Phoenix Gold Phorum
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/

The rarest of the rare
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26320
Page 1 of 2

Author:  McFrosty [ Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  The rarest of the rare

So I don't own these anymore but I've always thought it was a cool picture.

An x-station and the two Offroads together in all their glory lol.

PS. Now that I'm old and nostalgic I want them back. Their is a reward for their safe return. PM me if you know their whereabouts.

Attachments:
PG History.jpg
PG History.jpg [ 46.78 KiB | Viewed 2685 times ]

Author:  ttocs [ Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

I believe the x-station and at least one of the off roads is with itchi but I would be surprised if it were not both. One crazy civic on here has been BEGGIN itchi to sell the x-station to use in his crazy civic install but I don't think itchi has ever considered letting it go.

Author:  McFrosty [ Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

Hopefully he has them both. When I sold them they went as a pair to a buyer but I was told one of the power terminals was damaged during shipping. I'm guessing by this point they have been repaired and are kicking ass again.

Originally the fans and LEDs didn't work and I cracked them open to install LEDs and get the fans working. They were huge beasts that barely fit in my trunk but once they were working they had gobs of power.

The x-station was the coolest thing ever. I bought it from a guy who used to live in Portland. He told me he had a friend who stole it from PG as a prototype. I kinda suspected he was the one who stole it. I contacted PG about it asking about parts availability and it took quite a while to convince the people on the other end of the phone that I actually had an x-station in my hands and once they believed me they asked for it back and didn't really want to give up any parts haha. I offered to give it back for the same price I paid for it (not cheap) but they weren't interested in paying anything for it.

I kinda wondered if losing their prototype had anything to do with it never reaching production.

Back in the day.....

I now have the 4 Pro 12s and a several sets of Boston Z6s and a set of Boston Pro 6.53s in my home theater providing sound for my 11.1 setup with 180" projector screen. Still working great after many years.

Attachments:
Boston Pro 12s.jpg
Boston Pro 12s.jpg [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]
PG Install.jpg
PG Install.jpg [ 55.23 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]

Author:  ttocs [ Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

interesting story.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV2ljEZ3ED0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV2ljEZ3ED0

Author:  McFrosty [ Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

I saw that video with a different link and from what I remember I was able to get close too 900 watts out of each ti600.2 RMS before clipping when using a PG line driver. So around 1800RMS per Offroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=SEl0zMDLHV8&feature=emb_logo

The second comment on that video from Matt Barnes says he got them from a VP at PG and then sold them to the current owner but I can say with confidence that there were at least two other owners before they go to where they are now. I bought from from a guy in Waterloo, Ontario and then sold them to the mentioned collector in New York.

Also I can say with some pride and some shame that I installed the red butt connectors you can see in the video for the LEDs lol.

Author:  ttocs [ Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

there is a facebook group that is a little more active and actually has larry frederick and some of the old pg staff on it. You/we might be able to hear more about the theft story on there if your curious.

Author:  itchnertamatoa [ Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

I kinda know where these are ....

Author:  lilviper [ Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

itchnertamatoa wrote:
I kinda know where these are ....
lol in your closet? hahah

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Author:  itchnertamatoa [ Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

kinda ....

Author:  ttocs [ Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

his "closet" stretches out across a couple of oceans from what I understand

Author:  lilviper [ Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

whats an x station?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Author:  ttocs [ Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

It was a prototype cross over that they were making. Not much more info has ever been available about it.

Author:  lilviper [ Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

ttocs wrote:
It was a prototype cross over that they were making. Not much more info has ever been available about it.
no wonder i cant find anything on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Author:  ttocs [ Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

this post actually has more info about its history than anything I ever heard or saw. At one point there was a pic of it released, but then it just disappeared and now I guess we might know why.

Author:  onecrazy95civic [ Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

What would I do to get my hands on the X-Station!!! One thing for sure I would installed it in the civic!!!

Author:  ttocs [ Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

onecrazy95civic wrote:
What would I do to get my hands on the X-Station!!! One thing for sure I would installed it in the civic!!!

how is the rebuild going?

Author:  onecrazy95civic [ Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

ttocs wrote:
onecrazy95civic wrote:
What would I do to get my hands on the X-Station!!! One thing for sure I would installed it in the civic!!!

how is the rebuild going?


Slowly but surely, a lot of new interior redesign and rewiring. Still hope to one day get my hand on the X-Station...will be posting pics soon...been a while...lol

Author:  ttocs [ Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

onecrazy95civic wrote:
ttocs wrote:
onecrazy95civic wrote:
What would I do to get my hands on the X-Station!!! One thing for sure I would installed it in the civic!!!

how is the rebuild going?


Slowly but surely, a lot of new interior redesign and rewiring. Still hope to one day get my hand on the X-Station...will be posting pics soon...been a while...lol

I was thinking it had been a while.

Author:  vwdude [ Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

I had my hands on one x-station (I never owned it, just baby sat it) but it was just a case. I brought it to Steve Mantz to see if he could actually make a working board for it but he didn’t even want to see it when I told him the origins.

I wasn’t aware of an actual working one. I do think I’ve heard that there are at least 2 or 3 x stations floating around but not sure if any even have circuit boards. I want to say that the one I had in my possession had pots and switches glued to the case but it’s been a few years and I don’t recall the details anymore.

Author:  lilviper [ Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

vwdude wrote:
I had my hands on one x-station (I never owned it, just baby sat it) but it was just a case. I brought it to Steve Mantz to see if he could actually make a working board for it but he didn’t even want to see it when I told him the origins.

I wasn’t aware of an actual working one. I do think I’ve heard that there are at least 2 or 3 x stations floating around but not sure if any even have circuit boards. I want to say that the one I had in my possession had pots and switches glued to the case but it’s been a few years and I don’t recall the details anymore.
This is kinda like schematics, why the secrecy? The company is gone, this info has to exist somewhere, lol. why not share it...

There has to be a project manager for the x station, and that person would know for sure how many were made. who designed and built the darned thing?



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Author:  ttocs [ Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

I have never known any company to hand out their schematics to anyone that wanted them no matter if they were still making the gear or not. Authorized repair places maybe but not to any tom, dick or harry that asked. Sure there was a project manager but at that time when the company was being sold and how long ago it was I don't think we will have much luck finding them.

Author:  lilviper [ Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

ttocs wrote:
I have never known any company to hand out their schematics to anyone that wanted them no matter if they were still making the gear or not. Authorized repair places maybe but not to any tom, dick or harry that asked. Sure there was a project manager but at that time when the company was being sold and how long ago it was I don't think we will have much luck finding them.
thats the same arguement i keep running up against from this foum, but others...not so much. sansui, panasonic, alpine, kenwood etc..all have repositories of technical data. pg.. none..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Author:  onecrazy95civic [ Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

lilviper wrote:
ttocs wrote:
I have never known any company to hand out their schematics to anyone that wanted them no matter if they were still making the gear or not. Authorized repair places maybe but not to any tom, dick or harry that asked. Sure there was a project manager but at that time when the company was being sold and how long ago it was I don't think we will have much luck finding them.
thats the same arguement i keep running up against from this foum, but others...not so much. sansui, panasonic, alpine, kenwood etc..all have repositories of technical data. pg.. none..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


I'm trying hard to get my hands on the working one, been for the pass 2-3 years! And with the civic rebuilt it would be the perfect time to install it...just saying... ;)

Author:  McFrosty [ Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

itchnertamatoa wrote:
I kinda know where these are ....



Why you gotta tease a guy like that?

Gotta ask do you have all 3 or just the Offroads?

Author:  itchnertamatoa [ Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The rarest of the rare

technically kinda all 5 ....

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/