Parting shots .. warning .. lots of pics

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Parting shots .. warning .. lots of pics

Post by gkitching »

Here a few PG projects I've done over the years. Figured you guys might enjoy them.

A 350Z that was way nicer then the owner deserved. Turned out it was mommies car and she took the car from him and sold it before making final payments. Still owed me like $1200.00. Found it about 9 months later at a used car dealer. I almost bought it. He had no idea there was like 25k in aftermarket upgrades to it.

Here's an Accord that turned out pretty clean. The guy had a hodgepodge of gear but at least used PG processing. He competed for a short time but managed to win Spring Break for his first show ever.

Here's an EXTREME A4. 2 Ti Elites with 2 T1200.1's strapped to each! This was one of those '10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag' jobs! Things were that tight I couldn't fit the end caps on the Tantrum amps. So I kinda made my own.

Here's a 98 Grand Am that managed to win a few trophies.

Here's a Civic Si that I regret I never managed to get real good pics of before it went away. Still one of my personal favorites.

Here's a Grand Prix that was made famous when his T1200.1 went down in the middle of SQ judging at a big show. The rules gave us a 5 minute 'tear down' to fix the problem. Instantly I sprinted back to the hotel room, got the 'spare' 1200, sprinted back to the show where the judge was laughing at me because I was gone before he could remind me that we couldn't 'replace' anything, only 'fix' what was already in the car. I almost passed out! I literally was white as a ghost and had to lie down. That running shit for a smoker doesn't work! By this point there was a crowd of people around to see what all the hubbub was about. Luckily the judge gave us a break and waited till I came around before starting his 5min stopwatch for the teardown. We managed to pull the 1200 out of line, reconfigure the amp channels and make gain adjustments within the 5mins. A huge roar of applause came from the crowd when the judged waved 'times up' and we actually finished it. Most guys couldn't get to their amp wiring within the 5mins, let alone rewire and make adjustments. He still managed to take 2nd place too.

Speaking of Grand Prix's .. Here's my old car. I competed with this from 98 - 01. Still THE best sounding car I've ever done. '98" IASCA World Finals and beat a PG car in my class built by Jerry D. at PG (should've been an Expert class!..f-ing cheaters) and was awarded the highest SQ scores from the entire show!

Here's a system that out-classes the car .. Dodge Neon. Another one of my favorites that I never got better pics of.

And yet another green Neon .. I was sick of green Neons after this one!

Here's a Sable we did 'stealth' style.

Here's some misc one's that were just simple yet different.

More to come.
Greg Kitching
joyride

Post by joyride »

Man, you did some great work. That is the first time that I have ever seen a bunch of Tantrums together and was pleased with the way they looked (Audi). I also laughed at the fire extinguisher...Was that just precaution for the inevitable fire of the Powergrid? :shock:

Anyway, Its a true shame that the industry has lost such a fine craftsman. We dont see enough of the style of work that you did. Simple, elegant, and not overstated.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou :D

Wonderful pictures and awesome stories to go with them. Dude, your trunk installs are AMAZING!! I wish I had the skills (let alone time) to be even half as good.

Fuck, that A4 must have been responsible for a few earthquakes. :lol:

Funny about the 350Z. It sounds eerily similar to the Celica scammer:
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/gener ... ammer.html
http://www.japworks.com/scammer.html

Aw man, reading this makes me all the more pissed your shop has to close. That's does it! I'm heading down to wall street with some rusty meat hooks. :evil:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

those are great. your installs never fail to amaze me. so whats the plan now?

you should find your way to portland for a weekend and help me finsih my install!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Those pix are fukin awesome!!!!!! Nice work.... Well above anything I've done....ever...

"Parting Pix"????? Are ya not gonna be around here? I hope ya don't leave.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
GX3

Post by GX3 »

Good stuff Greg!!! I just realized where you are. Your just outside of Lancaster, PA? If so do you remember an Orion dealer on Manheim Pike called Autosound owned by Steve don't remember his last name. I think one of his installers (Rick i think) worked for you.
Last edited by GX3 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

What can I say other than.... I suddenly feel soooo humble....
Plus; WOW.... times the number of pics I just saw.
Always having troubles buying a pair of new gloves I guess Greg ??... "right-hand one pairs" are hard to find... :lol:
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

The plan?.... Well I'm gonna sponge off unemployment for now and take advantage of the free time to get my house projects done. All the time I was putting in at the shop kept me from much needed work. I say 'parting shot' because it's unlikely I'll be doing that kinda work anymore except for maybe personal stuff. (Can't wait till my kids are old enough .. their cars are gonna f-ing rock!) Or if I get a chance to make it to Oregon!

And Yes, I remember Stevooooo @ Autosound. Pretty cool cat. His wife was a witch though :lol: We both had installers named Rick but not the same person. The name of the installer he had that was from Town Sound was Matt. Big dude. We called him 'Chewy' haha as in Star War's Chubaca. Autosound went under a couple of years ago. We were partners in the 'Anti- WeeBee' war haha!

Nico .. Not sure I understand that one but thanks!?? :?
Last edited by gkitching on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Kitching
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

Greg,....... ur work, literally brings me to tears, what a standard you created for yourself......, if and when u ever make to central fla, please look me up-Christian
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
bruther

Post by bruther »

Fuck YA
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

Really Fucking Sweet Greg.. I hadnt seen but one or two pic's of your work since now.. and I was amazed then and there is no exception now!!! F-king Great... Setting the standard is no BS... that you did and pleased to say I am apart of the same forum as you!

Makes me so envious, wishing i could do stuff like that, and/or had the time to.. i.e. wished the 12v industry wasnt that way it is now... and I might could be inclined to kinda make a go of it... but nothing I could do would come close I bet... !

Thanks mang for sharing!

QUESTION that picture of the Phoenix Gold spelled out.. is that etched, decal of some sort, or cut out like...??

pls thx
matt
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
GX3

Post by GX3 »

'Anti- WeeBee' war haha!
I remember all that. God that was about 10 years ago for me. I remember them having a POS Chevy hatchback from the 80s with as much Rockford stuff it would hold. Not to be out done Autosound put together a POS Subaru wagon with a ton or Orion gear and the HCCA subs in a metal reinforced box. Even had an Orion Tv in it that went nuts evey time you turned the system on from the magnetic field that was created . I hated having to help Walt push that thing around :? it was so FRACKING heavy.
lashlee

Post by lashlee »

Sweet installs!!! I do have one question though, How well did the big PG logos hold up when the subs play? I've got a set in the closet that I've wanted to use like that but I've always worried about the buzz from them being so flimsy.

And have fun sponging!!! I know I've done it before!!
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Just about everyone mentions 'if they had time'. That's what it's about. I did this 8hrs a day. Quite a few all nighters right before a show too. I would like to see what you guys could turn out if you had the same amount of time to dedicate to it. It's obvious everyone on this forum already has the passion. And there is quite a bit of creativity floating around here!

Matt .. the plexi is 3/8" thick and the logo is etched in the back side. Done by CNC mach. set at like 3/32" deep on a low speed with stnd round cutting bit. I also have pics I'll be posting of a BMW we did with some etching that was a little more extensive. Turned out pretty cool. Works great for edge lighting plexi.

Lashlee .. I agree. they are pretty flimsy. The trick I've found is using good double back tape between the pieces. It keeps them from buzzing and the bond makes them stronger overall. Then bolt the shit out of em! haha I always went overboard on the hardware to mount them. I never had any issues after doing that.

GX3 .. haha 'Tool' = Walt.

And what a pos that WeeBee car was! My favorite part was when they attempted to 'brace' the windshield hhaahha with 2x4's hahaaa!
Greg Kitching
thingy

Post by thingy »

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: speechless man
Kenwood DDX5016DAB
In stock awaiting install ideas
Alpine 7893R
PG Rsd 65cs
2 PG M100
2 12" Xmax
PG Bass Cube Special Edition
PG Xmax 10"
Old School CVIT15.0DVC
PG M50
PG M44
PG M25 Special Edition
PG Xenon 6,5"
PG TiDD10 + Sld44
PG ZX 475TI (Needs check, bought as blown)
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

Greg; I ment you've got what they call here" TWO RIGHT HANDS".
[we say that to people who can make everything they want with their hands; it's a big compliment about your skills]. :D
MINI COOP
Manneken Pis

Post by MINI COOP »

verry nice installs!!! :shock:

the ideas for my car are growing :P 8)
some white pg shit in my thrunk, love it!
shaheen

Post by shaheen »

Hey Greg

Very very sexy man, I lvoe the work , can I fly u to SA to do my car.

hahahaha, would love to have some work like that done, I know my installer can , but he is too into RF now

and you do not get good stuff like the distro blocks and stuff anymore
AKA Shaheenk
maka78

Post by maka78 »

Greg, you down to do one more job? maybe we could talk about my install. Those look really sexy, and if you have time/price is right (as all the rest of us, I'm now broke), I might come down there to Lancaster and take u up on an install. You're about 3 hours away from me, which is not bad at all.
GX3

Post by GX3 »

gkitching wrote: GX3 .. haha 'Tool' = Walt.

And what a pos that WeeBee car was! My favorite part was when they attempted to 'brace' the windshield hhaahha with 2x4's hahaaa!
He always did have that dumbfounded look on his face. :scratch:
You know what he ever ended up doing??
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

No. I haven't heard from/about him since they closed.
Greg Kitching
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i know from working on my audi its soo much "FUN" getting the speaker wires thru those doors! Did you xperience the yellow german glue( under the carpets, u really dont appreciate how well they are built till u tear them apart-
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Dang Greg! I gotta say WOWWW Amazing. Even if I had the time I KNOW I could not do such skilled work...I loved the tantrum cars....miss my tantrum gear a bit. And your Ti installs amazing! Man.....well if you come to Oregon, there's a ton of us that want you to work on our cars!
Or at least... ME! hahah.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

shaheen wrote:Hey Greg

Very very sexy man, I love the work , can I fly u to SA to do my car.
That might not be as far fetched as it seems. I have a family friend that lives outside Cape Town. He's been begging us to come stay with him and now that I got time on my hands I may take him up on it. How close are you to Cape Town?
Greg Kitching
dako

Post by dako »

DAY-UM.

secondly...tantrum! represent. that A4 install is obscene. :shock:
2007 Scion Tc
Kenwood DDX9907XR
JL Audio TwK88
JL Audio HD900/5
Morel Virtus 602
IDQ12 V.4 D2 Sealed