Home theatre amp

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
BigDaddy

Home theatre amp

Post by BigDaddy »

Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up an amp to start off my home theatre. The problem is I don't know much about them. This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... p%5FYamaha#

please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jason
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Well I am no expert, there are a lot of guys here with more experience than myself with HT. I have a Yamaha HTR-5940 6.1 unit running an Infinity set and I think it sounds great. Its been dependable and has never shut down even when I spent a weekend doing a Band of Brothers marathon with the sound cranked almost 12 hours straight. There's my .02$ worth anyway.
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

I went for the new Onkyo TX-NR807EB... Cool as hell... And a nice price, too...
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
kg1961
Got wood?

item

Post by kg1961 »

I use a hk 645 7.1 all the time sounds great and got it for 1/2 off when i bought it
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

The sale price is what drew me to this amp. Although I am still trying to decide between comparable denon and onkyo amps as well. They all seem pretty close which makes the decision even more confusing.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Right now I have a kenwood VR-510 http://hometheater.about.com/blvr-510.htm and its ok but my next amp will be an Onkyo for sure.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Why on earth didn't you buy the 6290 that was on sale for $799 ? That was the hella steal of this boxing day. The one you picked is still decent solid gear. I went Denon last year from Yam and bought the 899.
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

Me-262 wrote:Why on earth didn't you buy the 6290 that was on sale for $799 ? That was the hella steal of this boxing day. The one you picked is still decent solid gear. I went Denon last year from Yam and bought the 899.
I didn't even see the 6290. If it was $799 then it would have been a no-brainer Aside from convincing my better half that we need it. This was just a spur of the moment thing and I didn't end up getting anything. I can't make decisions that fast, and the sale is over. I guess I'll just keep reading up on them and wait for the next sale.

Thanks,
Jason
bruther

Post by bruther »

I use Yamaha RX-v1900 for my receiver and a Rotel RB-1080 power amp. The Rotel powers my front main two channels and the Yamaha powers everything else.
I love them both.
highly recommend
1-Phoenix Gold Outlaw
1-Phoenix Gold Bandit
Pedi
Flærdy flærdy børk børk

Post by Pedi »

I was thinking of getting the Yamaha, like Bruther's... But I fancy more the Onkyo....
Selling your Ti9 mids? PM me, please..

I also need a DD10...
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

BigDaddy wrote:
Me-262 wrote:Why on earth didn't you buy the 6290 that was on sale for $799 ? That was the hella steal of this boxing day. The one you picked is still decent solid gear. I went Denon last year from Yam and bought the 899.
I didn't even see the 6290. If it was $799 then it would have been a no-brainer Aside from convincing my better half that we need it. This was just a spur of the moment thing and I didn't end up getting anything. I can't make decisions that fast, and the sale is over. I guess I'll just keep reading up on them and wait for the next sale.

Thanks,
Jason

Here's your second chance. By luck I dropped by an audio shop today to look at some HT furniture. They had a ton of stuff on sale including a bunch of RX-v1900 which I believe are the same as the 6290. The price is $100 more, $899 not bad considering this is the upscale Yammy. Call these guys up and see if they'll ship it out to you. I don't know them, I'm not affiliated nor do I recommend them since I've never done business with them. I will say their store has been open forever, about 20 years IIRC. They had a bunch of HTR's on sale Yam, Denon, NAD... but if you want that 1900 they had 4-5 sitting in the box.

Good luck !

http://www.audiocentre.ca/

eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

Do check out the new Pioneer Elite ICE receivers as well....they're brilliant...

I've got the LX-71 ( or SC-05 in the US ) and it rocks with plenty of power and quite high fidelity. Pioneer uses the much acclaimed B&O Class D ICE module in the amps stage which also makes them the first to do so in the receiver category .

Check out the raving reviews of these both in Uk and us and there's a thread in avs with real experiences ....and they can be had for a bargain as well...
:wink:
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy »

I guess I should have mentioned that it must be sold by best buy. I have a large credit there which is the only reason I was starting to think about purshasing one. I have my eye on the onkyo 807 for
now. They seem to cycle the amps that are on sale so I'll just keep watching until they mark it down.

Jason