found these yesterday...dirt cheap

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
bogart

found these yesterday...dirt cheap

Post by bogart »

klipsch cornwall cd-bb's made in 76...they are freaking badass. paid 100 a driver....not too bad, as with refinishing the 70's klipschorns will be worth bout a grand....from what I am seeing.

Dad had a set of cornwall's when we were younger before he got his big altec's and they kicked ass. These were black and sadly they got rattle canned in the 80's to go in a club...if you guys ain't heard old klipsch and altec stuff...you are missing out.

I unfortunatly don't have anything that will run them...four ohm drivers and I won't try it on either on the onkyo's that I have...6min....my amp 300 won't do it without a pre amp and these were never made to see anything like 225 per, so I may fire em up today on the bench...an ms250 should actually run these quite well....hell of a set of bench speaker!!!! whoo hooo who loves horns here besides me!!!!

enjoy the pics
Attachments
IMGP2398.JPG
IMGP2398.JPG (75.04 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMGP2399.JPG
IMGP2399.JPG (115.19 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMGP2400.JPG
IMGP2400.JPG (78.81 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMGP2401.JPG
IMGP2401.JPG (122.63 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMGP2402.JPG
IMGP2402.JPG (65.04 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMGP2403.JPG
IMGP2403.JPG (71.5 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Nice. I love the old Klipsch horns. Not the most accurate speakers, but they have an amazing tone.
bogart

Post by bogart »

Well, I got these on my dc bench a few days back to play with them and really see what they are about. First, I tried to run them on an ms250, way way way too much power...pretty harsh. So, I now have them running on the front channels of an old harmon kardon ca60q now and all I can say is wow....

These are the most efficent speakers I have EVER seen or heard. No, they are not the most accurate drivers while playing loud....and they will get retarded loud on the 15watts rms that they are getting...nice bass response and they are very tonal.

I am thinking that I may well dump my Monitor 70s and wharfedales and see if I can find another set of the mid 70's cornwall's, or maybe a fixer upper set of La Scalla's....I love la scalla's....but cheap ones are still 800 to a grand.

I am interested in hearing them on a decent tube amp...seen a few good old Scott tube amps that have been gone through fairly cheap. They really make the monitors seem flat and lifeless...and the monitors really arn't all that impressive till you get a couple hundred watts on them.

Quite happy to have found these....they shall remain with me for a great long while I am thinking....

The white paint is an eye sore...but the simplicity of rebuilding the cabnet's is nearly laughable.

The alinco drivers on the bottom are the same as the drivers in the jensen folded imperials and I just happen to have the design blueprint for those cabnets.....hmmmmm. I think I have been to stuck on dc gear all these years....and I have apparently been missing out. I remember Dad's old systems fondly....but that was mostly just cause we could rail rush's 2112 and rock the entire block....now, a bit more mature, I can appriciate the quality of sound and build...and I can now understand the numerous ass beatings we endured for messing with his systems.
gridracer
RIP

Post by gridracer »

I used to have a pair of klipsch lascalla's but when I worked at the one shop I ended up buying a set of cerwin vegas vs100's due to size. I wish I still had the lascalla's. Also had some audiosphere research 18" man were those loud.
Check my buyer/seller ratings http://phoenixphorum.com/gridracer-vt4548.html

I have more PG stuff than one guy ever needs.
bogart

Post by bogart »

I havn't ever been into vega's beyond the os strokers....freind has d9's...they are frigging loud as all shit and the bass....wow...but I think that they are a bit out classed by the old klipschorns

there is a set of la scalla'a on cl here in great shape for 1300...not to bad really considering the condition....if only I could sell my soul.....again

not too sure what the particular drivers are you refered to though....will check em out....
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

yeah im a horn lover. like stipud said those old klipsh would never win an rta but the dynamics make you feel like you are there. :twisted:
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I wonder if there are any driver/crossover upgrades available for these. Nico upgraded his La Scalas and I was very impressed with the difference over the old worn out parts.
bogart

Post by bogart »

I am not to sure...I 've seen the upgrade x overs for the la scalla's and the khorns and have read the reveiws on them on the klipsch forum. Fuck, I may just buy a set of la scala's once I am back from Alaska

I've going over the sales brouchures for the heritage drivers and from what I am seeing, these were designed to be run as center channels with the la scalla's as the apex drivers....I can not imagine the impact that stage would have in a large room.

I've also seen some pics of folks building upgraded cabnets and adding a second low frequecy radiator much like the altec a6's...I am not certain what they did for x overs....most likely built them themselves....those guys are a crafty lot for sure....