And So It Begins... SRT-4 Install

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Yeah the 100.4 would be nice, but then I'd have to use either a 215x or other crossover
because I'm running my RSD comps active and the 100.4 crossover only goes to 400 Hz.
Trust me, it's already crossed my mind.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

What about a Ti600.2 butted up opposite your 500.4... making it look like one amp?? :wink:
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I considered it, but then ran across a X600.1 in box for cheap. Then bought Twisted's Onyx X600.1. I don't mind that they don't match. As long as it sounds good I don't care.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Done!!!!!!!! I finished the install over the weekend and I am stoked on being pumped!

The enclosure turned out better than I thought I was capable of doing, and it
only took me two tries.
Attachments
Here is the SDT voltage display and LPL dash mount I glassed.
Here is the SDT voltage display and LPL dash mount I glassed.
SDT Dash.JPG (85.23 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
And here it is mounted! Looks pretty sexy.
And here it is mounted! Looks pretty sexy.
Enclosure 4.JPG (133.28 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
Enclosure 3.JPG
Enclosure 3.JPG (158.22 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
The second half is glassed into shape. I placed 3 layers of mat and a ton of resin.
The second half is glassed into shape. I placed 3 layers of mat and a ton of resin.
Enclosure 2.JPG (161.56 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
This is the bracket to mount to the trunk along with the cutout for the trunk hinge.
This is the bracket to mount to the trunk along with the cutout for the trunk hinge.
Enclosure 1.JPG (182.25 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Very nice! And you've even got a huge metal brace for the box. Good work!
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

nice work!. i really like all of that. the dash mount looks very subtle and nice.

most importantly...how does it sound?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Right now I haven't done any EQ'ing or time alignment as I want to break in the speakers a little longer.
I've set the EQ to flat and it sounds pretty darn good to me. The bass blends in nicely with the fronts.
The tweeters are a bit harsh in the sail panel but I will just have to tone those down a bit with the EQ.
Also, the RSDc 12 pounds! The $225 worth of sound deadener in the trunk, makes it EXTREMELY quiet.
I can stand outside of the car and barely here it, but inside the car it is unbearable!
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

As many of you know I was involved in a car crash two months ago and to raise a little $$ for the repair costs I sold most of my amps. Well, I bought the Roadster 66 and finally got around to installing it in the car. A little different setup than the X600.1 and Ti500.4 but not much. Main difference is going back to passive vs. active for the RSD comps. I haven't played around with the EQ, TA, and haven't set my linedriver up properly yet but it sounds pretty good. I do think the active setup sounded a little better but that could just be the EQ'ing I have to do yet.

Another thing I plan to do is cut the sealed enclosures for the RSD 6.5 mids so that they are free air instead of sealed. I think the enclosure volume is too small because the midbass sucks and according to everyone's reviews it shouldn't!
Attachments
Same FG sub enclosure, different amp.
Same FG sub enclosure, different amp.
Roadster 66 2.JPG (342.52 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
Now I have some room in the trunk if I wanted to put something back there. I also have an idea in mind to cover the crossovers and wiring.
Now I have some room in the trunk if I wanted to put something back there. I also have an idea in mind to cover the crossovers and wiring.
Roadster 66.JPG (363.8 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Looks great! Love seeing all the installs, great ideas abound here!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yes an overly small enclosure will limit the midbass. Best results would come from a large enclosure or a well deadened door panel.

The midbass on these components is good but not bloated either. IIRC fuzzysnuggleduck's RSD6es in TINY enclosures play flat to 50Hz... but the midbass isn't particularly impactful or anything.

That amp looks MUCH better there. Far more trunk space as well. If you built a trim panel to cover it, and found a grille for your sub, then your trunk would be VERY usable.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Looks very good mang! I esp like the grove you made for the truck lids arm. :clap:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
bogart

Post by bogart »

Looks really good, I like it alot...are you going to eventually go with the all onyx amps? they sure look sweet
bogart

Post by bogart »

opps...didnt see page two :shock: :shock: the roadster looks really nice...it sure is a big amp
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

stipud wrote:Yes an overly small enclosure will limit the midbass. Best results would come from a large enclosure or a well deadened door panel.

The midbass on these components is good but not bloated either. IIRC fuzzysnuggleduck's RSD6es in TINY enclosures play flat to 50Hz... but the midbass isn't particularly impactful or anything.

That amp looks MUCH better there. Far more trunk space as well. If you built a trim panel to cover it, and found a grille for your sub, then your trunk would be VERY usable.
This weekend I drilled a 2.5" hole in each of the midbass enclosures to essentially make them free air. The midbass is noticeably different (better) and the mid-range is really noticeable. I think with the enclosures sealed and too small, the frequencies for the mid-range were boosted quite a bit. After doing some time alignment and EQ-ing it sounds just about like it did before the crash. Going passive vs. active seems to have quieted down the tweeters a little bit but other than that it sounds pretty close to the same. A little more tweaking with the TA and I think I'll have it sounding really good. An added bonus is the absence of fan noise compared to the Ti/Xenon setup I had.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Skully

Re: And So It Begins... SRT-4 Install

Post by Skully »

I love that set-up, especially the Roadster 8)
Roadster 66 #74