Project 5.0

Have a cool car stereo? Post your install pictures here! No PG? No problem! Competition grade or sub-in-box setups: ALL are welcome!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

i think I measure that it will fit perfectly in the back seat area where I am putting mine. Got kids that use the back seat?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

ttocs wrote:i think I measure that it will fit perfectly in the back seat area where I am putting mine. Got kids that use the back seat?
Yes I do Scott............
If I didn't, I'd probly do a delete like you did. 8)

I'm thinking that the only way is to put it behind the rear seat standing up and I'll have to build a coffin with fans for it........GOTTA KEEP IT SAFE!!!!!
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Re: Project 5.0

Post by Rold Gold »

Well I guess I'll bring this back to life.

I filled and sanded more on the box today and It'll be ready for carpet after alittle more sandpaper love. Just waiting on some material to use for making the template for the floor. Should have that all done tomorrow and might even cut the floor too.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

template material, you mean cardboard?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

It's what is used to template for granite countertops. 1/8" door skin cut into 2.5" widths and my buddy has tons of it at work. I've used cardboard in the past but found this to be better althought alittle more work PLUS I can just keep it for future projects and not have to worry about it getting wet or damaged. I know acouple guys in the area that may need some work done after seeing my finished product.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Alittle sanding.........
Some carpet.................
Mount the woofer................
Then on to the next part of the trunk build which is the floor/amp rack. 8)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

just curious if you have, or are going to match them up for airspace? Get packing peanuts and fill it all the way up. Now transfer the same nuts to the other box and be sure that they have the same airspace. IF they do not, add some bracing or expanda foam inside the bigger box to make it match the smaller box. You can also take them out and then measure the total airspace which is nice to know.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I'm only running 1 woofer on the passenger side........... I just took 3 pix of the enclosure. I was gonna run 2 but that woofer is a beast and should do just fine for me now that I'm out of the SPL stage. Although, if I had another roadster I'd run another sub and bridge the 4chn to run each side of the car. 8)
As it is, I built the enclosure for 1.3 unloaded but haven't actually measrued what it is now that it's built. :oops: But ofcoarse I'd match them for airspace if running multiple drivers.........
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Looks very good. Are you going to smooth out the sub cut-out? Looks a bit rough as it is now.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

looks like there is a couple of ridges that could be filled with some glazing puddy.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I plan to router out the ring abit to accomodate the carpet and surround after I drill and set the t-nutz. Having a tight fit will make it easy to drill the holes without the woofer wanting to move. Who doesn't like a tight fit...... :wink:

As for glazing puddy, I've never used it because I've never painted or glazed an enclosure. The thickness at the corners is is easily 1/4" or better. The face is about 3/4" thick after all the layers of mat and resin filler puddy. I'll bet it's just as heavy as an MDF box of the same size and WAY over built for 1 woofer. Since my plan is to carpet the enclosure, I'll sand some more and call it good cuz little inperfections won't be visable.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

More progress today............

I replaced the mach460 speakers with RSd 6.5's. Mounted the xover inside the enclosure with velcro and put some fatmat in there too.........
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have an eclosure for 4 8s that will fit there too if you are ever interested.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

More progress today........ :clap:
Floor is now cut and ready for carpet along with the box. But for some odd reason, I didn't notice that the piece of mdf I used is slightly bowed so I'm gonna try to fix that or I'll have to cut a new one. :roll:

But more time was spent working on RedAss' rex. Ran rca's and found a home for the TLD. Now we have to template the floor and amp rack so we have a better idea where fuse blocks and amps will go.

I'll take pix tomorrow............
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Start of the amp rack or "peep show" as I like to call it.......

Teknikal-
I flipped the fans on the board over tonight. I know they don't like heat but I don't plan to have that problem with 5 fans total moving things around.

Idea list-
I'm thinking bent plexi top might be in order........ If the budget is reasonable ofcoarse...... It's not a huge piece eiter..... We'll say 25" long by 19" wide and bent downward at a 60* @ 16" for better display.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I know that the Xenon's don't have the gold plated boards of the MS series, but I sitll like how they look without their clothes on. :) Looking good so far Roldy.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

More progress today......

Finished sound deadening the trunk (less the lid) and skinned the box and all the panels. Just waiting for the 3 coats of bedliner to dry so I can put the pieces back in.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Pictures of the progress 7/29&30/2011-

Trunk deadening-

Trunk Layout-

Woofer-

Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Looks like I'll be making a new build thread after I completley finish..........
Lots of yackin but not a good read.......

But that'll come later........

I have to say that I really have been putting more thought into this build than any of my previous ones........ I know it's not show quality but it's definitely my style......
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Passenger door done!!!!!!!!
Wired, speakered and put back together. 8)

Driver side next and then place the TLD where the mach tweeter amp was located.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Deadening is a massive pain in the ass, isn't it? Box is looking great, keep it up dood!
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

MEGA pima!!!!!!!!!!!!! But worth it none the less.

Buttoned up the doors tonight. 8) :clap: :clap: 8)
Just glad I spent the money and got new window motors.

Didn't get the TLD in like I wanted. Have to cut a plate to mount it inplace of the mach amp.

*BONUS*
I figured out how to easily get switched power to the trunk for lighting and acc purpose..... 2 of the mach amps were in the trunk and the main remote lead is in the harness up front so I can tap into the 2 plugs in the trunk to run lights / turn on amps and the front amp plug powers the TLD......... :scratch: :thumbs:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that mach amp is mounted to a plate I thought that it could be removed from?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Rold Gold wrote:*BONUS*
I figured out how to easily get switched power to the trunk for lighting and acc purpose..... 2 of the mach amps were in the trunk and the main remote lead is in the harness up front so I can tap into the 2 plugs in the trunk to run lights / turn on amps and the front amp plug powers the TLD......... :scratch: :thumbs:
Run new wires rather than hacking up stock harnesses, you silly goose...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Who says I'm hacking up the harness Tom.........I'm better than that...... :lol: I don't have to cut even 1 wire. :wink: But I do see what yer saying and I'd like to keep grounds common for loop reasons.

Scott-
The plate does come off the amp but how I plan to position the TLD in there the plate isn't wide enough and I'd only get 2 mount points. A small hunk of aluminum will give me the support I want. No big deal..........