Outdoor music....stay tuned (Exile content)

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Audiophiliac

Outdoor music....stay tuned (Exile content)

Post by Audiophiliac »

Ever since I bought my house this march, I have been trying to decide what to wire up for some music around the house. I will keep it pretty basic for the most part...some background music in the bathroom and bedrooms, something stand alone in the garage, and then there is the back patio/yard.

Since I install these kinds of things for other people on a daily basis, I know what is out there and how things sound. And honestly, not very many of the outdoor speakers I install would cut it for me. So I started to brainstorm a little and came up with an idea that I think will turn out to be pretty awesome.

Exile XM7 boat tower speakers! http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/?page=features

These are sweet! And from what I have gathered from reading up on their site and chatting a bit with Morgan, they will suit my needs perfectly. They have a 7" woofer and a horn loaded compression tweeter. Super efficient, and will play LOUD! They also have a smooth FR over a great range.....so they should sound pretty much the same from 10' away to 70 or 80'.....my yard is tiny, so the distance should not be a problem.

They also have a really slick quick disconnect system that will allow me to easily pull them down when not in use and throw them up when I need them. Similar to the way B&W builds some of their wall mount brackets....wire attaches to the bracket, and speaker attaches to bracket, so wires do now directly attach to the speaker....ingenious. :)

My other plan is to add a big vented sub or possibly some kind of tapped horn enclosure...something I can throw a big sub into and have it keep up with the XM7s....I thought about using an Exile Big18....we will see. :)

I have not decided on amps yet, but being that the XM7 are so efficient, I figure 60-100W would be plenty. Maybe some Ashly or Crown studio/Pro amps.....

Not sure what my time frame will be on this project. I can wire it up any day of the week, but sitting in the dirt and weeds listening to music does not sound too fun. I need to pour some concrete and get some chairs first. :) I will post photos as it progresses.
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

keep in mind, those things are fucking huge. like redonkulously huge.
I'm afraid of widths.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

No bigger than any other outdoor speaker in all practicality. 9.5 x 9 x 10.25 is not so redonkulous. :)
rlockwood

Post by rlockwood »

I dunno man, they seemed big as hell when I drunkenly held them..
I'm afraid of widths.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

pop quiz....guess who designed those :)

they should be awesome!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Oohhhh your neighbors are gonna loooove you :kiss:

Man, Exile seems to be doing great lately. I am really thrilled by their product diversity.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

A few years ago I wanted to be able to listen to music outside from time to time. I ended up finding some nice wireless outdoor speakers that I found super easy to hook up to my pc and play all my mp3's. It was nice as I could just pick them up and carry them to where ever I wanted them. I had a couple of screws so I could hang them conviniently around the hot tub and work areas when I needed them and they had a slim remote for the volume.
OldSchoolFool

Post by OldSchoolFool »

"pop quiz....guess who designed those"

Um, the same guy who already voiced all your favorite car speakers and 3 whole lines of outdoor speakers for a company you all know?