The Phoenix Gold Crate Project, Outlaw and Bandit amp rack

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Navy Chief

The Phoenix Gold Crate Project, Outlaw and Bandit amp rack

Post by Navy Chief »

So I have not really been happy with my amp rack since I built it a few months ago. The amp rack was always a temporary plan just to get the amps mounted, so I am fine with rebuilding it. I am also finally ready to add my second Bandit to the mix to power the tweeters I added, this also requires a change. So here is the plan.

I have always loved the fact the Phoenix Gold shipped their special edition amps in wooden crates, but what happens to the crate when you mount the amp. Why not incorporate a crate into the install, and that's what I intend to do. I never got the original crate that my Outlaw came in and the Bandits just come in a box (that's not interesting), so my plan is to build a new crate that house all 3 amps together for one 52" long amp.

Here is what it looks like now with the Outlaw and 1 Bandit along with the 15 farad distro cap (this is either getting moved or replaced I haven't yet decided)

Here is what all 3 amps look like lined up.

I made a "technical" drawing to represent my plan.

The goal is to make it look like an old crate, something that is old and worn like this.

The center crosshatched part will be some sort of wire or steel mesh so you can see the amps inside as well as provide ventilation. I may even leave the metal grating outside so it can oxidize a bit for authenticity. I am also going to light it from the inside using this kit from Parts Express, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=073-086

The "crate" will be bolted to the back wall of the cab behind the rear seat, it will appear as if an old crate has just been showed back there till the lights turn on.

Looking for input, what do you guys think.
Kirghiz

Re: The Phoenix Gold Crate Project, Outlaw and Bandit amp ra

Post by Kirghiz »

Navy Chief wrote: Looking for input, what do you guys think.
I'm having trouble picturing it, but you clearly have a vision for what you are after. At the end of the day the only person that needs to like it is you.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

I think its a great idea.I like it. You could add a fan on each end to help with cooling.
Navy Chief

Post by Navy Chief »

zztunnell wrote:I think its a great idea.I like it. You could add a fan on each end to help with cooling.
I am going to see how warm it gets first before adding a fan. Because its in the cab with me I can hear the fans running. I lose points for my Powercore relay clicking on because it is so loud already.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

I say go for it. If you don't like it you can always build something else.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have actually seen an install where they did something similar. It wasn't bad and the people that know PG and how the amp came can appreciate it but be ready to explain to 75% of the people that see it why you mounted it in an old wooden crate. That is an estimate that %5 might know the crates history and another 20% just not caring enough to ask.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I think its an interesting and different idea. I like it when people think outside the box. Ttocs is right though about having to explain it to most people who have no clue about the PG history. And FYI, M series amps get real hot, i think it will definitely require fans. Post pics as you go.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Navy Chief

Post by Navy Chief »

[QUOTE=Navy Chief;1931980]So I got started on building the amp rack (crate) today, a big thanks to Glenn (GLN305 from diymobileaudio) for coming over to give me a hand. I picked up the wood last week from Home Depot, I am using the select grade pine, no knots.

The entire crate is 55" long and about 12" tall and 4" deep. The crate will get distressed and beaten up to look old before it is done. I may also add some stencils for "high voltage" or things like that. Here is what it looks like so far.

Image[/QUOTE]
Navy Chief

Post by Navy Chief »

So I hooked up the Bandit that I have not used yet and I smoked it. I burned up a whole bank of caps and the board is toast. Last year I had all 3 amps gone thru and bench tested to make sure the caps were good. This is the first time I have fired this amp up since getting it back, so now I need a new board.

If anyone has an amp or board, I started a thread on diymobileaudio to buy a new one.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car ... -good.html[/QUOTE]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

have you considered how hard it will be to tune the system with that design?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

You might check out eBay and see if there is a Bandit on there for cheap that you can cannibalize.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Kirghiz wrote:You might check out eBay and see if there is a Bandit on there for cheap that you can cannibalize.
I dont know that i have seen a "cheap" Bandit on Ebay, lol.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LowandLoud wrote:
Kirghiz wrote:You might check out eBay and see if there is a Bandit on there for cheap that you can cannibalize.
I dont know that i have seen a "cheap" Bandit on Ebay, lol.

LL
No, but internally a Bandit is just an M series amp with an LE housing. I have seen some cheap M series amps.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

didn't Roldy have a few for sale a while back?
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

You will need to make a way for that top to come off to leave access for the gain controls or it will be impossible to tune.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

dang that sucks that your amp burnt. hope u find one cause that was really looking sexy! always liked those amps.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Macgyver76

Post by Macgyver76 »

That board may be salvageable, I would look much closer before simply writing it off...
Navy Chief

Post by Navy Chief »

I have already made arrangements to buy a freshly refurbished M50 board, the guy is even giving me a core charge for my burnt board. He is going to send me a fresh M50 and I will swap the boards and send it back. He is also going to refurb my other Bandit. The Outlaw will be following shortly after, it only saw power for the first time this year so it has very little use. I will just have to monitor it closely.

The entire front of the rack is removable, I'm using rare earth magnets to fasten it. It will appear to be hinged but it will just completely come off for tuning.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere, so I am going to ask a stupid question.

Have you had those amps recapped?
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Navy Chief wrote:I have already made arrangements to buy a freshly refurbished M50 board, the guy is even giving me a core charge for my burnt board. He is going to send me a fresh M50 and I will swap the boards and send it back. He is also going to refurb my other Bandit. The Outlaw will be following shortly after, it only saw power for the first time this year so it has very little use. I will just have to monitor it closely.

The entire front of the rack is removable, I'm using rare earth magnets to fasten it. It will appear to be hinged but it will just completely come off for tuning.
Make sure it is a rev B board !!!!. a rev A will not fit with the bandit/outlaw connector....... (info gotten from Eric D in the past.....)

It is just sooooo sad to see these pics.....the story of 'slide a paper underneath' or 'try first with a low fuse value' is bullshit in my eyes.....

FIRST replacing the ps caps, AFTER recapping you can power it up and give it a shot......

Please let this be a lesson for the future..... :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

By the way,this board is repairable..... I did already two succesfully...........
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Kirghiz wrote:I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere, so I am going to ask a stupid question.

lol talk about a day late dollar short...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:
Kirghiz wrote:I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere, so I am going to ask a stupid question.

:doh: I just now saw the last picture of the caps with the holes eaten through the sides. :doh:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Kirghiz wrote:
ttocs wrote:

:doh: I just now saw the last picture of the caps with the holes eaten through the sides. :doh:

Did you see the pics above with the caps exploded? Too funny :)
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Like I said.........Derp.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

sorry, could not resist... Nothing to see here carry on now.