A/V Reciever with pre-amp outs...suggestions?

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

A/V Reciever with pre-amp outs...suggestions?

Post by Ahsmo »

My 2 channel system is not getting used as much as I thought it would so it is time to ditch it.

I need something that does all of the following:

-5.1 channel pre-outs
-Full HDMI support
-CHEAP
-power /channel I don't care I am going to drive small efficient surround speakers for now
-Something that can process all available formats from Bluray discs

I am going to ditch it as soon as I am able to afford an Emotiva UMC-1 and another three channel amp. So CHEAP is a key word. I've been digging around trying to find something for the last few months.

thanks for your help

:D
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Man finding a CHEAP AVR with preouts is tougher than you would think. How many HDMI inputs do you need? Yamaha has one that only has 2 HDMI inputs for $549...probably less "on the street". Other than that, ONkyo, Denon, looks like you have to spend closer to $700-$800 to get preouts. I think that Yamaha is only 5.1 too...a 7.2 channel AVR will have a higher resale value. I can get specifics if you want, but just look at all the brands' websites. :) Onkyo, Integra, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc....
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Buy a Yamaha, you can't go wrong for the price. They make some very reliable stuff with all the features anyone would typically need.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

Eric D wrote:Buy a Yamaha, you can't go wrong for the price. They make some very reliable stuff with all the features anyone would typically need.
x2 I love my Yamaha receiver.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Yamaha RXV-665 is I think the least expensive Yamaha to include preouts on all channels AND all the HDMI stuff you need. MSRP is $549. :)

And I agree that Yamaha builds some rock solid stuff. We do not sell them, but I very rarely see a broken one in the field.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

The Yamaha is a clear winner. There is one on Videogon for 315.00 if my wife gets a job this week, I'm going to pick it up. It helps to have another set of eyes lookin out. Thanks yall.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

When did you get married?
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

June 23 In New York City after my graduation
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Congratulations!
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Thanks I got some picturesEric D
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Okay some Im gunna bump this back up. I never pulled the trigger on the Yamaha because:

Is it possible to pull a pre-amp signal off somewhere inside of a receiver? I am going to trash whatever I end up with eventually and get a devoted high end pre/pro.

So anyone know anything about modern AV receivers to help me find the right place to solder in some wires. I am just going to pick up an extremely in expensive 5.1 channel receiver off craigs list or something

Edit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4 ... Id=9846483 this is more than enough for now
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Before you head down that path, think about a few things first.

At one point I wanted to do a high end preamp and amp setup. After all my research I determined one thing, it is a waste.

The reason I think it is a waste is the high end stuff is about a generation or two behind the main stream stuff. Think about HDMI for example. When it came out, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha and the other big names had it in short time. It still is not on some of the really high end stuff. Now this is more a rule-of-thumb than anything. I have seen a few times when the high end stuff gets a new technology at the same time.

Where I am going with this is if you spend a reasonable but not crazy amount on a nice mainstream receiver, you won't feel as bad dumping it in a year or two when some new feature or technology comes out. My personal plan is to have the best speakers, amplifiers, and sources I can afford, but connect them all to a nice middle to top of the line mainstream receiver (maybe $500-$750). A few years down the road I will dump it and get the newest stuff.

I read somewhere about QHD (quad high definition) which essentially is just 4 streams of HD for 2160p output. HDMI won't have the bandwidth for this. Maybe some new version of displayport will. I would hate to spend $5,000 on a really nice AV preamp, then a year or so later find a Pioneer at Best Buy for $500 with QHD outputs...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Partially the basis for my opinion here is about 15 years ago I bought a $1,500 AV preamp with Dolby Pro-Logic, and S-Video and thought I was set for life. Today that preamp is pretty much useless. My Dad has it in his basement on his fully analog ancient home theater. I am glad he had a use for it, because if I still had it, it would be collecting dust.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

I hear what you are saying and I have realized that what I buy "high end" today will be obsolete in just a few years or in 6 months.

How about just consider my idea a just a means to get by until I can afford the more expensive main stream stuff.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Well, I will switch gears then and say this, do you really need the HDMI support? If you get a used 5.1 receiver (there are thousands to pick from), with optical digital in, you can use your TV as an HDMI switcher and feed the optical signal into the receiver. My TV is not all that special and it has an optical out.

How many HDMI signals do you have?

I can see you might want on screen features, which you would need the HDMI for, but cheaper ones are just HDMI pass through switchers anyway, they don't overlay menus on the HDMI signal, that takes a much more expensive unit.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

Eric D wrote:Well, I will switch gears then and say this, do you really need the HDMI support? If you get a used 5.1 receiver (there are thousands to pick from), with optical digital in, you can use your TV as an HDMI switcher and feed the optical signal into the receiver. My TV is not all that special and it has an optical out.

How many HDMI signals do you have?

I can see you might want on screen features, which you would need the HDMI for, but cheaper ones are just HDMI pass through switchers anyway, they don't overlay menus on the HDMI signal, that takes a much more expensive unit.
What about syncing the audio to video?
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

I took Eric's advise and ended up with this:

http://www.usa.denon.com/productdetails/356.asp

Denon AVR 3805

I picked it up for $288 to my door. I am going to use my TV to switch HDMI inputs.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

I hooked up the AVR 3805 about a week ago. It sounded good and does more things than I will ever care to mess with. It has a built in auto setup that works with a setup mic. I was curious and wondered how it worked. So I looked around for a mic...

I thought I would try my luck at ordering stuff from China over Ebay and I ordered the mic specifically made by Denon for this thing. I spent 15 dollars on the mic and I really didn't expect to see it for another few weeks(or at all) but to my surprise it got here in about a week. I did the auto setup which I really didn't expect to notice much difference...I am blown away at how good everything sounds. I am using speakers from different manufactures for now. Despite that everything is balanced now.

The only thing that went bad on this deal was the remote that came with the receiver was semi-operational. The volume buttons didn't work but this motivated me to pick-up a universal remote.

So, thank you Eric for the idea. It has worked out better than I ever expected.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
holmis

Post by holmis »

The future in signaltransfer in A/V products goes towards network/cat6 ...

A future the computerindustry har known for years...
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

holmis wrote:The future in signaltransfer in A/V products goes towards network/cat6 ...

A future the computerindustry har known for years...
This thing has a Denon link thing that I have seen very little of other than in the manual. I think it uses cat5or6
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I have that same Denon!

Great little unit if you don't need HDMI although I must say the remote is a battery eating POS.

BUT I still really like it. I hope you enjoy it until you "upgrade" to the high end stuff :)
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I have that same Denon!

Great little unit if you don't need HDMI although I must say the remote is a battery eating POS.

BUT I still really like it. I hope you enjoy it until you "upgrade" to the high end stuff :)
"upgrade" :roll:
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4