My Install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Kirghiz

Re: My Install

Post by Kirghiz »

Doesn't the location of those seatbelts piss you off? It does me. :evil:
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yes. Major pain in the ass.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

personally i think you have way to many speaker. to get it to sound right is going to be a real pain in the ass.with that much front i would not have done the rears at all.just me it not a big truck either
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Drock

Post by Drock »

I like the rears, made a huge difference. Sounds much better to my liking anyway. Also more speakers are half the fun of having the system. Sure I could make it sound great with a minimal system. But this way I can say I had fun with it. And it's plenty loud and clean enough for my budget and old ass ears.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Pretty happy so far. Image
One dd3512 12" sub.
Hopping to have the box sealed up properly today so I can try both subs.
I'll be happy if I can achieve around 140db
Would not be to bad for a truck in the cab.
Here's hoping.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I could not wait anymore. Hooked two of the elite12's up to an elite. In the truck this morning.
2.25 cb ported enclosure. Holy f$&". It's loud.
Made my teeth vibrate. These subs are insane.
The headroom is awesome.
Can't wait to take some measurements.
Pretty sure I'm hitting 126ish and the subs are barely moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yup, there's no going back.
Just drove to the city and cranked it up a bit. My nostrils were vibrating. Lol. I'm pretty exited if you can't tell.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LOL No rational person needs more than two of them on an Elite.1. Four of them running off The One will be loud as hell by anyone's reckoning.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Well I had fun today driving around testing out the new elite12 subs. They go super low. Even at low volume it was very impressive.
However. I have a problem I need to figure out.
Twice today, the amp shut down at 132db.
Could a bad lpl cause this?
Other thing I'm thinking is possibly I still have bad ground. My voltage holds steady at 14.5 when driving.
What sucks is I have to remove the seat again to do some troubleshooting.
What other causes could be possible problems?

I notice today that the lpl was working funny. It was turning way up and then would just turn way down. No inbetween.

groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I would double check that grounding just for the safe side. A solidly grounded system is a must.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

by shut down, did it go into protection or just stop playing sound, blow a fuse? If the LPL was shorting out or something it could cause a problem but I would expect more of bad/scratchy sound then shutting down. Why are you assuming the ground is bad? Grab it and give a good yank, make sure it doesn't move at all and as long as you scraped the paint off first you should be ok. How hot was the amp?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The LPL would only be a signal issue I would think. I doubt very seriously it would shut the whole amp down. What size hotwire fuse/breaker or whatever are you running? The Elite.1 can pull over 400 amps by itself, so if the fuse is too small it could cause a problem there just from normal operation. Could be a ground issue, and you should check it, but it's odd that it shuts down at 132db each time. Sounds like it's hitting a magic amperage number and overloading something.
Drock

Post by Drock »

ttocs wrote:by shut down, did it go into protection or just stop playing sound, blow a fuse? If the LPL was shorting out or something it could cause a problem but I would expect more of bad/scratchy sound then shutting down. Why are you assuming the ground is bad? Grab it and give a good yank, make sure it doesn't move at all and as long as you scraped the paint off first you should be ok. How hot was the amp?
That's what I thought as well on the lpl. But thought it was weird that I noticed it at the same time. And it is not scratchy, just goes way up or way down when I touch the knob.

As for the ground. I had issues with ground noise for the longest time that I could not get rid of. Also because it is shutting down, not blowing fuses at higher volume, drawing more current, makes me think it's the ground. The power is direct to battery but ground is to the seat bolt.
And someone told me that the weld to the seat bolt might not be a great contact point to the chassis.

Not sure how hot the amp was as it's hehind the seat. But I imagine not very hot at all, as it shut down within a minute of listening. As soon as I tried to push it at 132db.
I'm sure that it should do much better than that.
I'm thinking I should be able to get 137-139 out of the .1 and two elite12's.

Drock

Post by Drock »

Kirghiz wrote:The LPL would only be a signal issue I would think. I doubt very seriously it would shut the whole amp down. What size hotwire fuse/breaker or whatever are you running? The Elite.1 can pull over 400 amps by itself, so if the fuse is too small it could cause a problem there just from normal operation. Could be a ground issue, and you should check it, but it's odd that it shuts down at 132db each time. Sounds like it's hitting a magic amperage number and overloading something.
Agreed. On the lpl. I'll put a new one in regardless tomorrow.
I'm going to run a ground wire direct to the battery as well. Then I can stop wondering if my ground is good.
If that doesn't help I will try swapping amps and see if it's a problem with the amp. I doubt it though. Never seen an amp that worked only to a certain volume.

Amp is using 0ga and has a 300 amp fuse.

Drock

Post by Drock »

Kirghiz wrote:The LPL would only be a signal issue I would think. I doubt very seriously it would shut the whole amp down. What size hotwire fuse/breaker or whatever are you running? The Elite.1 can pull over 400 amps by itself, so if the fuse is too small it could cause a problem there just from normal operation. Could be a ground issue, and you should check it, but it's odd that it shuts down at 132db each time. Sounds like it's hitting a magic amperage number and overloading something.
Agreed. On the lpl. I'll put a new one in regardless tomorrow.
I'm going to run a ground wire direct to the battery as well. Then I can stop wondering if my ground is good.
If that doesn't help I will try swapping amps and see if it's a problem with the amp. I doubt it though. Never seen an amp that worked only to a certain volume.

Amp is using 0ga and has a 300 amp fuse.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

If the fuse was too small all it would do is blow when he turned it up but it will not limit current until it blows.

Again is it going into protection or just loosing all power? I ran power and ground wires for my system just too be sure that its clean/perty. it can't hurt but I am not sure its the problem we have here. Also, what is ground noise?
Drock

Post by Drock »

Again is it going into protection or just loosing all power? I ran power and ground wires for my system just too be sure that its clean/perty. it can't hurt but I am not sure its the problem we have here. Also, what is ground noise?

I think protection. I can't see it till I take out the seat. But I have to shut my truck off and on to get the amp to turn back on after a shut down.

By ground noise I mean alt wine.

Drock

Post by Drock »

Maybe I just pushed the subs to much. But the was no distortion at all. It sounded great and then twice just shut off.
It did it with different subs as well. So the speakers are not the problem.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:The power is direct to battery but ground is to the seat bolt.
And someone told me that the weld to the seat bolt might not be a great contact point to the chassis.
Yeah, that isn't a good ground at all. Better off drilling a new, clean hole in the steel, strip the paint off with a wire brush on the end of a drill, and anchor the hell out of the ground cable to it. Doesn't get much better than that. With the amps you're running, and will be running soon, you need to have flawless connections.

If you raised the seat an inch and a half, or shaved an inch and a half off the hooks on the seat back that hook to the wall, you could get that seat to fold down enough to get in there and at least work with the amps, and see what they're doing. I sadly have a phd in GM truck seats now. :mrgreen:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

What size alt are you running? See if its in protection/thermal or just loosing power and we will go from there. Sucks you have too take the seat out too do it. I learned long ago that a well hidden amp ends up being an unturned amp at some point. I have learned to make them easy too install/remove or easy to get too just so that its easy too tune/adjust/check. Unfortunatly in trucks you don't have that option as often. Had the same problem in my ranger....

As for the seat belt ground as long as you scrapped the paint and it is nice and tight it should be just fine. They anchor those to some solid metal so it should be an ok ground. I have to agree that personally on my car or any of the customers cars I worked on I never did it. As he said a bolt/nut/lock washer with the paint scrapped off is a better idea.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Also maybe add another ground from the alternator bracket to the chassis? If you havent already. My Toyota didnt have one stock.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you will never hurt anything adding grounds. I have 2 I ran in addition to the stock grounds and did do one from the alt too the chassis.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks for the advice. Hoping to get the seat out this weekend. Picked up three new xs batteries today. Hoping the dual alt bracket shows soon.
Currently I just have the 130 amp installed and two yellow top batts.
I have had the 250 for awhile just been waiting for the mount for it.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

It's likely not what you're seeing, but input voltage spikes over 15.5 volts can send them into protect too.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

how are you wiring the alts/batts up? I thought it was important to have all the batteries and alts matching nearly perfectly or it would lead to charging issues?