wireless routter

Want your home to sound as good as your car? Need help buying electronics? Computer problems?
sploosh369

wireless routter

Post by sploosh369 »

I'm in Afghanistan and we just got internet in our rooms a few days ago. They ran individual ethernet cables for every person from whatever equipment they used (routers and satalite signal boxes and whatnot). now i have internet if i hook my laptop straight to the ethernet cable, but i cannot figure out how to get it to work through a wireless router. I'm not sure if i have to set it up as a static IP or what, and if i did i don't know how to get the proper IP and subnet mask and whatever else from my laptop while it is connected.
tonym

Post by tonym »

you prolly need the wep key.....if the wireless is secured...if its open no key needed...but be advised....any thing you type I could grab also if I were on the unencrypted network ..
sploosh369

Post by sploosh369 »

i think yo umay have not understood what i am trying to do. i have my own wireless router that i am trying to hook up to the ethernet cables that they ran for all of us so i can have my own wireless network. i cant seem to figure out how to get the router to get the internet though. i can get it perfectly fine if i connect my laptop straight to the cable.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

does your pc not find it in the network list, or do you not know where the network list is?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
sploosh369

Post by sploosh369 »

i can connect to the router perfectly fine. i am not receiving internet through the router though.
holmis

Post by holmis »

Set the router to recive IP address automaticly

It should be named : Automatic Configuration - DHCP

That should fix it...

//Asle
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
sploosh369

Post by sploosh369 »

DHCP is the protocall that assigns an ip address to your computer when you connnect to the router. It really doesn't have anything to do with the connection between router and ISP. Now dynamic IP on the other hand might be what your thinking of where you recieve your ip address and other settings from your ISP. This will not work on my router though because i am connecting it to another wired router (that sends internet into all 8 of our rooms) that is connected to the satalite receiving unit. Im pretty sure i need to set up my router with a static ip to connect to the wired router and get internet through it. i had it to the point that i could ping the wired router but was still not recieving internet through it.
holmis

Post by holmis »

Because you are AFTER another router, you have to set the router to RECIVE an IP adress for you . If your computer get internet accsess just by inserting the Ethernet Cable, the computer does exactly that... Auto DHCP.... You have to set the router the same way, so it just forwards an ip thru to your computer via the wireless...
& in the router you got to DISABLE the DHCP server, so the router just forwards IPs...
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
sploosh369

Post by sploosh369 »

oh ok now that makes some sense. im gonna try disabling dhcp on the wireless router and see what happens. thanks =)
eulogious
"Loogie"

wireless routter

Post by eulogious »

You are most likely going to have a hard time getting it to work because they are already running some sort of NAT(network address translation), and trying to NAT within a NAT (this is what the "wireless router" does is NAT) you are going to have problems. You need to setup two different networks, most likely the router is trying to use the same network address as what it has for the Internet, so it gets confused.

Turning off dhcp will only make it so can't get an ip unless you assign the computer one. Problem with that is you have to change the ip on the router as well.

As a starting point, with your laptop plugged in and working on the Internet, what is your IP address? Then connect up to your wireless router, what's your IP address then?

This way we can tell if you need to setup different networks.

Would also help to know the settings of your router. It's IP address, how it gets it's Internet IP that sort if thing.

Once we know those things we can start to figure out why you can't get it to work...
KDC x869
MB Quart RVF-216 6.5
SLD44
white zx450v2
white zx500
white BassCUBE
RSdC124
ZP Fuse Distro
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: wireless routter

Post by stipud »

Actually, he got it working by disabling DHCP... the posts were just lost in the forum move ;)
eulogious
"Loogie"

wireless routter

Post by eulogious »

Lol well awesome then! :). That's what happens when you disappear for a while ;)
KDC x869
MB Quart RVF-216 6.5
SLD44
white zx450v2
white zx500
white BassCUBE
RSdC124
ZP Fuse Distro