Anyone running Win7 yet?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Anyone running Win7 yet?

Post by Jacampb2 »

I DL'ed it this morning. My components for the new PC should be showing up here tomorrow. I figured, rather than buy Vista 64bit, I would run the RC copy of Win7 until the retail version comes out.

BTW, if any of you didn't know, Microsoft is allowing anyone to DL the RC of Win7 and a free license valid until early June 2010. From what I hear, they will quit handing out product keys for the RC early next month, so if you want to even mess with it, you should DL it now.

My new PC ended up being AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0Ghz quad core, Geforce 9500 w/ 1Gb of video ram, 1Tb sata HD, and 8Gb of ram. Hopefully I will notice a performance increase...

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

using it currently, everything seems great.. been using it a few weeks one the media center pc, and now just a few days on my regular pc. Havent come across any drawbacks yet..

using 32bit version, though.
I'm afraid of widths.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I run a network with 5 Vista systems that have been running continuously for over a year now. There have been the odd reset now and again, but less that once a month. So far the only problem that I've come across as an actual problem and not just user error is the copy and extract features. They are sloooooooooow
Boomshackalacka
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I never saw ANY benefit to running Vista over my current XP Pro. So I never bothered. I did finally install it on the laptop just to see what it was about, and it sucks...its painfully slow on that machine....XP flies right along. It was just too resource intensive. 7 is supposed to be much better in that regard. But for what I use a PC for, I still will probably not adopt early, if at all.

My next new machine will be a Mac likely. :)
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Blah, blah, blah, I don't want to hear about macs... :D

I am going with 8gb of ram, so I have to have a 64 bit os. XP 64 bit was almost never supported, Vista 64 has reasonable support, but w/ win 7 around the corner, I couldn't see dropping the coin on Vista, if the release candidate of win 7 is functional, it should hold me over until the retail version hits the streets.

Anyhow, this thread was not supposed to be about why I am going to try it, I just wanted to know if any of you were using it and how you liked it. So far, it looks like Rlockwood is the only one. FWIW, XP has been good to me, but the world is moving on. I like some of the candy that Vista has to offer, and in all honesty, it moves along pretty good on a machine that was built with it in mind. My wife's new lappy has Vista 64 on it and it flys. I think a lot of it just comes down to hardware. I wouldn't think of putting Vista, or win 7 on my old 1.8gHz laptop w/ 40gb hard drive and 1gb of ram, I know if would be a POS...

Later,
Jason
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

What does RC mean ?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Release Candidate
Boomshackalacka
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Ah ! Now would this be less buggy than say a beta relase (as in would it be ok for everyday use ) ?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

RC means it's closer to release ready than a beta is. It's a candidate for the final release version!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

... which is why I should get an installation of this on this machine next week. Unfortunately, we're going pure 64bit, which means a new box. Which I don't want. Meh.

Bret
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

I'm back, new box is up and running, and it fuckin' flys. So far Win7 is being solid.

No autorun installers for my hardware have been happy with it. They all flag it as an unsupported OS. So far I have been able to manually install Vista 64 drivers for everything manually, and it is runing w/o a hitch.

If you are going to DL a copy, I suggest you do it soon. MS website says that they will be handing out keys at least through June 1st 2009, but it gives the distinct impression that after that, you won't be able to get one, you will have to wait for retail.

The DL is a 3.5gb .iso for the 64 bit version, they generate a key on the web and you print it out. I DL'ed the OS 2 days ago, just so I wouldn't forget if my hardware did not come in before the 1st.

Later,
Jason
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Anyone have comments on the interface refinements (read: changes) they made? Something about the Vista UI I didn't like too much but meh, things change, I'll get over it.

This ain't no good reason but I still prefer to admin XP simply because I'm familiar with it. I fumble more on Vista and I would presume with Win 7 as certain UI elements are different.

I still don't like troubleshooting Windows boxes. I feel like I don't have enough information at my fingertips without downloading a zillion little utilities to gather it all.

tail -f /var/log/messages FTW!
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

I don't use Vista much, but to me, this looks just and feels a lot like Vista. I think most of the refinements have been behind the UI. For instance, it automatically set up my home network, properly, where getting the new Vista laptop to connect to the network was like pulling teeth. There are some gagety user interface changes-- i.e. grab a window at the top and shake it with the mouse, and it auto minimizes all other windows... An auto-show desktop hot spot in the lower right corner. Auto-resolves compatibility issues, it goes as far as to report itself as a different OS if an installer fails to complete. This in and of itself has been nice, for instance, my HP printers both bitched that it was an unsupported OS and closed, win7 asked if I would like to run the installer with the recommended compatibility mode, and bingo it went fine.

It no longer flags you with little pop ups in the lower right corner, it has a message center down there that lets you resolve detected issues at your leisure unless they are critical. All in all, I am liking it so far. I have run across three things that wont install or run. My logitech Harmony remote software is incompatible, My old serial Wacom tablet will not work, and my ATI Remote WonderII will not work, all of which suck, but I will look for a different remote, and the harmony thing will likely be fixed soon. There is probably no hope for the wacom tablet, the world has moved on from serial devices...

Later,
Jason
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

You could try to look into USB to serial converter cables. Read about it first though as many of these cables/converters are really half-assed and only work in some situations.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Wacom specifically warns against trying to use a USB/Serial adapter. "Unexpected results may follow". The 32bit drivers still support the serial tablet, but not the 64bit. It doesn't really matter, I have 4 other computers I can use it with.

I am more worried about my brand new logitech harmony remote-- that has to be programmed by the PC, so, if my home theater setup changes at all in the near future, I am SOL on resetting the remote. I guess, I can install that software on a XP box around here, just a minor PITA.

Later,
Jason
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Well, that was short lived. I am back to XP now, found a 64 bit torrent and went with it. I really like win 7, but, Thursday I hit a big snag.

I had installed my CAM software for designing parts for the CNC mill as one of the first programs in Win7. I tested it at least twice that night and it worked fine. I installed all of my other software over the next few days. Used the computer for a week or so with no issues. This past thursday, I fired up the cam software, and all of the 2d design stuff worked, but it would not do any of the 3d simulations. It would just not display in the "3d" window. No abnormal processor usage, the software did not hang, I could still switch it back to 2d and edit/save/draw. I tried several different things, but I could not find what I did that caused the incompatibility.

In the end, I said screw it. The main reason for this upgrade was to get the CAD/CAM software running faster, I could have dual booted, but there was not enough in Win7 to make me want to DB it. In the end, XP x64 actually runs quite a bit faster, and is so far running my software.

I will still probably go with Win7 when the retail version comes out. Hopefully the odd software issues will be resolved.

Later,
Jason
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

Jacampb2 wrote:Well, that was short lived. I am back to XP now, found a 64 bit torrent and went with it. I really like win 7, but, Thursday I hit a big snag.

I had installed my CAM software for designing parts for the CNC mill as one of the first programs in Win7. I tested it at least twice that night and it worked fine. I installed all of my other software over the next few days. Used the computer for a week or so with no issues. This past thursday, I fired up the cam software, and all of the 2d design stuff worked, but it would not do any of the 3d simulations. It would just not display in the "3d" window. No abnormal processor usage, the software did not hang, I could still switch it back to 2d and edit/save/draw. I tried several different things, but I could not find what I did that caused the incompatibility.

In the end, I said screw it. The main reason for this upgrade was to get the CAD/CAM software running faster, I could have dual booted, but there was not enough in Win7 to make me want to DB it. In the end, XP x64 actually runs quite a bit faster, and is so far running my software.

I will still probably go with Win7 when the retail version comes out. Hopefully the odd software issues will be resolved.

Later,
Jason
did you try using the winxp compatability mode?
I'm afraid of widths.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Yes, I tried several different compatibility options, I suspect it was some driver or auto update that did it. I tried rolling back all my drivers to where I started, and that did not work. Short of uninstalling every piece of software and hardware, I wasn't going to be able to track it down. Especially since the software did not hang or generate and faults. It just simply would not render any 3d.

Later,
Jason
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

win7 now on the work laptop here.... not bad. Faster than Vista, too, though that's not difficult :lol:

Bret
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

the biggest advancements in win7 are, atleast imo, the taskbar, the addition of 'libraries' that work WAY better than the 'my' folder of past, especially vista's, and media sharing.

Its amazing how well these things come together.. the ONLY issue I have to date is with wmp12. It seems VERY sluggish when picking up new music, where as wmp11 always instantly found new stuff in my watched folders. There also seems to be no way to force a refresh of music, so I wind up having to wait close to a day before newly added music is located. It could be a result of my large music library (~22gb) but I dont think its large enough to be out of the norm these days..
I'm afraid of widths.
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

:lol: ...it sounds like its turning into osx a little more everyday. i havent run win7 yet (nothing to install it on at the moment) but i do run vista in bootcamp to run speaker box programs and it just updated to service pac2 last night, wonder what they fixed? since sevice pac1 ive been happy with it for what i do, its deff a resource hog though. how does the battery life on win7 compare with vista?
dry with match
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

will tell you when I know :)

Right now i'm missing my openTTD installation and just got connected to WLAN, so it's still playtime.

USB Soundcard needed a driver, though, which is a huge minus. Might have to get a couple of those DIY USB DACs....

Bret
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I know it's late and how I missed this in the first place???? I'm Dling it right now, but before I install it what's the issue/s I would have if I can't get said key? I don't want to DL this and install it only to find out I'm screwed out of using my computer.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

smgreen20 wrote:I know it's late and how I missed this in the first place???? I'm Dling it right now, but before I install it what's the issue/s I would have if I can't get said key? I don't want to DL this and install it only to find out I'm screwed out of using my computer.
Then don't install it... It's a stripped out beta operating system, not intended for average consumer use. If you're feeling nerdy and want to test it out, by all means... but don't use it if you're not willing to deal with problems that will undoubtedly arise.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

When I DLed it, the windows page generated a key for me on the spot that I was to print out before installing. If I remember correctly, it generated the key before the download...

Technically it is still beta, but for a pre-release OS it was rock solid. I have beta tested some niche software in the past, and in every case it was quite evident that it was still in development. The Win7 RC didn't have that feel to me. My assumption is that they want a broad test group to help identify software incompatibilities.

Later,
Jason