cyclone(s)

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
gratest1

cyclone(s)

Post by gratest1 »

Well I will hopefully have my install done in 2 weeks now I have the sub bass sorted out. 2 working cyclones. Well the uk had to have some of them.

Had one running yesterday in 1.6 cu ft box, (just wanted to see if it hadn't ceased. this box was a pre-fab sealed and the cyclone was held in with just 4 screws. It was on par with a 13w7 in propoer jl sealed box.

differences jl went lower but the box size was restricting the cyclone. the quality and response blew the w7 away for definition.

Look forward to them both running.

will keep you posted.

Also does anyone have any pics of the old pg dually demo van

yellow at iasca 96 with 4 cyclones.
Attachments
29062007131.jpg
29062007131.jpg (511.68 KiB) Viewed 8810 times
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

as many cyclones as we did back in the day, and as many as W7's I have messed with, I can honestly say, there is no way in hell the W7 will play lower than the cyclone. if ya want to keep the cyclone from self destructing it needs a bigger box, 2.5. Also the vane noise is loud, and the cyclone doesn't play as near as the sound quality as even a basic woofer of todays standard. it just went low with authority. And PG used to recommend a 10" or a 12" sub to coexist with the cyclone, so it sounds good.

so not to call BS, but seriously.... :roll:
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
gratest1

quite strong and convicted

Post by gratest1 »

Just remember this was a basic test to see if the woofers were working correct. We were just suprised it hammered the way it did. Your right it hit with authority but the box seriously stoped the cyclone from the full presence it has at 30 odd hz. As for dynamic response. I will beg to differ. W7's are fantastic but heavy and a little slow. Personal opinion i guess. Not forgetting that basic fact that a cyclone plays with little distortion compared to a coventional design of a cone type woofer.

In may actual install I am going to running them free air ina very sealed boot which equates to around 7 cu ft. So Its a bit of nostalgia for me and something new for new cats who have never seen anything like this before.

Value your opinion my friend, good having dialogue
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

what are they going into? 7cf is pretty damn big. can wait for more pictures.

and don't mind Jim....he can be a little short sometimes....but he is a world class installer.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

Bfowler wrote:what are they going into? 7cf is pretty damn big. can wait for more pictures.

and don't mind Jim....he can be a little short sometimes....but he is a world class installer.
thanks for the compliment

I do have a lot of experience with the cyclone, and to sum up the cyclone
It is low frequency presence, not impact. not saying the cyclone is the poop, but the original design was neat
not what the cyclone looks like know, if you do a google for cyclone
you will find the company that made it, and sold to PG
James Shields

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
dgoodhue

Post by dgoodhue »

jbondox wrote:I do have a lot of experience with the cyclone, and to sum up the cyclone It is low frequency presence, not impact. not saying the cyclone is the poop
Given your experience with a Cyclone, do you think that a good mid bass is enough? I was planning on using Dynaudio 362's (3 way with 8" midbass driver) to 50 Hz and the Cyclone 50 hz down. Do you think I would need another sub. If I was to use a sub (I would probably use a 10") Would I overlap the frequencies? I know this won't be a SPL set up.
Last edited by dgoodhue on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
91 GMC Syclone - PG Ti 500.4AL, Boston Acoustic Z6, Exile XT10
12 Legacy - Stock
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Dave,

IMO I have the TI951's....

And the 9's dont get very low...not familiar w/ the 8's in the dyn set...But I am running my single cyclone, and has better fill, with another sub along next to it.
(in currently is a 12w7.)
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

i will concur with jbx.. the cyclone design was for simply low end reinforcement.. i worked with some and yeah it was not uncommon for us to use like 12 inch subs to play the quicker notes, but the cyclone would
just grumble the low end...its not a very transient devise but it will dump
low end better then w7. put that fucker in about 3 cubic ft tuned low and get some regular subs to play the quicker notes and guys will trip when you hit a low note...

get some crappy 10s and hide the cyclones...yeah that should make people go whaaaaatttttttttt...

jbondo
its good to see you more on this forum..
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

brenzbmr@sb wrote: get some crappy 10s and hide the cyclones...yeah that should make people go whaaaaatttttttttt...
How do you hide a cyclone?! haha specially in a 3cu ft box!?!
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

Wakeup wrote:
brenzbmr@sb wrote: get some crappy 10s and hide the cyclones...yeah that should make people go whaaaaatttttttttt...
How do you hide a cyclone?! haha specially in a 3cu ft box!?!
throw it in the trunk and tell them it is the compressor for your new suspension... :wink:
James Shields

jbondox

Post by jbondox »

dave, I have no experience with dyn's... i did do many 951 setups and the 9's played damn good, very low and you could probably get away with the cyclone, but if you want some impact, add a 10" sub

Brenz, thanks man :) ... we used to toss a cyclone in a display, and played an xmax 10 or a 12... back in the day... lmao...we had to compete against the eclipse ti sub...
James Shields

gratest1

Update

Post by gratest1 »

All of you thanks for the advice. Yeah I am aware of the "Tom Danely" and read some articles. He also said that he intended it more for free air. I also Heard the prototype verision with larry fredricks in 95/96. Alloy chasis.
I had one in 97 and ran it 2 cu ft sealed alongside a very early dynaudio sys 360 set. All off a PPI a404.

I also agree with the low impact it had but one thing which was clear was people were not used to clean bass. Hence why people propped it up with 10's etc. They were not used to a sub playing with 3% distortion and then all the parameters of conventional woofer changing when it got to operating tempreture. Also known as power compression.

I guess its a gamble. I guess I may be wrong, I also respect your views and value them.

Did anyone run 2 in parallel, What impedance problems may occur?

He is early pics of my install?
Attachments
Image069.jpg
Image069.jpg (288.45 KiB) Viewed 8549 times
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Gotta let us know how that sounds! Looks interesting.
nick-caper
BANNED!!!!!1111

Post by nick-caper »

Wow. Finally someone with a post I want to see! PleasE! Let us know how it sounds. I just got a new Cyclone and I am scared to use it cause I hear they are delicate and dont really get loud.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

What do you mean dont get loud?! heh...I have one and it hits pretty loud....just by itself....

I did reinforce it with a TI12D Elite, but changed to a w7 for fun...and will be changing that out for an 12"xxx soon.

pics available...will post some in a while...not at home....