2 cyclones in a honda civic hatch in the uk

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

WOAH! That would be an install to listen to! :o

I'm EVER so curious to demo a Cyclone sub. Hear WAY too much about them and haven't seen one in Australia as yet. Actually, I know where 1 is, but I can't get to it :P
-1998 Mazda 929 HC Series 1-
[b]Alpine[/b]- CDA-7998R/CHA-S634/
PXA-H700/MRV-1507 x 3/MRV-F407 x 3
[b]Phoenix Gold[/b]- Xmax 12 x 2/ZPM160 x 4
ZPM100 x 2/ZPT25 x 2/Bass CUBE/DD5
gratest1

thanks

Post by gratest1 »

Well I can safely say they are still working after a year of playing. No mad noises. Still doing crazy lows but I would say a 3 cu ft box for 2 is very peaky at 40 - 50hz but it also controls excursion at very low bass. Your see in a wanted post my request for a basscube to tweak the bottom end. Overall there fun and last year at sound offs people just stand there and look confused. One comment was are they fans for my amps!!! In a humbe way I responded "No" there sub woofers. Companies don't push the boundaries like PG did so its just standard subs until someone works with the design. although I doubt it!

I hope the new company takes note! Re invent some old gear people still want it and people will pay as they do for thesis amps etc!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I Have been dreaming of adding one to my mustang, loosin the rear seat and putting it back there if I can fit the box... I recently came across one NIB that is teasing me...... I hate being broke!
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
reallyxxxxxxloud

Cyclone

Post by reallyxxxxxxloud »

I have always loved this install.... Don't know why I just have...
KyferEz

Post by KyferEz »

Where do you guys find the cyclones? I got 1 with a fried VC... Who should I ask about fixing it? I also want another! I'd LOVE to have 2 in my jeep.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Last year there where a lot of clones for sale on ebay. I know that at least 6 of them went to austria :twisted: nico boom did repairs on clones but i think he went out of business due to more important things going on in his life! Other than that u might shoot bogart a PM.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
spiritofnorway

Post by spiritofnorway »

joerg wrote:Last year there where a lot of clones for sale on ebay. I know that at least 6 of them went to austria :twisted: nico boom did repairs on clones but i think he went out of business due to more important things going on in his life! Other than that u might shoot bogart a PM.

Hi guys
Joerg is right
I got 4 and a friend of mine got 2 ...
4 are cleaned and ready for installation at 2 Cyclone is just done cleaning ...
Regards Geri :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
PICT0075 klein.jpg
PICT0075 klein.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
PICT0074 klein.jpg
PICT0074 klein.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
My instalation.
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19833

Buyer & Seller Ratings
http://phoenixphorum.com/spiritofnorway-vt10627.html
gratest1

cleaning

Post by gratest1 »

Nico, I love your posts. Well mine are due for a clean and it has been 2 years since i cleaned them last. You may get lots of dramatical emails. lol. I would like to service the bearings this time as well. May I ask what size/type/code they are. sorry but you may of already posted this information on your clean page. I want to add a basscube and there is one on the bay but no lead or controller. Is there anyone selling DIY ones on here. Many thanks guys in advance.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

they were router bearings weren't they?
davidtemple

Post by davidtemple »

Pure Style love the Install, never got to hear a Cyclone but always wanted to...
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

post a vid of those bad boy's pushing some air!

I got one coming to me, I think one in my xB will sound pretty damn good.
gratest1

Re: 2 cyclones in a honda civic hatch in the uk

Post by gratest1 »

I just want to say there still running well.....
gratest1

Post by gratest1 »

4 years on cyclones still killing it. I am still baffled why they have not been reproduced...
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

gratest1 wrote:4 years on cyclones still killing it. I am still baffled why they have not been reproduced...
Only a few weeks from now and mine will be doing their job in my car. :twisted:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

are you doing the pair or only the one? I mean you might have 7 cubes back there and that would be a crazy low end with both.....
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

ttocs wrote:are you doing the pair or only the one? I mean you might have 7 cubes back there and that would be a crazy low end with both.....
I´ll have two in there. Every clone gets sealed 2cuft with the motor outside the housing.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

joerg wrote:with the motor outside the housing.
Do you find that worse for mechanical noise? That was my only criticism after hearing Cyclones, even after being freshly cleaned.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is an interesting question, it was really the only downfall of the clone hell they made noise new. At low/mid volumes it could be pretty bad but once it was pounding it was obviously harder to hear. Only speaker I know that could have a signal-to-noise ratio attacked to it....
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

stipud wrote:
joerg wrote:with the motor outside the housing.
Do you find that worse for mechanical noise? That was my only criticism after hearing Cyclones, even after being freshly cleaned.
I´m just sitting next to one of the Cyclones while watching "Matrix". It´s powered from a 100 Watt Home Amplifier and i can´t hear any motor noise at all. 8)
gratest1

Post by gratest1 »

Evening all. Just letting you know the cyclones are still hammering it in the same install. No noise and last cleaned 3 years ago... I just wish I could have them running in about 4 to 5 cu ft box as these things would go so much lower... What a missed trick by the industry.. Oh well..
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I know it's several years removed but nice install. I jealous of you for having the space. Maybe some day a manufacturer will come up with a similar type of subwoofer.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have never stopped wondering what modern technology along with the learnings of their failures now could make...
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

agreed .. we need new clones :pray:

add to that bring back the gold and drop the nasty lines and it would go some way to rebuilding PG's status
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
gratest1

Post by gratest1 »

Its been a while since I logged onto the forum. Well I can confidently say I have 2 cyclones still dropping lows with no noise. I last cleaned them 3 years ago. I was thinking of changing the boot and adding more speaker enclosure as I know with the restriction on box space is really restricting the depth these things can give. I knew that was the sacrifice with design. I am still shocked to this day why they have not been reproduced. I saw RF's new woofer offering at CES. And thought production costs could be the problem but clearly not. Its there to be reversed engineered and tweaked, bigger diameter with bigger vanes, more displacement etc. Well good to check back in and love the installs. Perhaps one day I will put 3 ZPA's 0.5's. I doubt it as time moves on...
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

I just got my hands on two cyclones. It's been since the early 90's since I've messed around with car audio. the Cyclones was something that I always wanted and never got. I guess I can't say that now. Any advise on the cyclones that need to know about?