Gerty

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
zztunnell

Gerty

Post by zztunnell »

After driving my old C10 'Gerty' around for the past 15 yrs with a $30 pawnshop system. Pyramid tape deck and 2 of those lil speaker pods screwed to the kick panels. I decided to finally upgrade to a better radio. Had to be bluetooth since we now have the hands free law here. The plan was a Retrosound radio (so as not to have to cut the dash) and using the MTX 5 1/4" component set, I've had stored in my closet for years, in the kick panels. This simple plan kinda snowballed into the system I have now. Meet Gerty.
Attachments
Gerty.jpg
Gerty.jpg (142.08 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
zztunnell

Re: Gerty

Post by zztunnell »

When I started taking things apart to install my spiffy new stereo. I ran into a problem under the carpet. The factory used a jute style padding with what looked like a wax coated paper or cardboard layer on top. This had to have caused any moisture that got under it to not be able to evaporate very efficiently. The carpet was dry as well as the paper layer but the under the jute was soaking wet in places. And she hadn't seen the rain or a carwash in at least 3 weeks. So now everything had to be removed. To see how bad the damage was.
Attachments
Gerty floor rust.jpeg
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Once I stripped out the interior I took a drill with a wire wheel to all the surface rust. Scotchbrited everything else. Then put on 2 coats of rust converter. Let it dry then painted it all. I then put sound deadener mat on all surfaces that wouldn't be seen once the interior was back in.
Attachments
Gertyfloorrestore.jpg
Gertyfloorpaint.jpg
Gertysounddeadener.jpg
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Once the sound deadener was in I was left staring at this clean slate that was just begging for a system. I had noticed a few pieces of equipment in the stash room when I had gotten the sound deadener out. After digging through all my stash I grabbed a few pieces and started to formulate a plan. I had plenty of Monster Cable wiring from when I was gathering up equipment for the long gone Cheech S10 blazer. And I found a couple of Vega 10s in one of those old Kenwood full range hatchback boxes from the early 90s. The box of course wouldn't work but the subs would work for what I wanted. I also brought out an old pawn shop truck box with a wore out bazooka 10 and new kicker 10. Under my stack of 17 QX amps I had seen something white. So after I had made a lil room I dug through those and found 2 nice usable ZX amps that I had forgotten about completely. Here was a start to a nice little system and I wouldnt have to rob anything from the stash that I wanted to use in the upcoming G20 van system I've been planning.

Now it was time to see how everything might fit. This took a couple days of moving stuff around and measuring. The pawnshop truck box came in handy to use as a place holder and to help visualize were things might sit. But there was no way it was gonna be big enough at .43cf or sturdy with a 7/16" panel thickness The amps were the hard part. These new school guys are spoiled with all these Class D amps. Lol. Thankfully I didnt have to try to squeeze a Route 66 or MS1000 back there.

Next up. Wiring.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I am not sure how I never saw your first post. Looks like a big change already. Check out second skins luxury liner if your looking for a better replacement for the jute. Better sound reduction and its closed cell so water is not an issue if there is any.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Thanks Scott. This build is already done. But I'll definitely look into it on the Cap'n 'Murica van build.