New install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
vwdude

Re: New install

Post by vwdude »

Well I've tried a different source, it's an aftermarket OEM style head unit. I still need to try out with a crossover but initial opinion is good.

Even if it's not better sounding at least it is a more modern look with a bigger screen. I am going from 5.5 inches to 7 inches.

A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

The one on the left looks almost identical to what I installed (temporary) in my Blazer, Only visual difference is my volume & tuning rotary knobs are at the top and the screen is an 8". Great value for the money ($ 422. CDN including freight, duty, taxes) and so far sounds and operates better than expected.
Will install it more permanently this winter into the dash. Just now need to brush up on my fiberglassing skills, which currently are non existent. Will mould unit into existing dash.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

So did you get the VW specific head unit? This is the smaller screen version. I liked it better because it's more similar to the original one. It doesn't function like I expected so I'll probably sell it once I get my factory unit fixed. Everything does sound better than before, but that's just because I can turn it up and it doesn't get all funky. It doesn't do the mirroring like I expected and for nav to work I need to have the antenna out somewhere, I can't use my factory antenna. Plus, I lost all AM radio reception and about 1/2 of my fm. Overall it looks great but the lack of quality is obvious compared to my OEM unit.
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Yup, VW specific version with the 8" screen. I just liked the design better than some of the others for my installation & needed the largest screen for my old eyes to be able to see it. I need to mount the unit fairly low so the top mounted volume control was part of the attraction. Haven't really tried much with the NAV yet, and AM is not even a concern, but the FM seems to work OK in my area. Generally I would be listening to CD's or music off a memory stick or similar, and the unit sounds great for now. It is in a hot rodded old Blazer now with lots of rattles, so moving you just play it louder than the engine and rattles, mostly just sounds really sweet when parked.

You can tell it is not up to the QC of some of the more expensive units, but for the price I think they are great value. A buddy who is into the high end audio and has competed in the past, after listening to mine, is ordering one for his Jeep CJ (I think) of all things, and installing it in a custom roof/roll bar enclosure that he can lock up. Should be interesting, especially when he goes off roading.

Will let you know how it goes with this unit as we progress with fixing up the interior and fiberglassed into the dash, and how it sounds with some of the proposed added equipment. I am sure I will be upgrading at some point, but like I said before the price was good and the sound quality is more than acceptable in its present application.

Time will tell !

Brian
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

That's pretty cool. I saw your thread about your blazer, pretty cool beast. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.