Good bang for the buck floorstanding, or bookshelf speakers?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow $700 for the full set? Where was this sale when I was buying my speakers. Damn! :lol:
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Yea, it's a helluva deal....and the packaging is amazing.... double boxed, formed foam pieces around the speakers, and each speaker is engulfed in a soft cotton bag.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

[quote="Thumper88"]Yea, it's a helluva deal....and the packaging is amazing.... double boxed, formed foam pieces around the speakers, and each speaker is engulfed in a soft cotton bag.[/quote]

I decided im going to get the whole set... How do you like the towers? Hows the midbass, and ect?
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I have an old klh home powered sub. The sub i know does not work, so I took it out some years back, but the amp however the the enclosure still work as far as I know.
The enclosure has polyfill in it, and it comes out to .8 cubes sealed.

I was going to get a heavy duty 8 to go in here. Here are some pictures

Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Im still waiting to hear from hlh on the rms on this sub, but it says 120 watts. Still have to find out if its rms or peak, and have to find out the impedence. At any rate, this could be my sub, and I could sand it, and paint it cherry to match the speakers...

Maybe a w7 8, or some other high excursion sub. Stay tuned 8)
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Well I demoed the martin logan prefaces at the best buy magnola section, and fell in love.. So that is what I am now going with for the front stage..

Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Nice choice with the Logans. I have always enjoyed the sounds that come out of their 'stats. And Their ATF stuff sounds very good too.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Before I make the decision, I wanted to see what everyone knows about the rocket line on the av123 website. The higher end one with the for 5.25s is priced right around the price of the martin logans, and the lower end rocket line is priced a little cheaper than the logans. The wood finish looks very nice on these aswell.

Any thoughts, is the highend rocket line a better speaker than the martin logan preface?

link

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=sh ... &Itemid=37
joyride

Post by joyride »

I havent heard the 850's, but they 750's were very nice. You would think that with only 5.25" they would play very low, but I was surprised. I think the biggest difference you will notice is in the highs. The logans seemed kinda harsh up top, almost tinny. The Rockets were very smooth. I can only compare it to the difference between a hard and soft dome tweeter. I personally would go with the rockets. And I must say the wood they use on them is spectacular!
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

joyride wrote:I havent heard the 850's, but they 750's were very nice. You would think that with only 5.25" they would play very low, but I was surprised. I think the biggest difference you will notice is in the highs. The logans seemed kinda harsh up top, almost tinny. The Rockets were very smooth. I can only compare it to the difference between a hard and soft dome tweeter. I personally would go with the rockets. And I must say the wood they use on them is spectacular!
You have heard the logans? Would you even go as far as to getting the rocket 450s over the logans? The 450s are $300 cheaper than the logans, but im guessing not as good.

Also if you know of other brand new floorstanding highend speakers that are as good or better send a link of where to buy.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Update!!

I finally got all my stuff. My friends no longer work at best buy, so I couldnt get the logans. Anyways I ended up getting the monitor audio br2s in black. They are bookshelfs, and do they slam!! They easily drop down into the 40s. I have them highpassed at 50 hertz, and they love it. As for my amp, I got the pioneer vsx 819.

I was against bookshelfs, until I saw what they could really do, not to mention for the same price range, you can easily get a better sounding set of bookshelfs for the price as floorstanding. Anyways I am pleased with my monitors.

I will post pictures soon. The build quality on these are fantastic. They have a large soundstage, and one would also think a sub is running when these are on. I got them local at a shop, and after being blown away from the tiny br1s, I knew the br2s would be a nice choice.

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products ... ur-speaker
Last edited by Mackenzie on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Nice. I almost bought a set of the older Monitor Audio Silver 5i. The C-CAM mid drivers they make are very nice. Solid tight midbass and they do go low. I demo'd a set here locally and the guys who ran the shop listened when I played "One" by Metallica on these little floorstanders and their jaws dropped when the kick drum came in during the intro.

The only thing that steered me towards the Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 was the tweeter. Although the MA tweeter was nice, the Paradigm tweeter was better. Smoother and easier to listen too. Less fatiguing.

I keep trying to find a deal on a used set because I would love to have them for a secondary system or even in the garage! :)

Congrats!
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

We bought a 2006 camper that was a repo and inside was a pair of Omage 130 watt rms towers. Not the greatest brand but they sound really good and they were free. Perfect for my bedroom.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Audiophiliac wrote:Nice. I almost bought a set of the older Monitor Audio Silver 5i. The C-CAM mid drivers they make are very nice. Solid tight midbass and they do go low. I demo'd a set here locally and the guys who ran the shop listened when I played "One" by Metallica on these little floorstanders and their jaws dropped when the kick drum came in during the intro.

The only thing that steered me towards the Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 was the tweeter. Although the MA tweeter was nice, the Paradigm tweeter was better. Smoother and easier to listen too. Less fatiguing.

I keep trying to find a deal on a used set because I would love to have them for a secondary system or even in the garage! :)

Congrats!
Im not sure how the older silver line was, but the br2s havent been fatiguing to my ears at all. I wanted some bookshelfs that would also play well without subs. Nothing local could match the br2s in that category, except the revel m12s I heard. They were more expensive though, and didnt go as low.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

This is the temp setup until my stands come, then i will put it with my new tv.