Value sub to match up with Paradigm Atoms

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Value sub to match up with Paradigm Atoms

Post by dedlyjedly »

I'm trying to piece together an inexpensive stereo system for my brother and would love to hear some suggestions for a sub to match up with a pair of Paradigm Atoms.

And while I'm at it...is it possible to get a basic stereo receiver? something with just am/fm/aux/stereo power without all the multichannel excess?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

My Paradigm monitor 5's work amazingly well with my Peerless XLS + passive radiator in a 2cuft box. I have one of the cheap BASH 500w plate amps. It's crossed over as low as it can go, and turned up maybe 5% the dial. I bet you could get away without the passive radiator and half the power with the Atoms.

My other suggestion would be a Dayton reference SQ sub. It's probably a bit cheaper and they are tough to beat for a clean cheap home sub.

And yes I still see a lot of stereo receivers, but they often have the bare minimum feature set as well unfortunately. I was looking into buying one from Yamaha, but it ended up being the same price as my Audiosource gear, so I picked that up instead.

Not sure I would recommend Audiosource after all the issues i've had with them. All 3 amps broke a couple times... easy fixes but still :roll:. My EQ has a constant static buzz when I turn it on. The Amp One, Amp 100, etc. seem to be really cheaply made, although still probably better than any receiver. The Amp Seven-T prototype is AWESOME, but I had my Tripath chip fail twice already (this one has held on for a few years now thank god). My tuner has worked flawlessly but its got a few engineering oversights (like not being able to configure radio presets 10 and 20). The remote only seems to work with a totally clear line of sight, and it lacks all the tuner features he would probably want.
Ahsmo
Ssssssailor

Post by Ahsmo »

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

I have a sub from this company and it blends pretty well with my Paradigm Studio 60s. It is crossed over pretty low but it sounds good.
'98 Maxima gone
'03 350z gone
08' Silverado gone
13' Audi S4
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

A used Martin Logan Dynamo would run you around $350 or so. I loved mine when I had it.