a couple and are pretty slick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-KNF ... 58a00284e3
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Drock

Post by Drock »

That's perfect. Thanks.

dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Anytime bro ...glad I could point ya in the right direction. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Drock

Post by Drock »

Some pics of my setup so far.

kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

man the ti gear stand out I wold geet it traded for tantrum would look 100% better.. other wise looks great not build a box
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Drock

Post by Drock »

I'm considering getting something custom built. This was a Micky Mouse way of just getting the setup to work for now. The distros are nice but with my amp all needing 0/1ga these distros don't fit my install anymore.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Did you remove the insulation on the wall behind the amps? With the heat sinks on the bottom of the Elites I'd worry about that insulation trapping heat. The Elite.1 doesn't run hot, but the Elite.4 can get up there on long listening runs. Mine does anyway.

I love what you did with the back doors. What are those? 4" drivers?
Drock

Post by Drock »

No the insulation is still there. My .1 is the same barely gets warm. But my .4 got so hot once that I could not touch it.
For now my goal is to just get the system perfect. Once I'm happy them I'll start working on a nice cosmetic install.
The speaker are ti5's

Drock

Post by Drock »

Finally finished my dash bezel.
Pita to fit a dd deck in a 2001 gmc.
Factory is only din and 1/2.

New h/u is the pioneer nex8000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1419057228.031489.jpg