Some Vista WGA and authenticity Q's

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Some Vista WGA and authenticity Q's

Post by Jacampb2 »

I am going to start a new PC for my office desktop and am thinking of going with Vista 64 bit. All of my Microsoft products are legit. I have Office '07, FrontPage and Win XP home on the machine as my only MS stuff. A year or so ago I declined to install the WGA component. I had heard horror stories of people having problems with it, and that it's checks went beyond only MS software.

From what I understand, with Vista you don't have a choice in the matter, it is already part of the OS. From google research, it seems that it honestly only checks MS software, not other manufacturers. I am just wondering if this is correct-- I don't want to drop the money on Vista 64 and find that it is not going to work for me.

So, can anyone enlighten me on what MS will be monitoring on my machine if I buy Vista?

Also, anyone know where to find Vista 64 for the best price. I am happy to buy even the OEM version. Is there any reason to spring for the "Black" edition?

Thanks,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

why Vista 64? it's a shit as far as support is concerned...every single kernel-level driver MUST be digitally signed. TBH, I'd go for XP32bit right now and upgrade to 7 at the end of (this) year. But why MS, anyway? Anything wrong with Ubuntu or SuSE? or even Mac?

I'm simply asking :)

Bret
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I don't mind Vista at all... in fact I probably like it more than XP, as long as the computer is good enough for it. However, even though you CAN run 64 bit, you probably shouldn't.

I decided to run it at home so I could utilize my full 4gb ram (instead of the 3.5 or so that 32 bit maxes out on). However, I quickly realized that the negatives easily outweighed the positives. There's still a major lack of quality drivers, and bugs in them get fixed much slower. There's even a lot of regular software that isn't supported in 64-bit, for example the Cisco VPN client. Surprisingly it's mostly business software that isn't supported... and you would think 64 bit was geared for business? Even with 64 bit, most software won't notice any speed improvements at all over 32 bit vista.

The big one for me is that any 16-bit applications will no longer run. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize that quite a few installers are 16 bit. Like my Saab workshop software, older, rarer programs, and a lot of stuff for my work. Microsoft's answer is to get the manufacturer to make a 32 bit installer for it :roll:

So unless you absolutely positively need more than 4gb of ram, I would stick with 32 bit Vista. I think MS did a poor job at making the 64 bit version consumer-ready. But if you need the RAM... check all of your software to see if it's compatible with 64-bit Vista specifically. Also check all of your peripherals to make sure they will have drivers as well.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

I agree with Stipud here. 64bit is not a good option right now. Manufacturers have not caught on.
I do like Vista better than XP as well. But I would also suggest waiting for 7....as an option. But, in doing so, we have no clue as to the stabilioty and problems that 7 may have opposed to any other OS currently.
Other than playing with the Beta. So if you have a spare drive or spare time or both....maybe playing with a beta copy of 7 to see if it is something your software can pipe over to easily...(most if not all your MS products will).

As far as WGA goes...I've been in the industry repairing comps with such problems (IE: windows licenses not passing WGA etc).
And it's usually due to stupid reasons..and have been easily fixed IMO.
(at worst case scenario, I had to do a parallel install and reactivate piping the data over and reinstall programs...)
But most of the time it's just reactivation. Most people dont know how to activate....simply because they are running preactivated OS', or you activate once...and never have to do it again....so when an issue arises they just don't know what is going on.
And as far as I know WGA does not touch anything else on your system except MS products.

Most of my software is not legit except for the OS....my office 2007, 2003, xp etcetcetc....are not.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I run vista 64 home premium I also have 8 gigs of ram too.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Well, I really would like to build a system with at least 8gb of ram. The main reason being the 3d modeling and CAM software. 2gb in the office box right now, AMD Athalon 2800, Middle of the line ATI Radeon graphics card (can't recall off hand which model), and a IDE HD and it is beginning to crawl. CAD and modeling software is still usable, but could use some improvement.

The new box will probably be AMD PhenomII 940 or 945, hopefully I will be able to re-use the graphics card as it is only about 6 months old, I intend to switch to SATA drives, which in my experience has been an excellent performance boost in itself (put a sata HD in the shop box, same processor and ram as the office box and it is noticeably faster). I guess I could build the system with 4gb of ram right now, and use XP for a while longer while awaiting Win7... My other option is to dual boot the machine if any software poses a problem in 64 bit windows, not the best solution, but it does work...

Is it worthwhile to switch to vista 32, or am I just pissing money down the drain since XP has been fairly solid for me...

Thanks for the opinions.

Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I run vista 64 at home, no real issues. The only bug I have run into is the signed driver problem mentioned earlier.

If you're wanting more RAM you will need a 64 bit box. Keep in mind if you go to Vista 64 you may run into some incompatible items you might use currently on XP, I personally see no reason to fear vista, but I see no reason to upgrade from XP to Vista 32 in your case.

Win7 will be out in a few months and seems to have great vendor support already, if your making a move I would suggest waiting a few months if you can.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.