New computer build

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
ChaosWarlord26

New computer build

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

Alright guys I know it has been a few weeks since I have been on here. Work has been completely slammed and I have been doing a lot of computer side work as well. But in the midst of everything I have managed to acquire some new computer components to build me a new system. I know that Stipud is also very computer savvy and though he would enjoy this small thread.

The new desktop I am building is in a custom case and the specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad 8600 2.66ghz
Asus P5N-d Nvidia 750i Motherboard
Thermaltake Purepower 600 watt PSU
Thermaltake V1 AX CPU cooler
Western Digital 1TB HD
BFG Nvidia GTX260 GPU

For case cooling I will have 4 - 80 mm fans in the front pulling in air, 2 fans in the rear exhausting air, 1 fan in the top exhausting air, and 1 fan on the side exhausting air as well.

Here are the links for the products I am receiving.

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/defau ... DC=1831670
http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/defau ... DC=1755685
http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/defau ... DC=1680578
http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/defau ... DC=1448316
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

The best part about all of this is that I only had to pay for the video card and 4 case fans. I will do my best to have pics up later this evening.
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If all you had to buy was the card and some fans, that is a pretty good deal indeed.

With that many fans though, it might sound like a leaf blower.

I use water cooling in my main PC, but it still has one fan left in the power supply. Even with this one fan you cannot hear the system running.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

I am running an EVGA gtx 260, though mine is roughly what would be considered a 270 due to the factory mods it came with, I must state it is a Kickass card! Great choice. I also use an ASUS motherboard and have had no problems what so ever.
MS275, MS2250ta, MS2125TA, Bandit, M44, ZX200, EQ215, EQ230, TX2, PDL1, TBAT Trans+Recvr w/cable
ChaosWarlord26

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

I have to apologize for not getting oics up like I said, but I have an unforeseen issue arise. I am now down in my back an can barely even move this morning to get to work. I was actually moving this computer last night and my back gave a loud crack and that was all she wrote. I would say my PC would weigh in somewhere around 50lbs. and it was just an awkward twist when I was setting it down.
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Good luck with that.

A similar situation happened to me, other than it was a snowmobile not a computer. Five years and one back surgery later, I can get around, but lost half the feeling in my right foot so I don't walk well, and at least one day a week I can't get out of bed without a significant amount of effort and time.

I took my back for granted. Don't be like me. If you get it working again, make a conscious effort to take it easy on it the rest of your life and you probably won't have any more issues.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Nice deal on only having to pay for a fraction of the total cost!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
joyride

Post by joyride »

Sounds like you will have a good build going there. Money has prohibited me from starting on my build. I was thinking of going with a q6600, but I think Im just going to save some more and get an i5.

I used to game quite a bit, but now my computer will mostly be for rendering with v-ray or NXT. Now I just use the PS3 for gaming.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Piecing together PCs always seems cheap until you add it all up at the end. Glad you lucked out and only had to pay for a few items. I found out the hard way that my custom built PC using cheap old used parts was just as expensive as a better new one in the end :doh:
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

Here is the computer specs from the one I built Oct. 2008
Thermaltake armour mx+ case
Asus rampage formula x48 motherboard
Intel Q9550 processor 2.83 ghz @ 3.5ghz
OCZ PLATINUM XTC PC2 6400 4GB 2X2 ddr2 dual channel ram
OCZ PLATINUM XTC PC2 6400 4GB 2X2 ddr2 dual channel ram
EVGA 9800GTX+
Seagate barracuda 640GB sata2 HDD X2
Thermaltake toughpower 750 watt psu

This one should last me forever or until something breaks I can't see me needing anything better.Here is a couple pics of it I take pics of everything.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

This one should last me forever or until something breaks I can't see me needing anything better.
I say the same thing about stereo equipment...
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

dwnrodeo wrote:
This one should last me forever or until something breaks I can't see me needing anything better.
I say the same thing about stereo equipment...
10 year old stereo equipment is as good as today's stuff... 10 year old computers definitely aren't.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

What I am saying is unless something frys I shouldn't need anything faster, more memory or a better video card. I know computers get outdated but this one is pretty good still for todays standards and its over a year old already
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

gridracer wrote:What I am saying is unless something frys I shouldn't need anything faster, more memory or a better video card. I know computers get outdated but this one is pretty good still for todays standards and its over a year old already
Yeah man, my 486 runs Windows 3.1 great. I can get on the internets with Trumpet WinSock and Netscape 2.0 in 256 glorious colors :lol:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Hey, I just recently pulled out my old Abit BP-6 with dual Celeron 400MHz CPUs. That thing still rocks the shizzle :D
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
ChaosWarlord26

Post by ChaosWarlord26 »

You all crack me up..still no pics due to the broken down back but I promise as soon as it is better I will get some. Right now I have the 2.66 overclocked to 3.07 and it doesn't even bother to get warm even when playing overlord. I know that game is not real demanding compared to what is out there but I do not have one that will fully push it.

I am glad to see I have started a good discussion though.
Extreme Goddamn Ouch!!
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

Yeah I got a wild hair in me and started building a new one. I went the cheap route with AMD but with the new AM3 platform I am hoping I am slightly future proofing.
Gigabyte ma785gt mobo
AMD phenom II x4 955 OCed at 3.8
OCZ platnium ddr3 2x2Gb OCed at 1600mhz 7-7-7-24
Cooler Master silent pro 600watt PS
Liteon DVD-RAM

I picked up a xion axp600 case and am very pleased with it. Plenty of room and air flow. It has 4 hot-swappable SATA bays in the front a bumped out back for cable management and enough room to fit the beast that is the hd5870 GPU that I am waiting to buy. Right now I have alittle less than 600 doll hairs in it :P so after the Gpu ill be looking at about a grand. As of right now it is dual booted with a cracked version of xp and ubuntu 64 bit until I can justify spending dough on win 7. I can play battlefield 2 (not BC 2) and Oblivion maxed out on the integrated graphics. I believe it is an ati hd4200 chipset. I have it clocked at 900 mhz and 512 of ram biased to it. I was pretty impressed. I still need a blue-ray drive, GPU, and a better CPU cooler but "rome wasnt built in a day"

edit: i guess my ram timings werent what I said they were. just booted up the beast and it was 11-11-11-37 or some shit like that. i will have to play with this for sure. anyway i wanted to get that out before someone cant boot to bios because they tried to run their ram at 1600mhz with those timings. ive got mine at 7-7-7-27 right now at 1066 mhz. It truly runs the same and was very close with benchmark tests.
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!