2013 VW CC with McIntosh, Dynaudio, PG Xmax 12", zpa0.5

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
vwdude

Re: 2013 VW CC r-line with Mac, Dyn, and OS PG updated 7/19/

Post by vwdude »

Here are some pictures of the new enclosure, and then some with the sub mounted. I need to do some finishing work on the enclosure, and then of course test it to see how it sounds. this will all happen this weekend.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
vwdude

Re: 2013 VW CC r-line with Mac and Dyn updated july 5, 2013

Post by vwdude »

UPDATE: I decided to read the owners manual. I didnt have it until recently when a member on DIYMA emailed me a PDF of it. It turns out that when using the built in low pass filter theres some unique things to know. There are 3 settings, OUT, 80Hz, 120Hz. When using the OUT position, thats using the internal low pass filter (non adjustable) with an external input into channels 5 and 6. When using either of the other two options, its an adjusted filter to that frequency, but takes the summed signal from the other channels, and crosses them over at your selected frequency. Now heres the important part, those 5 and 6 channel inputs now become an output which can be sent to an external subwoofer amp. If you connect RCAs to that, it drastically reduces the output on the speaker channels.

After reading this, I tried flipping the switch to OUT, using the sub channels from my LC6i (which does not have a crossover that I know of) but i didnt like the output so I UNPLUGGED the RCAs, effectively running 1 set of stereo RCAs into my 6 channel amp, and the output to my sub went up drastically. It now sounds phenomenal. I do still need to finish sealing up the box and putting in poly fill.

Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Is the stock amp right under that enclosure?
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Ahsmo wrote:Is the stock amp right under that enclosure?
I have no clue where the stock amp would usually go, my car didnt come with an amp. The amplified system came with the V6 models, i have the r-line which only came with the 2.0t.
vwdude

Re: 2013 VW CC with McIntosh, Dynaudio, PG Xmax 12"

Post by vwdude »

Oh crap, i never updated after I finished the box...I installed a terminal cup. Of course i had ot mess with it, because the box is contoured on all surfaces i trimmed the cup and then heated it with a heat gun to mold it to the box. it now seals up very well. I also used "milkshake" to solidify and damp the box. It is now dead dead dead. The box is so well sealed that when I push on the cone it comes out slowly.

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

strangest shop shoes of all time.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Haha yea I
Did the carpeting right after work, didn't want to change. I don't fiberglass in work clothes usually. ;)

Btw I carpeted the box to prevent rattles. It's still hidden hind that panel. I
Also like to "finish" even if its hidden. If it were visible I would have done a better job at carpeting.

Next phase is to see if my sub output goes up with a dedicated sub amp. I will use my PPI PC275 as the test but when I get my zpa0.5 working that's going in. I might get a second Xmax then for yet more sub output as the zpa has the headroom.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Damn is this thread in need of updating. I decided to go active, so I bought a JBL MS-8. My McIntosh 6 channel will run my 3 way components up front and my ZPA0.5 will run my xmax. I know its overkill but it makes sense to run an old school PG sub with an old school PG amp. Problem is, I havnt finished with the amp (got side tract), so I am using a PPI amp in the mean time. This is why you will see the sub amp changing throughout the photos.

So I ran 2 gauge power wire. Heres my inline fuse with the custom metal bracket:

I hid my MS-8 behind the passenger side trunk panel (similar to how the sub was hidden behind the drivers side trunk panel:

And I made a panel out of 3/4" MDF to hold my amps, power/ground distribution, and hold the clips to keep the beauty board in place:

vwdude

Post by vwdude »

So I re did lots of wiring. Because I am going from passive with crossovers in the doors to active I needed to run lots more speaker wire. I decided that rather than getting 6 conductor 16 gauge wire or running 3 separate lines of speaker wire I got a pack of 7 colors of 16 gauge wire in 50 feet. I then twisted the pairs and braided the 3 pairs together. I then put it all in platinum tech flex. I also made my own 6 channel RCA cables, and that got snake pattern tech flex. I will let my wiring pictures speak for the rest:

Into the doors:

by the drivers door grommet, the 2 gauge power wire and the 3 channel speaker wire:

RCA and speaker wire zip tied together:

1/0 ground:

The RCAs that I made myself:
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

And here is where we sit now...it should be done by this weekend. I am also tuning the MS-8 which is fun but time consuming.