food for.... amps

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

food for.... amps

Post by nico boom »

Found a new power-supply to feed the hungry MS2250 that I use in my home-setup.
It's an old one ,weighing 36kg. ,still 100% working, and of the heaviest quality ever made.
This unit has remote-sensing as well, to ensure pure 14.4 volts at the inputs of the amp, no matter the power surge.
Big advantage I think is, these supplies react lightning fast on heavy surges, beeing stable to boost up to 100 amps, at 14.4 volts.
Now I have two of those..and I have a MS1000 waiting for me over with you guys in the U.S...
Mmmmmm.. maybe I'll hook her up to my system when she arrives..
Attachments
DSC01510.JPG
DSC01510.JPG (199.87 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
DSC01514.JPG
DSC01514.JPG (192 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The one you had already looked very nice.

What do you need the MS1000 for if you are getting rid of the peerless? Don't tell me you are going to bridge it to run your towers :shock:
marko

Post by marko »

where in europe can i find such a beast? i'd love a power supply like that :shock:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Hi Nico,

That's a Lambda Nemic power supply <real workhorse of a power supply> thank God your 220 VAC in your part of the world, unlike the US where 120 is the norm. That 220 will allow you to run 100 ampere power supplies in your home just about anywhere. Here we would have to plug that into the washer or stove outlet only :lol: :lol:

You might want to find a service manual on those. There are two guys on e-bay selling those. One in Florida <not worth talking to IMO> and a fella in Michigan <OK people>
The reason being that Lambda likes to house mark their semiconductors with Lambda custom numbers so your guessing about spare parts without a service manual.
I use to use HP Harrison style lab power supplies in my shop (115 Pounds each) and all custom marked inside with Custom HP numbers, and 2 farad of internal capacitors.
You might try adding a couple farad of caps to the outside of your power supplies just for good measure. The car types will work well, and improve performance < Just a FYI my friend>
I didn't always work on car stereo units in my past. I used to get $800.00 each to restore these types of power supplies for valley companies here doing electro-plating with these types of Power Supplies.

Your supply is big enough to Weld steel with <drag rod method that is>:)

If you get the exact same model and type of power supplies there is a way to stack them and combine there outputs to maximize current output, sort of like strapping of class D amps today in car audio. In fact this is where "Strapping " came from as it was the only way to combine these to increase power output to the load back in the day before super power semiconductors. :wink:
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

marko wrote:where in europe can i find such a beast? i'd love a power supply like that :shock:

Try E-bay Marko all day long just look under power supplies, and then DC single output. :) hope this helps they are not rare here in the US and possibly in your part of the world. I use a Lambda Nemic EMS series switching power supply on my bench. It is 2 inches tall and 19 inches wide rack mount like Nico's.
13 volts adjustable at 90 ampere also adjustable. I just added a couple of car caps to the output to smooth the bumps out and wham 90 amps no problem and fan cooled and only 22 pounds weight, and it only cost me like $175.00 US shipped off e-bay the east coast of the US.. just a FYI my friends.

Oh The reason mine is so small and light is the fact it a switcher type power supply. I got tired of lifting those 115 pound monsters long ago and the switchers are way more efficient and have less heat issue. Only two IGBT transistors to worry about also, so simpler to repair also. Good luck Fellas C :)
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

As usual Cecil, you know just about everything about these things as well.
The brand I have is KEPCO.
I already got all the info I need by visiting their website.
They provide manuals, repair info, etc. by pdf. files. Very good service.
I'm surprised to hear you use a switching type of supply; I always thought they could give extra noise when used for audio-equipment.
Anyway, this is indeed a monster to handle, it will be sitting in my cellar, where I won't hear the fans.
Hey Tom! You're right; using the MS1000 on the towers is a bit "overkill", but wouldn't it be nice to watch it while in use, while in use as well? :shock:
I won a eq215x for very little money on german e-bay [mistake from seller], so I'll hook up the MS2125 on the peerless, using the low-pass from the eq, and adding the bass-cube... see what that does to the sub.. :roll:
When that sounds better than the plate-amp; the ms1000 will be put to work here, with both power-supplies feeding it. :wink:
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

My Bad it looks exactly like a Lambda Memic. All of these company's make switchers.
I don't worry about noise as I use extra caps on its output buss bars with bypass. And all the noise must get through the switching power supply of the car amp anyway. So between the filtering and different switch frequency's, and the general power supply rejection ratio's of the everyday common amplifier. Its not a issue anymore.
KEPCO is used just like anybody else's power supply's. I used their switchers on special gold plating equipment I use to service way back when

thanks for correcting my missed ID

A lot of modern home amps use switchers nowadays also. It keeps them lite and economical to transport and operate as the have built in power factor correction in them now. Copper wire just weights too much nowadays and costs too much also :)
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Naming the brand was not ment to correct you in any way Cecil! :D
In fact, I'll use your info well, cause I frequently was offered a VERY heavy switching power-supply as well.
Never dared to buy them, but given the chance, I might change from the ones I have, to the switching- type.
I constructed a special heavy-duty shelve for puttting the ones I have now, on.. they weigh enough, to wreck most common used bookshelves... :lol:
The KEPCO I mentioned above will draw 11 amps out of my 220volts socket, when used at full output, so it says on the backside... :shock:
Doubt that it will ever do in my setup though; have no welding-jobs to do at home.
nico