86 S10 Blazer a.k.a. CHEECH

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
zztunnell

86 S10 Blazer a.k.a. CHEECH

Post by zztunnell »

Figured Id start an install thread to show progress as I go.This build is for my son. (Edited to add new gear. Still trying to get a few things together so I can start building. Im having a time trying to decide how Im gonna do the amp rack :roll: )

Amps:Phoenix Gold QX(chrome)
1-QX2100
3-QX2180's
3-QX2350's
2-QX4075's
3-QX4150's

Mids and highs:Boston Acoustics
2-Pro60SE sets
1-746 4x6 plates

Midbass:Dayton Audio
2-8" RS225-4 Reference series

Subs:?

Power distribution:Monster Cable
1-250amp Mechman alternator
2-? batteries

Head unit:Sony
XAV 72BT dvd player. (I still want an Excelon,but this one sorta fell into my lap.So Im gonna run with it and see how it goes)

Processors:Kenwood
KEC-600 Old school 6way crossover
Came with a clear cover that had never been used :shock:
Attachments
ab 011 (1536 x 924).jpg
Last edited by zztunnell on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LowandLoud

Re: 86 S10 Blazer a.k.a. CHEECH

Post by LowandLoud »

Thats a clean Blazer. A good start to your project. The only thing i would address is that mondo ground clearance issue :lol:

I love the clear rear side windows. My bro has been searching for 6 years for a set for his Jimmy. I am not sure if they were available in Canada.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

Sweet blazer! I haven't seen many first gens in blue. What motor is in it?
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

LowandLoud wrote:Thats a clean Blazer. A good start to your project. The only thing i would address is that mondo ground clearance issue :lol:

I love the clear rear side windows. My bro has been searching for 6 years for a set for his Jimmy. I am not sure if they were available in Canada.

LL
I dropped the rear 4 inches.Some idiot heated the coils in front with a torch.

Gonna set final ride height after install. Im sure the rear gonna set a lot lower with couple hundred pounds of gear in it.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

CK1991 wrote:Sweet blazer! I haven't seen many first gens in blue. What motor is in it?
Its got the 2.8l V6. I rebuilt it and added roller tip rockers.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

zztunnell wrote:I dropped the rear 4 inches.Some idiot heated the coils in front with a torch.

Gonna set final ride height after install. Im sure the rear gonna set a lot lower with couple hundred pounds of gear in it.
I was just giving you a hard time, i like the truck. Its hard to kill those old "iron duke's".

And yes, a few hundred pounds will set the back down a bit.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

zztunnell wrote:
CK1991 wrote:Sweet blazer! I haven't seen many first gens in blue. What motor is in it?
Its got the 2.8l V6. I rebuilt it and added roller tip rockers.
Back in the late 80s, my dad had a red/ white 84 blazer 4x4 off road package with the 2.8 and 5 speed manual. It had big tires, 2 sets of rims (both steel and factory aluminum), a factory 2" lift and factory skid plates. He said it was a great truck until he blew the motor (which he said was the weak link of the truck). He said he took it offroad through cornfields, jumping train tracks, hopping the huge boat chains down on wharf street making it pop wheelies on the street (which was apparently more like a 4 wheel hop), racing it, etc. He said if he had treated it right, it probably would still be running, but he tore the crap out of it and it died in 92 (motor lost compression). He said it was one of his favorite vehicles ever, and that GM must have done a great job building it because else it would have died alot sooner given the way he treated it.
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

We bought this after he seen pics my 86 2wd. He fell in love with it. Mine had the 2.8 5speed 2tone blue on white. I had 4-15"vega XL-D's tuned to 30hz on an Autotek BTS 7150. Man I miss that truck!
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Having trouble figuring out what to do with my mids and highs.

Im running the boston746 plates in dash and dayton 8's in the kicks.

Should I run both sets of pro60se's in doors or 1 set in doors and 1 set in rear where 6x9's usually mount?

Also what are your ideas on using the boston xovers or running the components active?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

A lot depends on how much you care about the rear passenger's listening experience.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Im going all active first to see how that sounds.
Kirghiz wrote:A lot depends on how much you care about the rear passenger's listening experience.
The more I measure the more I am beginning to realize there is not gonna be any room for rear passengers,lol.

Ive just about decided to cut and paste the front to the rear.

As in 1 8" midbass and 1 Pro 60 set in all 4 locations. With the time alignment of the HU I should be able to get it to a liveable staging.

Ive always ran rear speakers and Im sorta used to the way it sounds. Plus now Im running a DVD player( not to mention now he wants me to add a PS3). So Ill need the surround speakers.

This "old school" install is turning into a mobile theater. :(
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

zztunnell wrote:Plus now Im running a DVD player( not to mention now he wants me to add a PS3). So Ill need the surround speakers.

Nah, I wouldn't do that at all. Wait til the fall and get a PS4. :D

If it were me, I would put a 32", 37" or 42" TV, whatever fits, facing the rear tailgate so that you open the back door and it's there, and just put a soundbar type of setup below the TV facing back for the sound. A couple sets of 5 1/4's would probably work with a single sub. If you had double doors like a van you could put the speakers in those doors, but you don't. In a perfect world the video system would have it's own amp and source so those speakers only play when the video system is active. Easiest way would be to give it it's own HU. Signal from the DVD/Video Game/whatever into the TV, TV to the HU, HU to the amp/s. Rear HU is turned off, and the associated amps would also be off.

You'd have to sit in folding lawn chairs or what have you to play it, but it'd be cool as hell. The TV's now are slender, and the whole thing shouldn't occupy more than 8 inches or so of depth from the back door at the most depending on how you mounted it. A couple things to think about would be bracing it well, which shouldn't be a problem since they come with wall mounting brackets on the back, and ventilation out the top, because they kick out some heat.

I couldn't imagine trying to play a video game on any kind of screen that would fit anywhere else in the vehicle tbh.

That's what I'd do. :D
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Kirghiz wrote:
zztunnell wrote:Plus now Im running a DVD player( not to mention now he wants me to add a PS3). So Ill need the surround speakers.

Nah, I wouldn't do that at all. Wait til the fall and get a PS4. :D

We are getting a PS4 for the home theater. We have 2 backwards compatible PS3's and a 80Gig fat boy PS3 on the home system now.

He wants to put 1 of the backwards compatible PS3's in his truck to make room for the PS4. (Id rather sell it to help fund the PS4 or the rest of his system) :?

I have an older 21" 1080i TV/monitor im not using anymore. Id like to find a place for. It works great but the external power supply for it has a blown cap in it. I can try to fix cap,but all it requires is a 12v 5a supply. Be easier to wire it to the 12v system in the truck.

I have a Monster Cable :D power inverter laying around I could power the PS3 with.

I gotta admit its kinda irritating trying to figure out how to add all this extra stuff. When Im still trying to decide how I want to do the audio portion of the sytem. Argh! :|