New install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
vwdude

New install

Post by vwdude »

I didn't want to make everyone sift through my old install thread for new pictures so I'm making a new thread. I'll let the pictures do the talking...
I made a fiberglass mold of my spare tire well. I then made an amp rack and secured it in with resin.

Amps test fit

Cover with the processor, power distribution, and line driver

Wired

Beauty cover test fit

Beauty cover carpeted

Access panel test fit

Lit up with cold cathode lights

I still need to carpet the access panel and make an amp protector cover. In all likelihood it will not be carpeted but some natural wood color with metal grills.
Last edited by vwdude on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
vwdude

Re: New install

Post by vwdude »

And I swapped my xmax12 for an IDQ12 v3 and I cut out the opening for the sub. I'm still working on the grill.
Old

New

Other system notes, I am using he white ZPA for now while I finish restoring my other black one. Once it's done I will have both black ones installed.

Also, the spare tire will ride along for daily driver use but will come out when I need the trunk space (with kid and all of his accessories).

The line driver made a HUGE difference. I still have hours of tuning ahead of me but it already sounds much better. I have way too much sub with zero gain and line driver at zero gain.
Corty75

Post by Corty75 »

great job... :clap:
6 Trophy´s in 2014 : 8 Trophy´s in 2015: :
EMMA AWARDED in 2014 and 2015

Frank Route´n Stein #0452 with Frank´d Distro ANL and Negative blocks
FAS #64
SOFA #64
Outlaw #1655
Titanium series MKI:
1000.2 x 3
600.2 x 2
500.4 Ti
12" TiD4 subs x 2
Voltage display x 3
POWERED BY PHOENIX GOLD Display
15 Powercore Alumapro
Base cube
Distro 1in 2 out ANL
Distro 1 in 4 out NL[/size]
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Thanks. The final details are taking forever to get to. I have been busy with work, and now that I have music and I am not preparing for a meet I am taking my time. I have been working a little on the subwoofer grill. I keep going back and forth on if I want the sub visible or not.
Corty75

Post by Corty75 »

vwdude wrote:Thanks. The final details are taking forever to get to. I have been busy with work, and now that I have music and I am not preparing for a meet I am taking my time. I have been working a little on the subwoofer grill. I keep going back and forth on if I want the sub visible or not.

visible.. and then make your own custom grill.. a cutsom build vw logo maybe?

Check out mine though, impala logo´s for the sub !

FAS #64
SOFA #64
Outlaw #1655
Titanium series MKI:
1000.2 x 3
600.2 x 2
500.4 Ti
12" TiD4 subs x 2
Voltage display x 3
POWERED BY PHOENIX GOLD Display
15 Powercore Alumapro
Base cube
Distro 1in 2 out ANL
Distro 1 in 4 out NL[/size]
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Corty75 wrote:
vwdude wrote:Thanks. The final details are taking forever to get to. I have been busy with work, and now that I have music and I am not preparing for a meet I am taking my time. I have been working a little on the subwoofer grill. I keep going back and forth on if I want the sub visible or not.

visible.. and then make your own custom grill.. a cutsom build vw logo maybe?

Check out mine though, impala logo´s for the sub !
I saw your install...wow. I'm particularly happy hat the cap didn't burn everything to the ground as you have a beautiful car with a great install.

So I'm still not at a point of deciding how to finish the grill, but I'm very close. Made some progress after picking up a craftsmen plunge router, so e bits, and a jasper circle jig.

I'm using a finger to hold it I. Place but I buried magnets in the wood that will correspond with magnets that I will glue behind the carpeted panel. The bottom is held in by a groove cut in the grill.

Here's the back, cut to fit the shape of the opening. You can see one of the magnets attached to the back (it's stuck to the one that's buried.

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

even with some strong magnets I will be surprised if it doesn't rattle the grill off. I would try to use a dowel rod or two going through to the box in addition to the magnet to help it if its possible
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Once I get it all on I wil see what it does. If it falls off I will work on re-engineering it.

Remember, the magnets are not what's holding it up,it's being held up by a tongue and groove at the bottom, the magnets just keep it up against the panel. I might even try a 3rd magnet pair if the two don't hold it.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Oh crap, I guess I never updated this thread.

I still haven't finished the install but I did make progress after I last updated this thread...

Still deciding what to do for the amp cover. It will be a wooden cover that the VW logo carved out, but will the wood be MDF with a veneer wood over it, solid wood (teak or walnut) or something else...still not sure. Taking suggestions.

Also never got my other black ZPA working right. I did get the matching plexi so now all 3 amps have original PG plexi, but I might just get the white ZPA painted to match the other black ones and leave it in there. I do need to work on the SLD44, the sound keep cutting out on the right and it's distorting when he gains are increased on it. I'm sure if I replace it's caps and upgrade the resistors for 1% ones I'll resolve the issue. I might even try to find ELNA caps for it.
Corty75

Post by Corty75 »

Man it´s nice!! :clap:

Why not make a Phoenix gold logo.. carved in plexi, With LED back light? now THAT could turn some heads!! :drool:

About the sld44, check your ground wire, my pld1 was screaming and failed when high volume was provided in it, and the issue was bad ground/ negative connection!

As we ALL know, bad ground / Negative wirering is the cause of every evil! :naughty:

FAS #64
SOFA #64
Outlaw #1655
Titanium series MKI:
1000.2 x 3
600.2 x 2
500.4 Ti
12" TiD4 subs x 2
Voltage display x 3