PG Wakes the Dead. The Oaks Park Screamland HEARSE.

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

The-Hearse.jpg
Here's an install for ya. Back in the day PG apparently teamed up with Clear Channel radio to outfit this 1973 Miller Meteor Cadillac Hearse for the local Portland Oregon Oaks Park haunted house called Screamland. Clear Channel radio station Z100 would do it's broadcasts from the car each year and it would sit plugged in to a land line, doors open, lit green inside, booming out the stations tunes for those waiting in line for attractions. I remember seeing it when it was in use and thought it was outstanding.

Fast Forward a few years and Screamland is no more. The hearse went into indoor storage and vanished until I uncovered it gathering dust and brought it back to life (so to speak).

I don't know when exactly it was assembled maybe someone here can help determine that by the hardware. The car is super solid, no rust, and was once Royal Blue before getting black paint, a new set of water jet cut door panels on all the doors and custom spider web PG speaker grills and little PG bats, and a whole lot of boom. There are six 12's in boxes in the rear and about 10 other speakers for different ranges. The amps are 500.2 Tantrum units, and all the wiring is hidden under the slide out table box or under cover behind the drivers seat. It sounds really good and is not all bass so I am guessing that it was a show car for PG and they put a lot of time into it. Astoundingly there are no rattles or ugly vibrations despite the age of the car. Quiet as a tomb (so to speak. Again.)

It must have been a deal with PG because EVERYTHING is PG. The fuses, cables, battery terminal clamps, amps, subs, speakers, grills, decorations, door panels and that huge acrylic cutout for the amp box are all Phoenix Gold. It even has the little LED voltage display and a bass adjustment knob hidden in one of the pillars.

The car has been in indoor dry storage since I picked it up a number of years ago. It runs and drives great. Unfortunatly I am having to move and can't take it with me so it'll end up for sale soon, but figured ya'll would love some pictures of it. I would love to find out more about it as I've never contacted PG to see if they still have history on it or photos as I have nothing from before I brought it home.

Does anyone remember it or have pictures from when it was in use?

Enjoy.
Attachments
ScreamlandHearse-10.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-09.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-08.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-07.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-06.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-05.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-04.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-03.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-02.jpg
ScreamlandHearse-01.jpg
dvnt88

Re: PG Wakes the Dead. The Oaks Park Screamland HEARSE.

Post by dvnt88 »

WOW :shock: ...I remeber when they had this in action at Oaks park ...man, that brings back some memories :clap: . You may want to get a hold of Valeks1 (Alek), local PG repair tech still in Portland as he may know something about it or be able to get you in contact with the original PG group now located in Florida via AAMP :pray: . You located in the Portland area???, we have a few local PG Phanatics locally and would be cool to see the Hearse in person ...again. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

dvnt88 wrote:WOW :shock: ...I remeber when they had this in action at Oaks park ...man, that brings back some memories :clap: . You may want to get a hold of Valeks1 (Alek), local PG repair tech still in Portland as he may know something about it or be able to get you in contact with the original PG group now located in Florida via AAMP :pray: . You located in the Portland area???, we have a few local PG Phanatics locally and would be cool to see the Hearse in person ...again. :mrgreen:
Yup. Not far outside of portland. If you want to drop me a line to my email your'e more than welcome. I'd be out driving it but the weather has been a bit off lately, to say the least. I haven't had it out of the garage for a few years at this point but it was nice enough yesterday to get some pictures.

Hey, do you by chance know where I can find the video of the hearse from when the crackhead broke into it, then fell asleep in the drivers seat and got arrested? That was hilarious, and it's why the back door is damaged. I never fixed it because the story was too interesting. I think Jay Leno actually made a comment on it during one of his shows.

I had hoped the weather would be nicer but it looks like she may not go far this halloween. Wanted to get one more halloween in before I sold it.
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, a few years ago the hearse was used in a short film that won the 24 hour film festival for Portland. It can be seen here

jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

Also, the car has been in the news a few times. Man, I've owned this a lot longer than I thought. http://thevig.portlandtribune.com/featu ... 4190369700
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Don't know where to find the video you're askin' about, but I think I remeber something about the break in ...been quite a few years. I'm in Aloha and have been a huge PG Phanatic since I got out of the service back in '93 and never looked back. My email is [email protected] and would be cool to see the rollin' coffin again in person. Why are ya sellin it if you don't mind my asking? If I had the coin I'd take it just for shits and grins. ")
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

This place is up for sale so I won't have somewhere indoors to keep it and I'll likely have to move eventually. Also, my broke ass could use the cash. If I had a place of my own and somewhere to park it indoors out of the way I wouldn't be considering selling it.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Ok. I will bite. How much are you wanting for it? :)
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

That's kinda to be determined, I have a number of other cars and projects I'd much rather sell first. Was also hoping to find out some more history on it before sticking a price in the window.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Wow. That's a head turner for sure.
A one of a kind.
screamland_steve

Post by screamland_steve »

Hi, This is Steve, who with the help of Phoenix Gold, designed this hearse. If you are still interested in selling the hearse, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks!
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ Niccccccce ...Keepin' it in the PG Phamily. :clap:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Wow, thats random.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

If I remember right church built it at car toys
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
Macgyver76

Post by Macgyver76 »

Now that a long dead thread has re awoken.... Did this car ever sell?? If so how much? If not is it still for sale?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

Macgyver76 wrote:Now that a long dead thread has re awoken.... Did this car ever sell?? If so how much? If not is it still for sale?
still up! http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4466563295.html
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

still wish we could find pics of the bmw build with all the custom Ti pieces.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ByBlaZeD

Post by ByBlaZeD »

Well it seems it must have sold. Or the seller took it off Craigslist. The link says there's nothing here. I'd love to know what it went for!
PG Collection in the making:
2 - ZX400ti
1 - X600.1
2 - X100.4
1 - Ti2500.1
1 - Ti800.4
1 - XS2300
1 - Sapphire SA3.0X
1 - XS124
1 - White Bass CUBE
1 - Black Bass CUBE
2 - TLD66
1 - XSC10
3 - LPL44
1 - BLK RMD
1 - RMD (New Style)
Fused Distro's
Non-Fused Distro's
RCA's

Non-PG.....
1 - JL e4300
1 - JL JX500/1
1 - RF Punch 200aIV
1 - RF Punch 250m
2 - RF P2D2-12
1 - RF P165-S (Locked up woofer after 6 months!! Stay Away LOL)
1 - MTX Thunder 2150X
1 - SS Reference 414s
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

ByBlaZeD wrote:Well it seems it must have sold. Or the seller took it off Craigslist. The link says there's nothing here. I'd love to know what it went for!

It has not sold. I've had it in storage till about 24 hours ago. Started right up, runs nice even on the sorta old gas (though that ran out and runs better still on fresh gas).

Just finished washing it, will tomorrow polish and wax it and give it the once over, toss some insurance on it and I plan on driving it around this month.

I started at $16k for the car, a bit high but it could always go down. I cut that in half when I was hurting for money and currently it's still for sale at 8k.

I don't think it could be built for that. I figure half the cost is in the car, half in the stereo and custom work inside it.

Really considering just keeping it at this point. I don't HAVE to sell it and it's one of my very favorite toys.

At least it's interesting seeing what people offer when I take the price off. Had someone offer me $1200 cash, they'd come out RIGHT NOW and pick it up. Yeah, I bet ya would friend.

Anyway, it's still around, still for sale. I've remembered now that it was starting to have an odd issue with the drivers door speakers. I removed them and they work fine on the other door so it's not the speakers. Tested the head unit and it's not that. They duck in and out, just sort of randomly fade out, then will come back. I'm guessing a wire under the drivers seat, or possibly in the big amp box at the amp itself for that side has come slightly loose and needs tightening but haven't traced it down yet. They literally used PG *everything* on this car, the wires, plugs, amps, fuses, battery clamps, seriously everything. Would love to have seen this when it was first built.

Thanks for lookin' at it folks.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

damn that would be fun to drive around in.
jaygryph

Post by jaygryph »

Well, the Stereo Hearse is now up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/191822292016?

The listing starts at 8pm tonight so if it does not show up right away, check back.

Lets see how well this goes!

~J
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

David Werner should buy this... For his cleaning out stereo shops hauls.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Drock

Post by Drock »

I already asked my wife. She just laughed. Not sure if that's a yes or a no. Lol
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

seems to me you would have known for sure if it was a no............ So there for it must be a yes!
Drock

Post by Drock »

Awesome. I like your thinking Scott. Hah