Amplifier Question

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
ZX450

Amplifier Question

Post by ZX450 »

I just picked up a NAD 3150 integrated amp for my room its from the 80's and sounds very good and clean. My question is the amp has a mono button, infrasonic button and an EQ 55hz button. Does anyone know what these buttons might do? And could elaborate on them?

Thanks
Clay
Attachments
nad_3150.jpg
nad_3150.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

sounds like they are crossover controls.

i would guess the mono button is for bridging the channels. the eq55 button is a LP crossover (at 55hz) and the infrasonic is a "subsonic" filter that cuts out VERY low bass that the sub isn't meant to play
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I would bet that the mono button simply sums the inputs. So instead of playing stereo, it plays in mono. Could be useful in some situations other than in a listening room (i.e, sound reinforcement or commercial audio distribution).

The 55Hz EQ button is likely a bass boost with a corner freq. of 55Hz. Should be pretty easy to hear the difference with it on vs. off.

Infrasonic is just as Bfowler explained. It cuts off the extremely low frequencies...likely in the 25Hz range. This allows the amp a bit more headroom on the rest of the frequency range since it does not have to work to try and create those low notes. Also known as a subsonic filter.

I am sure you can dig up a manual on the net somewhere.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

http://nadelectronics.com/product-info# ... Amplifiers

They do not have one specifically for the 3150, but the 3155 should be pretty close. It shows the infrasonic filter is lower....15Hz 12db/oct.

They also list the bass boost as +3db @ 70Hz and +6dB @ 32Hz. This might be not accurate for the 3150, but I imagine it is the same.

Hope that helps a little. I find it RIDICULOUS that websites are actually SELLING owners manuals that should be FREEEEEEE!!!!! I suppose it is the fault of the manufacturers that do not keep archives. Some are really good at it (PG for one). I would NEVER pay up to $20 for a owners manual. Assanine.
ZX450

Post by ZX450 »

Ok sounds good i thought around the ballpark. This will help my subwoofer output too. I do wonder what the best way to set up a subwoofer with this amp is? i have a passive crossed over 12 inch sub