Old School in 350Z roadster

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Bipjip

Old School in 350Z roadster

Post by Bipjip »

Hey all, well it’s time to finally install a real system in my car. The specifics:
07 350z roadster Blose/and factory Nav.
I’ve replaced the blose sub behind the seat with a down firing 10w3v2, being ran by a PPI PC2600.2 (600w@4ohms bridged), and I replaced the head unit with a pioneer ft8000bt (going for a factory look, I don’t like the two screens look). So that brings you up to date. Here’s the new plan: replacing the down firing sub with a sundown SA10d2 in a fiberglass box firing out at the seat just like the factory sub did, I’m basing the box on a bazooka tube, screwed to the factory plate and a cut out for a 2 ¾ port. I will be replacing the PPI amp with a wait for it!! ZX600TI freshly reconditioned by Valeks1, and the factory Blows amp will be replaced with a ZX475Ti freshly reconditioned also thanks Valeks1!!. I’m using KnuKoncept wires throughout the install. 1/0 wire with a 100 Amp circuit breaker connected to a Kenitic KHC1800 back to StreetWires CBR44M. 4 awg to each amp and grounded with 1/0 to factory ground in trunk. I really want to put a great front stage in it, but I can decide between the Morel Hybrid and Focal 165k2. My sail plates have a 28MM tweeter already in it and 6.5 speakers in the door pod. I want to keep the factory look as much as possible. Now here’s where it gets a bit tricky the rear speakers are right behind the seats above the sub. I was thinking of using the Morel TIW 634Ft, but after some research I think I might want JL’s 6w3v2 used for woofer and mid bass complementing the sub. I plan on keeping this thread alive through the process (with pictures) and progress. If anyone has suggestions on the sound stage let me know I haven’t bought any of the speakers yet but I expect to in the next few weeks.
Attachments
350z1 .jpg
350z1 .jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 8772 times
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Old School in 350Z roadster

Post by Bfowler »

I've always been partial to morel or hertz tweeters, but you can really only know if you listen for yourself. you can't really go wrong with either of the brands you listed above. it all comes down to personal taste. keep the pics coming! that should be a challenging but fun install
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Have you heard the Sundown SA subs before? I ask only because this is the first time I think I have ever seen someone looking at Morel and Focal speakers in the front stage and planning to use a Sundown sub. It's an odd marriage.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

No I haven't heard the sundown before. I listen to a wide verity of music. From classic rock to hip hop. And from the specs it looked like a good fit.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I recommend that you take a listen to that sub before ordering it online. It is more of an SPL type of sub, which is fine, but since you are looking at very high end mids and tweets, I get the sense that it wouldn't be the right sound for you. If you believe everything you read about reviews of Sundown subs they'll say they are the best subs ever. A lot of that is people that have never actually heard a great SQ sub and is people talking up their gear. They are loud, and they are very tough subs, but there are a lot of better sounding subs out there. You'll most certainly be taking a downgrade in SQ going from the JL to the Sundown. The sub you have is a solid choice in all honesty, but a lot depends on the type of enclosure you're using too.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

i would agree with Kirghiz on the SA sub. i worked with SA subs in the past and my buddy used to be a dealer, its not a musical sub no matter what the internet bandits say. It however like kirghiz said is a tough sub. they remind me of the FI subs and old RE subs which i think are all designed at one point of time by the same guy. long story short is the morels are a good choice, we sell morel at the shop i presently work at. We did a morel ultimo 12 today in a lower tuned ported enclosure and i must say its a very nice responsive sub. i would try to find a dealer and really take a listen to them. either way i think that there are better options of subwoofers to compliment the choice of mids and highs you are concidering.

But this is your car and i only would tell you to listen to everything before you purchase it to get a "feel" of how it will be in your car.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

I have a dealer close by, I'm going to listen to them before I buy thanks for the heads up brenzbmr@sb and Kirghiz. What I'm looking for is a sub that can handle the rumble of the bass guitar and catch the hit of the bass drums. The Jl seems to be able to do one or the other not both. I have a pair of oz superman 10s in my truck and they perform well but miss just a bit. I've had Many types of subs from super pros to CV strokers. So any suggestions?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Since you're looking at Morel and Focal mids, have you thought about Morel or Focal subs? They're costly, but they are damn accurate. The Morel Ultimo, even though it costs about $800, has been named the best sounding sub two or three years running. The "Ultimo SC" is the little brother of the Ultimo, costs half as much, and is in the 600 watt range you are looking at. That might be an option for you. Image Dynamics IDQ subs are clean sounding also, and belong in that conversation.

If you're wanting to stay in the $200 ballpark, like the Sundown, believe it or not the Phoenix Gold Ti2's are very good sounding sub for that price range.
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

I'm going to a few shops over the weekend to test a few subs out. i hate listening to them at the store because i've never bought a sub that sounded just like the way they sounded in the store. so I'm going to listen to the sundown's and a few more that were suggested. thanks for the input.
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

well i went and heard the Sundown SA10D2, Image Dynamics IDMAXX10V3, and a Morel Ultimo SC 10. WOW!!! you guys are right the Sundown sounded like shit palying Heavy Rock, Not bad on Hip hop. the ID and the Morel stole the show for me. I believe that i'll be going witht the IDMAXX 10V4, that sub sounded so good. Thanks again for steering me the right way. now that i have determined the sub, I have to rethink my box design. i'm still going to use a tube design but i'm thinking of a .250 acrilic sheet for the face and an acrilic tube for the box. i want to go with the chrome basket IDMaxx and be able to show it off. maybe a led light to light it up. not sure at this point. but back to the drawing board!! so this week i'll be ording all of my speakers and getting togeather the materials that i need to start this project. i have a feeling this box just got extreamly complicated. but it will work out in the end.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

LOL I'm glad you had the opportunity to hear some quality subs. Here is a link to my experience with Sundown. It's kinda funny.

http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22914
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I use to install a fair amount of ID and never had a sub come back either with complaints of how it sounded nor of it stopping working. Great all around sub for sure.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

Its been a while since my last post. still collecting parts for the install. so here's what i have so far.
Attachments
new cables fron Knu Koncepts!!
new cables fron Knu Koncepts!!
wires.jpg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
PPI PC2600.2 for now.
PPI PC2600.2 for now.
amp.jpg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
down firing sub box.
down firing sub box.
sub box.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
replaced stock radio.
replaced stock radio.
radio and nav.jpg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
new xs d1200 battery.
new xs d1200 battery.
battery.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
engine compartment a few upgrades. CAI and Silicone hoses.
engine compartment a few upgrades. CAI and Silicone hoses.
engine compartment.jpg (153.83 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
Bipjip

Post by Bipjip »

well today was a good day!! i got my IDMAX10 d2 and 2 sets of zero point 6.5 componets (NOS) i can't believe that i found these on E-Bay. so i decided to go with the PG insted of focal or Morel just because I've allways wantd these speakers ever since i saw them in the 95 catalog. so keeping with the PG install so far i've got 1-PG TI 600, 1-PG TI 475, 2-PG zero Point 6.5 componets, 1-10" IDMAX10 D2, and 1- Alumapro 5frd CAP. all the wires and connectors are from KnuKoncepts. I'm still debating on adding an DSP i've been looking at the RF 360.3, and the Audison bit-one. i've had audio control crossovers and PG eq's. and never really liked them. I was allways messing with them trying to get them perfect but it never was just right for everything that i listen to. so still on the fence for the DSP. picks to follow soon.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I have the audison bit one and jbl ms8.
I prefer the ms8 as it is very simple to setup no need for a computer.
Time alignment and all setting are automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk