da build....

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

oak is mostly cut and in (I need another 300mm wide piece); the alu is cut but needs minor work.

Next: drill and screw the alu in place, make the outside sections fit properly (hello router with flush trim bit!) and then think about cabling.

Wheels go on tomorrow; looks / sounds like the exhaust is blowing, though, which is kinda good and kinda bad: We'll be in Germany in a few weeks, so I could easily get a decent system, but there's no budget for it. Meh!

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

ohyeah, the feet are on the rack, too, so I could screw it into place now. Will have to hollow out part of the walls (d'oh!) and countersink the bolt, but I already knew that.

Bret
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

how bout some pics instead of an install blog? :)
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

I was rushing to get done. I'll take some real ones tomorrow :D

Bret
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

ttocs wrote:how bout some pics instead of an install blog? :)

Pictures are worth 1,000 words O:)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

so you owe us at least 3-4
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

yep, and you still ain't gonna get 'em. Half the house has been ripped apart in the mean time and my garage has been off-limits for much of the week. As it is, I got in there this evening for an hour (been fighting with overtime, the bank, crappy wheels and lots of other stuff, so this has taken a back seat) and worked out I don't need more wood. That's good. Tomorrow, therefore, I'll try and get some quality time - if it doesn't piss down - and take everything out and clean up for some photos.

As it is, it's looking remarkably like I will have no music in Germany at the beginning of July.. because the block of the garage is complete. Meh. I'll have to see how it works out. The weather might play ball tomorrow, but probably not, and I don't really want to work on the street. Will need to get creative.

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

so, here some piccies:

this is the boot at the moment. The oak on the right I did a couple of years back as practice...

You can see the aluminium strips which will be screwed onto the wood to hold it in place horizontally.

Wood being oiled (this has taken me nearly five hours today, just oiling damned wood...)

and the special bit which I finished last year and is just being oiled now:

It's damned near impossible to get hold of again right now, and this one hasn't cracked or anything else. I'm very impressed. It was in the car all winter, too, without problems. Yay! It's curly birch, before you ask.

Bret
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow that is one hell of a finish!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

it'll look better when it's dried :)

just started the other sections... they're drying as I speak. Will pop down in a minute and repeat, as it needs to be so oiled that the oil stays on the top for half an hour or so. That way, it's so saturated that it looks good, too :)

Bret
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

cool pcs of burled maple but why use ash/oak for the panels?
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

because I can't get enough birch for it, otherwise it would be that. I have problems dealing with veneer, too, or I'd probably do it that way.
And oak is nice and hardwearing for the trunk floor.

Bret
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

to bad i work in a hardwood store
I have birch everywere in my own house
easy for me to get but maybe not for others

my firend did the same thing as you with braz cherry in a low grade so it had allot of white with the red it looked very cool
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

more piccies...

and it's Birch, not Maple ;)

Bret
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is so great lookin wood mang! and it is not often that I compliment someones wood as you know..

Unfortuatly I have never been into the hardwood look when it come to a stereo. I love a good looking wood bed in a show truck but I think it just looks a little out of place personally. Are you going to put anymore inserts in the front to help it blend better?

Just out of curiosity, what does a burled piece like that cost raw? I would not even know where to look let alone how much.

Of course now that I think of it, the best lookin dash I have ever worked on was a range rover with the most BEAUTIFULL dark wood inserts highlighted by chrome so I am confused I guess..
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

It's around €10 / kilo. So around $7 / lb. And it's not very light.

It's fucking difficult to find. I got two large-ish pieces, paid nearly $100 and have used all of them: there are pieces to go on the doors, the screen surround and my stickshift knob are all the same wood. I was trying to do some other stuff, too, but it's not possible.
The dash will be leathered over the summer, hopefully, if I get around to it.
The theme colors are pale gray / baby blue as on the outside / black / brushed alu / oiled birch.
The trunk floor panels: the last one is drying tonight.

Lots of other stuff to sort out, I made a list on the train.
- Fibre optics for the roof to go through my reindeer skin.
- LED Audi rings on the front grill
- new LED inside lights (cree XP-Gs, I think)
- new door panels

Can't remember the rest right now, but there's a *lot*. Nice bit is I have around ten days of 4 hours work / day towards the end of July, and the rest is me time. So I can get on with it. And I don't need a car every day, which will help. Plus I know what I want to do and a lot of the prep is done.

Bret
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Very nice :clap: :clap: :clap:
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

just in case someone thinks I haven't been doing much... well, I have, just it's not all visible as usual.

A-Pillars now have MLV and felt
the felt for the rear side on one side is back in , the other side i will trim tomorrow
The driver housings for the 2" BBs I'm using are sort of done; they're 0.2l paper cups, with the mount for the BBs being the "muff" (I'm not making this up!) of 50mm waste pipe. That's sawn off, smoothed, and then polyurethane glued into place. I've strengthened the outsides with some cardboard and polyurethane glue; the mounting points are M4 bolts and they're also polyurethaned into place. The mounts I glued yesterday, I've glued the cardboard tonight.

Damping, MLV and then some chopped mat / polyester, I think, for the outside.

Yesterday I spent an hour or so strengthening the sub baffle. It now has four aluminium sections (T and U) glued'n'screwed to the back. Boy is it better :)
The rear section of the boot is also (back) in place, that's why I have a band-aid on my thumb. It's cut to fit.

I also got the little monster's doll bed out of the way by painting it twice. Now that's done I have more space again :)

The car's also now had its cambelt and water pump done.

Still to do: a shitload. Main thing is going to be the front doors and I'm waiting on my wife to see if we're going up north this weekend. If so, I will be trying to get them done this weekend, otherwise it will take a while... I may well end up moulding over some foam. The rear sections will also be interesting, since they're quite big. Maybe I'll use some depron there, to keep costs down... I don't know yet.

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

So, we didn't go up north, but it pissed down with such wind I couldn't do anything.

For that, I now have a mount for the left side midbass, the right side midbass will get one tomorrow. Over the weekend (if the weather permits) I will fit the 2.5s and finish the mounts for the midbasses off, so that if I do some soldering, I can have tunes. That's the nice bit about using point sources :)

The sub needs to be finally fitted, too, but I'm not going to worry too much about that until the amps are in. That's the SoW for this weekend: amps and music if possible (which it damned well ought to be...)

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

the other side adapter is now sort of done; the frame is made and the glue is now setting. Tomorrow or Sunday:
- Amp wiring
- adapters in the car and screwed down
- all the drivers in and wired up.

Should be possible.. would be good to get the trunk better, too, so I can make some real headway there while I'm in the UK. Gotta start sorting stuff as I only have a week now before I leave - I go to work Thu am and directly from there after lunch to the terminal.

I've been invited gliding on the trip down and my 17" wheels are sold for a song - but that means I can and will order the 16s on Monday.

Bret
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

FUCK! I can't find my distro! Talk about a pain.... well, I needed to take the garage apart anyway to sort what I'm taking with me on the trip (I have the better part ot two weeks PURE work time available and intend to make the most of it) and when looking yesterday I found a couple of bits that I need anyway :)

Still, I was hoping to have the cabling finished today, but it's now set up and I can see what I have to cut / re-braid, i.e. everything. Will probably get some new braid sent to the UK so I can finish that off there.

Bret
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

this is turning into an install blog, more pics less typing!
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

sorry. I'm concentrating hard on getting the fucker working! :D

Found teh distro... one amp is in, I spent an hour fighting with cables. Another one and it should be pretty much done. So the box can go in tomorrow or Tuesday, wired up.
Need more foam for the fitting of the front door builds.

Pic of the floor:

Next up: finish cabling tomorrow, then get it into the car so the car is usable again. Then sort the enclosures and make sure I have all the tools I need for the next 6 weeks :D

Bret
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you can do magik too eh? I have not figured out what the magik word is but I can make things disappear with in a 4 ft area of myself somehow.......

Never been a big fan of wood floors in the automotive world. To me it just screams for attention in the same way some neons, leds and a fart can scream to ricers.
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

I just put it in a safe place. I simply couldn't remember where the "safe" place was... as a result I have some of the stuff for the trip already sorted, a load of trash has gone out and other stuff is organised more efficiently, so it wasn't wasted time, just I could have used it elsewhere....

And as far as the wood goes; yep, I understand. However, I also don't like carpet and leather isn't OK for this. So wood it is. Let's see what it looks like after this trip (I think I'm bringing a bed back...)

Bret