Amp rack on back of truck wall.

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Drock

Amp rack on back of truck wall.

Post by Drock »

I'm wondering if anyone has any picks of an amp rack they built in a pickup on the back wall. I'm just looking for ideas. I want to fit four amps in my truck. I have a couple ideas at the moment for mounting them but making it look good is the trick.
The amps are 2 elite.4's for comps. 1 elite.2 for the elite 9m's, and an elite.1 for sub duty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Amp rack on back of truck wall.

Post by ttocs »

put an Octane LE in the back of my ranger.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3237206/1 ... ab/page-5/
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Looks good. Nice job on that install. Thanks for the input Scott.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

4 Elites on the back wall is a lot of real estate, and it really doesn't offer a lot of options in terms of positioning. Also, I couldn't even fit two Elites behind the seat of my 2012 Chevy Crew Cab at all, but I imagine you're taking the rear seat out......I would have if I didn't HAVE to have the seat in there.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

Custom headliner?
Collection Growing..........
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

with as heave as those amps are I would not want them hanging above me...
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

ttocs wrote:with as heave as those amps are I would not want them hanging above me...
Good point, lol.
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I wasn't really comfortable putting my octane like it was as with it being 30 lbs I just wasn't sure that those 4 little plastic tabs would be able to hold all the weight in the case of a accident for example. I ended up making some wooden flanges that used the entire end of the amp to mount it and help hold it in place.

But you would be talking 120 lbs on your roof if you fit them all up there. I cant help but think you will notice a change in how it handles and would certainly need some supports or something.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

Collection Growing..........
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote: But you would be talking 120 lbs on your roof if you fit them all up there. I cant help but think you will notice a change in how it handles and would certainly need some supports or something.
Especially if it is something of a rollover hazard to begin with. Every time I drive my boss's F-150 I feel like it's going to flip going around corners. Pretty much all Fords give me that feeling where my Chevy doesn't. Not trying to start a Ford/Chevy argument, just my experience. I couldn't imagine making an F-150 even more top heavy.

Honestly, if i were going to mount 4 Elites in a truck, I think the only real option is horizontally 2 by 2 on the back wall, assuming you have 48" of available wall space from side. If you don't have that, than you just about have to do them vertically like so, and even then you need 44" side to side at minimum: (I I I I)

Those are really the only two options if you value seeing out the back window.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I got it figured out today. Went to the fabrication shop today. I'm getting new brackets made so I can move the rear seat ahead 2-1/2" this will give me enough clearance to mount all my distros. Dd10, Processor and power cores on the lower half of the back wall under the lip that runs across under the window. Then a metal frame will be welded and hinged at the bottom and latched at the top. The amp rack will be attached to the metal frame. This way I can unlatch the top and flip down to access the gear behind the rack. Four elite amps will easily fit vertically across the back wall this way. Also it works out good because all the adjustment controls will be facing up. So adjustments will be easy.
Keeping the seat is a must and having the gear safe behind the seat is a must also. I have three kids that ride back there everyday. This is my work truck and I spend about three to four hours a day in there. So why not have fun with it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

hope you or someone you know is good at welding as that will be a lot of weight carried. On a daily basis the amp rack/frame doesn't need to be too strong but if you think of the worst case scenario(rear-ending someone I would think) then the stresses that those amps could create is pretty significant and if it isn't stopped, your front seats and you probably will not stop it either. For this same reason I have been considering getting a welder and learning to weld myself or taking it to someone that can make a sturdy enough frame for it all to stay in place in the event of that worst case scenario.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Everything will be very secure. I do everything over kill. Every thing will be bolted not screwed in place. And as I said its all still behind the seats. So if I get hit hard enough that the seat comes off, then I'd probably be dead anyway. Also to note, I have a 5000 pound trailer hooked to the truck 90% of the time. And 80k is max speed for me. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere. Lol if any thing comes flying at me it will be the 2500 pound diesel generator I pull around in the trailer.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Here's a pic of how I have two amp installed now. The welding shop is busy so I might have to wait awhile.
Drock

Post by Drock »

kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

looking good!
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Drock wrote:Image
YUMMY :D
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
Macgyver76

Post by Macgyver76 »

Channel mounted to trucks structure behind headliner, 1" acrylic, then fastened every 6" to rear cab wall behind box.YMMV
Attachments
007_4.JPG
Navy Chief

Post by Navy Chief »

I am doing something similar, here is a link to mine (has pics of my back wall)

http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22991