Where have you been KillerX? - Phoenix Gold ZX950 Hybrid

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
KillerX

Where have you been KillerX? - Phoenix Gold ZX950 Hybrid

Post by KillerX »

Ok I donno if this is where I should post but I guess you can move it wherever after...

Anyhoo Iv been out of the scene for a bit because iv been working on my career and my car.
Recently iv went into my stash of Phoenix gold stuff and started selling stuff that I didnt really need... once the word got out in my town that I was selling my PG stuff (everyone knows I have a crap load of pg stuff) people were coming to my house wanting anything and everything. So I sold 4 of my zx450's (one of which I purchased when I was younger and NEVER used!) a couple of zx500's and stuff...one of my big items was a zx950 I had stashed away. So one day I get a call from this guy in Toronto (3 hours away from me) and he says "Hello you dont know me but a friend of a friend of mine knows you and said you might have rare PG stuff" So me being very cautious say maybe and tell him a bit of what I have which included the zx 950. So he says name a price and ill be there tomorrow to pick it up... well I told him it wasnt for sale and he says "everything is for sale for the right price" Long story short he gives me a CRAZY price picks it up the next day and I never see him or the amp again, but got a ton of money.

So I thought to my self "Well im never gonna find a mint zx950 like that one again so..... what is a zx950 anyway? A zx450 and a zx500 together, which I both have....

And so it began...

Well I had a couple of zx500 and zx450s lying around so I grabbed both and started grinding for the weld.

This is a pic of it welded (did take a pic cuz I thought it woulda messed the camera up

Then the bondo

Brad :)
Last edited by KillerX on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

So aftyer zinc chromate and priming the amp I broght her inside to see how she fit
So heres what the case looks like beside the 2 bottoms

this is what it looks like together

Still not done sanding the edges but I wanna get both pieces lining up correctly before I finalize.

So heres my situation... The inside of my old real zx950 had no middle brace, so if something were to push on the middle of the amp it would be hitting the metal side (in pic 2) which are connected to the heat sink, connected to the board. Im just wondering if I should keep the middle brace to give it more support or go all out and make it a true 950...

pic 1

As you can see no middle brace compared to mine right now

pic 2

Here you can tell the metal side im talking about

Well I better decide quick because tomorrow im welding the rest of the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by KillerX on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

if it doesnt effect the lenth of the total bottom then i would use that to help strengthen teh bottom and by welding them together then its only gonna be stronger..

use them,.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
soth

Post by soth »

X2 !

Looking good so far :) Keep us posted with pics.
Head Unit: Eclipse CD5000
Amp1: Ti 500.4
Amp2: MPS2500
Crossover: Audiocontrol 6xs
High/Mids: ID CD1-E v1 Horns
Midbass: IDQ 6.5 v2
Subs: IDQ 12 v1
EQ: PG EQ215-X
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Nice work, very nice :)
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Wow...sweet job so far.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

You got some talent there.

Speaking of which, how is the Fierrari going?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Nice work on that project!

Another fun variation would be to place the amps side by side, instead of top to top.

The middle brace you speak of is not needed. The shape of the top cover supports the middle near the fans very well. And, if you put all the original parts back in, you will have the two foam gaskets on the steel which push against the fan frames. This provides all the support the ZX950 needs in the middle of it.
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

Thanks for all your responses!

stipud, the Ferrari coming along, Iv waited for some key pieces for about a 2 months. It came from Cali then when they got to me they were built wrong so I had to send them back then they had to fabricate new one and send them out again and I still havnt seen them. But other then that its been ok. I promised my sister it would be done for prom and her prom is next year so its either gonna be done, or gonna be sold ;)

Eric D, He he he... Iv already flated one side of a old zx500 I have, didnt look too bad. Im thinking of putting 2 zx 500's and a zx45 all in one across each other but then again ill post when after I finish this one :)

Anyhoo a bit of a progress report. I took apart the main boards to get to the cases.

So impressed with PGs quality, soldered phoenix gold on the main board woot woot!

So I decided to take the middle slots out but then realized that if I took the middle out it would leave about an 1/8 worth of no metal there... meh ahh well it looks better and now there more air. Tomorrow ill putty, sand and prime the rest.

Well shes coming along.

Last edited by KillerX on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

what about the pwer and speaker inputs for the second board.

it faces inside, and the piece you made doenst have any holes.

i could be mistaken though
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
martinkruit

Post by martinkruit »

I wanted to look at this tread but i'm not able to see any pictures????
Morals

Post by Morals »

that is just cool
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

after seeing that spot there where PG soldered Phoenix Gold to the board reminds me that you/anyone should read the silkscreen's carefully on all mid 90's thru 2003 mobile product when you take apart units.
PG had a designer that would put little messages in all the circuit board printing. IIRC the ti800.1 has "smile when you say damn yankees" on it somewhere, well at least the first run did.
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
SAM77H

Re: Where have you been KillerX? - Phoenix Gold ZX950 Hybrid

Post by SAM77H »

did this get finished? was looking awesome.
Pioneer Avic HD3
Alpine H701
Hybrid Audio L8 L4 L1ProSE
MS275
ZPA 0.3
ZPA 0.5
Phoenix Gold XMax 12 x2
money-b

Post by money-b »

SAM77H wrote:did this get finished? was looking awesome.
^^^^^^ x2
ALPINE CDA-9815,ALPINE CDA-7897
TI 500.4,TI 800.1
2 X JL AUDIO W6V2
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

Great thread ... updates please
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
KillerX

Post by KillerX »

Hello everyone! Long time no talk! Tonz of things have happened in my life since the last time I posted this. I finished the hybrid zx950, put brand new windows on it, and gold plated screws everywhere....and then sold it to a kid in town :( I wish I didnt since I cant find anymore zx950 for the price anymore... :(

Maybe ill find another 450 and 500 and do it all again... I wouldnt mind doing a ti series but I believe it was aluminum and im not that great at aluminum welding.

Anyone have an extra 450 and 500 laying around?

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the AL Ti line was a limited edition thing that from what I understand was done for more humid/costal lying areas so they would not rust otherwise it should be no problem welding the Ti line.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.